Tata Sky vs. Videocon D2H

Polaris

Hi,

I'm switching to HD soon and I'd like to know what advantages Videocon provides over Tata Sky and vice versa. I'm currently using Tata Sky SD and am reasonably satisfied with their service and equipment. How would Videocon compare on this front?

Videocon D2H will provide 10 more HD channels over TataSky (21 vs. 11). Videocon D2H is somewhat cheaper also. The DTH PQ is at par with the best. No idea on customer support.

Videocon D2H will provide 10 more HD channels over TataSky (21 vs. 11). Videocon D2H is somewhat cheaper also. The DTH PQ is at par with the best. No idea on customer support.

What about audio on HD channels. Is it 5.1 or 2.0?

VideoconD2H has started 5.1 Dolby Audio on most of the HD channels which are originally broadcast in 5.1 sound.
few channels like Zee TV HD, Zee Cinema HD, Ten HD, MAX HD, ESPN HD, Star Cricket HD don't provide 5.1 sound, only Stereo sound. So don't expect 5.1 on these channels. If you see 5.1 sound on any of these channels, then it's not right. i.e. DTH provider has upconverted stereo sound to 5.1 which will sound worse than original stereo broadcast.

Would you really care for 5.1 sound on soap operas? Only movies matter. Plus one needs a proper HT setup to enjoy 5.1 sound.

Technobhatt has answered your querry correctly.

Hi,

I'm switching to HD soon and I'd like to know what advantages Videocon provides over Tata Sky and vice versa. I'm currently using Tata Sky SD and am reasonably satisfied with their service and equipment. How would Videocon compare on this front?

I recently made a switch to Videocon HD from Reliance Big Tv and totally satisfied by it. If you own a full HD TV then it is best to go for a provider which has maximum no. of HD channels. And Videocon has an edge here.
And believe me once you start watching HD channels, you woulndt want to watch any SD channel :).

Also Videcon has priced their HD channel package cheaper when compared to Tata sky HD. So it's a true VFM at the moment in market.

Moreover technobhatt has correctly answered query on sound.

If you are Audio/Video quality conscious, then go for Tata Sky (costly) otherwise Videocon is best for now.

If you are Audio/Video quality conscious, then go for Tata Sky (costly) otherwise Videocon is best for now.
I had a demo of Videocon D2H at a friend's place. I didn't find it any inferior. Only thing (based on various forum posts) is that 5.1 sound is not via HDMI but by optical/coaxial only. That is not a drawback in a big manner.

would never go for DISH HD. Considering, I have owned the SD for over 3 years and had really bad customer support.
The D2H wins my vote for being the most economical package alone with pretty good PQ. The HD Channels are sufficient for every type of user and the recent update brings video recording in Non-DVR STB.

Some genuine problems I have seen with the Airtel HD DTH :
The Package is quite expensive. By quite expensive, it is not worth the money paid. The quality is not that great.
Crappy Airtel Customer Care Support. Their new services are often stagnated with bad support services.
Problem in updates. Airtel did eventually launch the IPTV as the next big thing. But, now they discontinued it due to bad policing and lack of updated support(HD-Support).
They Promise too much, but give too less.

I haven't much used the TS so I do not comment about it. However, one of my friends owns it, and regrets after seeing the D2H.

If you are looking for great audio/video with a great customer support, I can surely vouch for TataSky. Videocon must be good also, but I somehow find HD pics of TataSky is slightly better then videocon. Choice is upto you.

I'm looking to switch too and feel videocon and tata sky are the current top providers in India. And currently videocon had the max not of HD channels on offer. Personally I am leaning towards videocon as they are cheaper too

After a long loyalty to TS and invested best of TS SD DVR and HD DVR, last sunday I finally migrated to Videocon HD. I compared this 2 service providers on my same LCD using dual HDMI ports, my conclusion, first impression, Lipsync Lags :( called CC, wasted my time, shot a mail, shitted on Twitter and FB, ppl came running to my home and simply resetted the STB and downloaded a newer firmaware. Now i am ready for comparison. Videocon D2h's SD picture quality is superior than TS, some HD channels are inferior to TS HD. On Audio front, D2h is nowhere near to TS, now my kids are insisting me to be back on TS HD !! But will remigrate once activation of GSAT 10 Feeds. Both are VFM, but TS is great with STB features and customerCare.

I Love Tapatalk on my IPhone

I had a demo of Videocon D2H at a friend's place. I didn't find it any inferior. Only thing (based on various forum posts) is that 5.1 sound is not via HDMI but by optical/coaxial only. That is not a drawback in a big manner.

Yes, it was mentioned in another thread too. It is considered as drawback because of number of cables. But I guess there is some difference in Audio quality too, read somewhere that Videocon is compressing the AV quality to increase the bandwidth (or something like space) that's why they have more channels than TS (not sure, even read vice a versa :mad:)

If you are looking for great audio/video with a great customer support, I can surely vouch for TataSky. Videocon must be good also, but I somehow find HD pics of TataSky is slightly better then videocon. Choice is upto you.
Yes, Heard it from many Videocon and TS users. I believe their is reality.

Both are VFM, but TS is great with STB features and customerCare.
Customer Service is BEST PLUS POINT of TS

Yes, it was mentioned in another thread too. It is considered as drawback because of number of cables. But I guess there is some difference in Audio quality too, read somewhere that Videocon is compressing the AV quality to increase the bandwidth (or something like space) that's why they have more channels than TS (not sure, even read vice a versa :mad:)

Since I mostly buy all my favourite movies on BD, I really don't care about audio quality of any DTH provider.

Sent from my GT-I9100G using Tapatalk 2

I've been a tata sky customer since the very beginning. Been totally satisfied as far as CC is concerned. PQ for HD channels is great (can't talk about SQ as I only use the crappy TV speakers). It's costlier than Videocon and has less HD channels (though that should change once the new satellite starts working, which shouldn't be too long now) but my main problem with tata sky is SD channel's quality when you're using the HD box. I don't know why but when I watch tv on my friends/relative's home using tata sky SD box, the video quality is much better than what I get for the same SD channel on my HD box. Thought it was just me imagining things but when one of my friends upgraded to TS HD last month, he also mentioned the same thing. HD channels look great but SD channels now look quite a bit a bit worse. Not a deal breaker once more channels get converted to HD but until then its a big -ve IMO. Will consider changing to Videocon once my current yearly subscription ends in august this year, unless I see this issue fixed or if tata sky adds enough HD channels to make sure I don't bother with SD channels anymore.

my main problem with tata sky is SD channel's quality when you're using the HD box. I don't know why but when I watch tv on my friends/relative's home using tata sky SD box, the video quality is much better than what I get for the same SD channel on my HD box. Thought it was just me imagining things but when one of my friends upgraded to TS HD last month, he also mentioned the same thing. HD channels look great but SD channels now look quite a bit a bit worse.

In HD box it looks like because we have HD channels too and our mind compares the quality and decides SDs are ugly, but in only SD box all look same (so no comparison). :D

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back