Technics SL D 202 Not spinning

mahaaprasaad

Dear friends. I am new here and seek your help in getting my Technics SL D 202 (Direct Drive), semi-automatic turntable playing.

With lot of interest in vinyls, I purchased this used turntable from one of my friend in Bangalore few weeks back. It was running fine. Since few days, I am facing some strange problem.

I switch it on, cue up the tone arm, move it manually towards the platter, the platter starts spinning. I will cue down the arm on the spinning vinyl, the song will start playing in perfect speed and clear sound. But, the platter stops its rotation after a first song or after 2 to 3 Minutes of running. That is the end for the day. It never starts once again if I try to re-do the same exercise. Strangely:lol:, if I do it next day, once again it will run for 3 to 4 minutes and stops. Some times it will play entire disc(one side) and Auto return works very fine. But, I can not play the reverse side, it runs for one are two minutes again and stops like a tired worker. No further negotiation helps.

When I try to spin the platter by hand(with power off), it rotates very smooth and quite and will run for at least 1 minute, so there is no problem of friction or dirt. There is no harsh or some hindering sound.

I could able to lift the platter. There is no motor like thing or parts to be lubricated. But a magnetic plate(like clutch plates of the automobile) on both Platter and Turntable surface. The surfaces of the these magnetic discs are very clean and smooth. However I have not tried opening of bottom and to interfere with the mechanics.

I have searched the forum and googled to check whether such problem is experienced any where, but no results. I seek some help from the fellow member of the forum to attend DIY basis(if possible), or suggest any good technician in Bangalore who can repair such type of turntables.

Thanks in advance

Hi Mahaaprasad, have some questions for you here.

1) After playing for 3 to 4 minutes with perfect speed, you say that your turntable stops rotating. Just before stopping does the playing speed slow down (for 1 or 2 seconds before stopping)?

2) Does the tonearm automatically return to base when the turntable stops after 3 to 4 minutes?

3) Start playing a record and after about 10 or 15 seconds into the track, hit the stop button. Does the speed slow down/tone arm return immediately or does this happen after the same 3-4 minutes?

Please post your answers to these questions for aiding further diagnosis. At first look (with the limited info you've provided), seems like your TT's stop button or the electronics associated with the stop function are not working properly.

Hi Mahaaprasad, have some questions for you here.

1) After playing for 3 to 4 minutes with perfect speed, you say that your turntable stops rotating. Just before stopping does the playing speed slow down (for 1 or 2 seconds before stopping)?

Yes it slowdowns gradually and stops, I hope it might be due to momentum of the plotter.

Does the tonearm automatically return to base when the turntable stops after 3 to 4 minutes?

No, it will not come back to its place. Since I fear to move it with hand, I will rotate the wheel little bit by hand, press stop button, then it automatically comes back and que down.

Start playing a record and after about 10 or 15 seconds into the track, hit the stop button. Does the speed slow down/tone arm return immediately or does this happen after the same 3-4 minutes?

Yes, whenever it is rotating, If I press the Stop button, the Auto return function works flawless and disc stops.

Thanks for your query and I hope you can help me in this regard

Dear friends,

Still looking for some help in this regard.

Thanks

Go here and download any SL-D2 or SL-D20 service manual. They are electronically same. I referred D2 while cleaning same model which is now with FM 'apk'.

Please let us know what Mains Voltage required for your TT - 230 or 110V. It may be that some chip or regulator going to protection mode after overheating.

Last edited:
Thank you sir,

I have downloaded the service manual. Look into that, to understand something since I am not an electronics guy. There is voltage a pin, which is set correctly for 230v, no problem with voltage I believe.

From the symptoms mentioned, it does not look to be a problem with the stop button. Issues with stop buttons on Technics SL Series Direct Drive TTs are quite common. You will need to take a good look at the mechanics and electricals inside. First check the mechanics, ensure that there is nothing in the way causing any restriction of movement (like wires, etc). If this is not the case, you will have to refer to the manual and check whether the mechanicals are properly aligned. If its the electronics, its not going to be easy to fix without some knowledge of electronics. One can start here by running some basic checks on the semiconductors.

PS: Sorry for the delay in replying as I was out of station, thanks.

Yes it slowdowns gradually and stops, I hope it might be due to momentum of the plotter.

No, it will not come back to its place. Since I fear to move it with hand, I will rotate the wheel little bit by hand, press stop button, then it automatically comes back and que down.

Yes, whenever it is rotating, If I press the Stop button, the Auto return function works flawless and disc stops.

Thanks for your query and I hope you can help me in this regard

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back