Technics 1200, flight case & dust cover...

perceptionist

Hey all, I'm new here. I just bought my first Technics SL-1200 Mk2 turntable. :yahoo:

I got a really good deal (I think) $200 for a TT in excellent condition although a better cart is in order and one is on the way. It does not appear to have been used for anything that would lend it to abuse.

I plan to use it for home listening but for those times when I relocate I would really like to get one of those flight cases like the DJs use to tote their TTs around.

Mine did not come with a dust cover and I also have one of those on the way. Before I decide on a flight case, could someone tell me if those flight cases will house the turntable with its dust cover attached?

Thanks!

Hey all, I'm new here. I just bought my first Technics SL-1200 Mk2 turntable. :yahoo:

I got a really good deal (I think) $200 for a TT in excellent condition although a better cart is in order and one is on the way. It does not appear to have been used for anything that would lend it to abuse.

I plan to use it for home listening but for those times when I relocate I would really like to get one of those flight cases like the DJs use to tote their TTs around.

Mine did not come with a dust cover and I also have one of those on the way. Before I decide on a flight case, could someone tell me if those flight cases will house the turntable with its dust cover attached?

Thanks!

I am not sure about the flight cases for TT but it is sure that you need not carry TT with its platter in place attached to main bearing. Otherwise it will damage the main bearing. I hope that case should take care of this.
You need to carry plinth, dustcover, platter and headshell with cartridge separately packed.

Congratulations on this acquisition Perceptionist :). A great deal as well.

1200mk2 is a one fine TT I must say.

If I am not wrong I think flight cases do accomodate the dust covers as well. Flight cases do come in various sizes. Whats your location and maybe we can suggest a few.

Cheers...

Thanks!

Congrats! I know your location is Earth - but where exactly did you get it from? Neptune ? :rolleyes:

How much?
What phono do you plan to use?

--G0bble

Hey guys thanks for the replies, I am in Washington State in the U.S. The cartridge I went with for my initial trial was the Sure M97xE. I plan to start another thread to ask how that cart measures against a couple on my future considerations: Denon DL-110 and Audio Technica AT120E/T. I haven't set my sights toward Moving Coil price range just yet :p

From my visual online reviews of various flight cases, it appears they have a foam pad in the lid which is designed to snug against the platter for transport, however none of the product info write ups on any of the cases I've looked at make any mention of ability to accommodate the dust cover. From what I have seen it seems that DJ's ditch their dust covers the moment they get their TTs and it seems these flight cases are designed to tote the TT w/o the dust cover, but I can't really be certain being new to the game on all fronts.

I would imagine if a case were to allow the inclusion of a dust cover, then in that instance it would certainly be imperative to remove the platter as it would not be held securely in place by the foam on the case lid due to obstruction by the dust cover.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back