Technics EPC-270C II Cartridge performance with Jico and Nagaoka Stylus

Selvin

Technics EPC-270C is one of the best cartridge I listened and it out performs many cartridges which are cost about 200$. It is bit less dynamic compare to today's modern cartridges but its strength is sweet midrange. That is the reason why almost all aftermarket stylus makers still making stylus for EPC-270C cartridge. It may not go well with English albums but for Indian Hindi or Tamil film music 270C is my choice even over Otrofon 2M Blue or AT 440MLB. There are two version of this cartridge EPC-270C and EPC-270C II. I have both and both are almost same performance and tonal quality but 270C II is marginally better in refinement.

Aftermarket Stylus are available for 270C in both Conical and Elliptical form from many brands, but no comparison in net about these styluses. I have chosen from the well-known reputed brands Jico and Nagaoka for this comparison. Both are bonded diamond elliptical type tip. Here is my observation on both stylus.

20190908_180622.jpg

Fit and Finish: Both make stylus are extremely good in finish and fits in the cartridge firmly without any issue. However, I feel the Nagaoka is sliding inside the Cartridge body with free and feel of right amount out contact pressure than Jico. Jico slides inside bit free without any counter feel. Here my choice is Nagaoka. Visually there is bit of shade difference if we kept side by side. Nagaoka bit lean on blue side and Jico towards bit green pixels.

Setup :

Turntable : Technics 1200MK3 with stock arm
Cartridge Body : EPC-270C II
Amplifier & Phono : Marantz PM-14SE
Speaker : Focal Aria 926.

The cartridge was aligned with 230mm arc protractor with 5X magnifying glass and Stylus pressure set at 1.75g with Shure SFG-2 stylus pressure gauge. Both stylus were burn-in about 50 hours before critical comparison. No measuring instruments used for any measurements and observation based on self-ear judgement.

Performance :

Both Nagaoka and Jico are initially bit harder and less detailed sound and took about 30 hours to settle. Also, both stylus are loving correct alignment and even small error resulting as inner grove distortion. Both are giving equal output / Sound pressure level while playing same record. Left and Right channels are balance in both stylus. Both stylus are gave sweet spot to me at 1.75g stylus pressure. But here Jico is too sensitive, even + 0.01g variation changing the sound harder and un pleasant. Above 1.8g pressure it is completely boomy and irritating. Similarly below 1.75g pressure it not tracking well. Nagaoka is bit forgiving nature for stylus pressure. It is giving natural sound at 1.75g and from 1.75- 1.8g an incremental of every 0.01g its tonal changing from Neutral to warmer as like adjusting in equalizer… I settled at 1.77g where it provides thicker warm vocal which I prefer. Above 1.8g Nagaoka also sounding lifeless.

Tonally both stylus are bit different kind. Jico sounding warmer with bit more midbass so we feel bit less detailed. Nagaoka sounding more Neutral with sweet mid. Bass region both are equally good but Nagaoka bass is more tight and less boomy than Jico. High Frequency response also equally good in both but quick side by side comparison of same track reveals that Nagaoka is bit more sparkle than Jico due to its neutral character.

Hmmm.. I am changing both stylus again and again to pick one from these two.. sorry unable. Both are equally good to me. But if someone put a pistol on my head and ask me to choose one then I may pick Jico. The reason it is 5$ cheaper than Nagaoka and personally I prefer bit warmer sound.

The final words as below..

Nagaoka: Neutral sound, Bit more detailed, Forgive small misalignment / tracking force.
Jico : Warmer sound. Too sensitive on alignment / tracking force.

Technics EPC-270C is one of the best cartridge I listened and it out performs many cartridges which are cost about 200$. It is bit less dynamic compare to today's modern cartridges but its strength is sweet midrange.

Hello sir
Congratulations for the beautiful writeup - lucid and professional.

Any thoughts on the Shure 44/7 compared to 270c.

Regards

Selvin, Nagaoka M100 is conical styli and it's said that it's forgiving nature on 'not so good' records. It's good tracker also. Have you tried?

Hello sir
Congratulations for the beautiful writeup - lucid and professional.

Any thoughts on the Shure 44/7 compared to 270c.

Regards
I have Shure M44 also. Somehow I feel it is V curve signature. I mean Heavy bass Good treble but poor in midrange.. it is not my cup of tea. I need full bodied midrange with good bass and treble. But M44 is a good tracker, forgive record scratches and even works well with low gain phono stages.. thanks to its high output. It is a good cartridge to use with inbuilt phono of AVR's and entry level amps. High end amplifiers show it flaws....

One more point I forgot to wrote here.. that is playing quality on scratched records. Here both Jico and Nagaoka are equally good. Both don't expect Near mint records and even play well VG grade records.

Selvin, thanks for the detailed review of the EPC270C with Jico and Nagaoka stylus. I too had similar views about the EPC cartridge compared vis-a-vis Ortofon cartridge + aftermarket tonar OM-30 stylus. Ortofon though sounding good is not able to match dynamics of the EPC cartridge. The Ortofon is a technically perfect cartridge and sound but the EPC gave life and body to the music with ease without much caring about technicalities.

The cartridge was aligned with 230mm arc protractor with 5X magnifying glass and Stylus pressure set at 1.75g with Shure SFG-2 stylus pressure gauge.
Can we use the Technics Overhang gauge for this cartridge for the alignment without any protractor?

Can we use the Technics Overhang gauge for this cartridge for the alignment without any protractor?
The overhang gauge provides tentative Effective Length (Stylus tip arc). Further You need the protractor to set correct Offset Angle.

The overhang gauge provides tentative Effective Length (Stylus tip arc). Further You need the protractor to set correct Offset Angle.
Thank you, where did you buy the Nagaoka stylus for this cart? How much? Thanks.

Selvin, other than Technics TTs, will this EPC-270 carts perform well in other vintage TTs like Pioneer, Philips, Akai , Sony? or is it suitable only for Technics TTs? Thank you.

Selvin, other than Technics TTs, will this EPC-270 carts perform well in other vintage TTs like Pioneer, Philips, Akai , Sony? or is it suitable only for Technics TTs? Thank you.
Yes.. it will work with other medium mass tonearm TTs.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back