Technics Turntable SL 26

Anyone have any idea about SL 26 and SL 2000...which one is better??

Sl 2000 is a direct drive manual TT. It is an entry level turntable.

Sl 26 is a belt drive manual.
It seems sl 26 is higher up in the chain than sl 2000 which would make sl 26 to be a better TT.

Also sl 2000 has an ic that is unobtanium.

IMHO in the long run sl 26 would be easy to maintain.

I will advise you to wait for the more experienced FMs as they will certainly give better advise owing to their distilled wisdom.

If you need constant stable rpm then the direct drive is better. Belt drive tend to fluctuate on speed. Not that noticeable but sharp ears and a matured audiophile can.
Belt drive are more easy on repair though. You need to decide to make a proper decision

I have used Technics belt drive SLBD 20B turntable in the past but it was not like the SL26. The SLBD was the modern plastic variety. The build quality of the SL26 appears to be on the lines of the vintage Technics standards that we are used to. However my personal opinion tends to slant towards Technics Direct Drive turntables. They are basically machines of the highest quality and if not abused or badly maintained, these can give you a great musical and ownership experience. I have the SL3200 and despite having gone through some much better models of both Direct Drive and Idler Drive varieties, I have still maintained it and enjoy listening to it.

Thank you very much .. both are 100v turntable..so how much would value ?approx... without cartridge...

Without cartridge and headshell, both should be around 11k to 14k max provided they functionally working properly and cosmetically good. Dust cover should not be broken.

If scratches on the body and dust cover or it is cracked or missing dustcover then negotiate accordingly.

thank you very much to all ..got a lot of information to a sudden. i will definitely take these advises into action ...both these players are in almost nos condition, also the lids are not broken. but have to check whether they are 50hz or 60. i would like to conclude, if the direct drive (SL2000) is working perfectly , then i am going to negotiate on that.

thanks again ..

have to check again.. thanks

Japan uses both 50 hz and 60 hz frequency and so most of their TTs are wired for both frequency.

Check at the rear of the TT. It should say 110 volt 50/60 hz. If it is so then you are good to go.

SL 2000 uses an 630 ic for speed control. Make sure the TT is maintaining speed by testing on 33 and 45 rpm records. If there are instabilities then you would have to make sure that the IC is within specs. If the speed instability is due to dirty switches, it can be set right. If the ic has drifted then DO NOT buy as the ic is no longer available unless you get the psb of some other technics TT which uses the same ic and use it as a donor.

50 of 60Hz doesn't matter for a direct drive TT. You only need to use 100V step down converter. For belt drive you will need to use 50Hz pulley and step down converter if TT is 60Hz.

Regards
Sachin

Japan uses both 50 hz and 60 hz frequency and so most of their TTs are wired for both frequency.

Check at the rear of the TT. It should say 110 volt 50/60 hz. If it is so then you are good to go.

SL 2000 uses an 630 ic for speed control. Make sure the TT is maintaining speed by testing on 33 and 45 rpm records. If there are instabilities then you would have to make sure that the IC is within specs. If the speed instability is due to dirty switches, it can be set right. If the ic has drifted then DO NOT buy as the ic is no longer available unless you get the psb of some other technics TT which uses the same ic and use it as a donor.

thanks .. have to check all this ...i checked the rear of SL 2000..i have a snap of it ...It says 50 or 60 hz and 100v...attaching the snap..

thanks technics.jpg

If you have to make your choice and the price aspects are worked out, then DD is the way to go. They are almost completely hassle free and if handled carefully, they will give you great listening pleasure. I have listened to the SL2000 and even help install one, a while ago. They are honest turntables with great speed accuracy and a good tonearm. Speed variations in most Technics DD turntables which i have serviced are due to dusty speed selectors or dusty pitch pots. I have not come across the AN 630U IC drifting but I have come across a turntable with a blown IC. The AN 630U IC is not available off the shelf but if you keep watching online, they seem to come up all the time. There are private sellers who also have stock with them so your turntable won't become an expensive paperweight if its fails. However, its better to check before buying the TT. Having said this, the Technics DD TT models with controls that are not covered by the dust cover, like my SL3200 are more prone to dusty switches and pots, when compared to the SL2000 which has its controls under the dustcover. As Sachu rightly pointed out, the 50-60 Hz scenario does not really matter.

My present vintage TT has a small xformer to convert 110v to 220V and it hums.

So if you say it's a non issue that's not correct IMO

My present vintage TT has a small xformer to convert 110v to 220V and it hums.

So if you say it's a non issue that's not correct IMO
Hi Mahesh,
I have had 3 TTs, imported from US (110V), Mcro Seiki, Technics, Pioneer etc and and none had any issue with voltage converter. I also has a vintage Kenwood tuner imported from US. I am using cheap MX voltage converter without any issue. The hum could be from something else.
@shibuchristy 110V converter are readily available, but 100V are not common. you may need to get it done from transformer manufacturer.

Regards
Sachin

Hi Mahesh,
I have had 3 TTs, imported from US (110V), Mcro Seiki, Technics, Pioneer etc and and none had any issue with voltage converter. I also has a vintage Kenwood tuner imported from US. I am using cheap MX voltage converter without any issue. The hum could be from something else.
@shibuchristy 110V converter are readily available, but 100V are not common. you may need to get it done from transformer manufacturer.

Regards
Sachin
Yes.... couldn't find any online . So seems I have to find a transformer maker and make a Stepdown..

Thanks Sachin...

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back