Technics turntable

Bhaskar Jyoti Talapatra

Bought technics SL J2 yesterday from Kolkata.But I am sorry as the unit did not work. I had connected the phono preamp with the unit and then connected the amplifier boxes. But sound couldn't be heard.I have requested a mechanic to fix the problem and he has consented. Hope he will do.I am at my wit's end. Another thing I have noticed that the cart suddenly moves very fast. Feeling very sad.

Welcome Bhaskar to the world of vinyls and Technics. This is unfortunate though to hear the issue. You may want to connect to Mr. Ashok Mondal at Kasba Taalbagan area. Please message if you are interested.
Since the mechanic has consented , I have to wait for him . But I am happy as you come forward with a suggestion. Well I want to contact Mr. Ashok Mondal.

Dear Bhaskar,

Linear trackers are difficult to service and maintain due to their complex build. I would suggest that if possible, return the same and get a nice direct drive with the famous Technics S-arm. Nothing beats the charm of the beautiful S-arms.

Regards,
Saket.

Thanks saket for your suggestions. Now I am looking for a decent direct drive TT .In Kolkata I have found recently a Dual with ceramic cart , a Sonodyne direct drive with magnetic cart and a Technics with magnetic cart. Now I can't decide which one I should buy?

All are among the good ones. however the Technics with magnetic cart sounds good. It would have been better if you had mentioned the model name too. The Dual tt also is a good option but then the ceramic cart could be the deal breaker.

Hi sanjivnayak
You are right. But my records are old.I think those can not be played in new players. If you suggest in this regard I shall be grateful.
Regards
If they are that old please check if they are shellac records. You will need a turntable/record player that has that a 78 rpm speed option and a cartridge/stylus to play shellac. Audio Technica LP120 has the speed option but u will need to change the cartridge. The ATLP120 comes with a AT95 cartridge. You can replace the stylus with this https://www.amazon.com/PHONOGRAPH-NEEDLE-Technica-AT3400-Stylus/dp/B01JJ74DF2 to play 78 rpm records.

Last edited:
Hi sanjivnayak
You are right. But my records are old.I think those can not be played in new players. If you suggest in this regard I shall be grateful.
Regards
No, old records can be played in new players but you have to check the rpm of the records you are having. New players come in 2 speed only as 78 rpm are no more in the market. But you have to choose the right cartridge to play old ones.

Since Bhaskar has already gotten himself a linear tracker, I am assuming that he actually didn't mean shellac records when he used the word 'old'. I'm just guessing :)
Getting a used (but decent) Japanese TT in good condition should be a great way to enter the world of vinyls. They are built really well, offer much better bang for buck and are ultra reliable over the years. I would certainly foray into the world of Japanese direct drives, preferably from the 70s or early 80s. And wish that I could have warned you before to avoid linear trackers.

Could you also please share the prices for the TTs that you have come across by the seller?

Regards,
Saket.

Since Bhaskar has already gotten himself a linear tracker, I am assuming that he actually didn't mean shellac records when he used the word 'old'. I'm just guessing :)
Getting a used (but decent) Japanese TT in good condition should be a great way to enter the world of vinyls. They are built really well, offer much better bang for buck and are ultra reliable over the years. I would certainly foray into the world of Japanese direct drives, preferably from the 70s or early 80s. And wish that I could have warned you before to avoid linear trackers.

Could you also please share the prices for the TTs that you have come across by the seller?

Regards,
Saket.

Regards,
Saket.
Hi saket
The guy selling old and used tts demands high price .Now he demands 8k or 10k for those .I have been in the vinyl world from my childhood. My father had an HMV FIESTA .LATER I bought a Philips highq international. Recently I have become a member of the hi-fi vision and having gone through some threads regarding TT I have decided to upgrade myself. But alas! I am far from being satisfied. What I want is a rich and warm sound and the unit would be pocket friendly.
Cheers
Bhaskar

You have an integrated amp or a separate amp with a phono preamp? Didn't you check the turntable before buying?
I read your opening post again and I saw that you wrote that you connected the 'boxes to the preamp'. (?) Hope you have set your system correctly.

No, old records can be played in new players but you have to check the rpm of the records you are having. New players come in 2 speed only as 78 rpm are no more in the market. But you have to choose the right cartridge to play old ones.
Hi
Sanjivnayak would you please explain what do you mean by right cart? Again I am eager to have suggestions regarding a new TT .At present I have Philips tower speakers but I shall think about better set up later on.Now I want a decent TT.
Regards
Bhaskar

You have an integrated amp or a separate amp with a phono preamp? Didn't you check the turntable before buying?
I read your opening post again and I saw that you wrote that you connected the 'boxes to the preamp'. (?) Hope you have set your system correctly.
Hi saket
I did not check it before buying. the problem lies in its tonearm .the mechanic also failed to let it sing.
Regards
Bhaskar

I have forgotten to mention that I have a separate phono preamp.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back