Teesri Manzil - Sony DADC Vinyl Review

m_007

With a new batch of LP vinyl releases hitting the stores the vinyl resurgence is getting stronger day by day. Mostly audiophiles and music lovers are looking to enjoy the smooth rich sound of vinyl and enjoy the 12"x12" cover art that only an LP can offer. I was really excited at the prospect of the new Sony DADC releases and want to offer a few reviews of LPs I have purchased. First up is Teesri Manzil. RD Burman's groundbreaking score from 1966 and I also own this soundtrack on the Odeon Vinyl pressing (3AEX-5109) and the 2 in 1 RPG Teesri Manzil/Caravan CD (CDF 10017).

One of my favourite soundtracks from the 1960's. This review is not about the music, but more about the new Sony DADC LP release ... so here goes ...

Cover Art: The Sony DADC LP largely replicates the original LP cover art on a glossy sturdy sleeve. The cover art is very low-res when compared with the original LP. Most notable and distracting is a large white band across the picture of Asha Parekh on the front of the sleeve. The back of the sleeve features a slight re-arrangement of information and pictures when compared with the original. Again, any replicated photos are low-res and blurry. The cover features the track listing (which is the same order as on the original LP - more about this later), and the original write-up about RD Burman. I can see that there must have been some sort of printing problem as the lines about RD Burman are printed on a sticker which is attached to the cover next to a picture of RB Burman (albeit a smaller picture than featured on the original). Following that is A LOT of text featuring copyright statements and license information.

The record: The record is pressed on great quality vinyl. Very glossy and no warping issues. It is housed in a plain, poly-lined inner sleeve and was amazingly clean. The record was not warped at all and looks great! The label is bare bones and really only has the LP Title and an interesting statement "See Inlay Card for Details" which reminds me of the cassette days. No track listing is on the record label itself.

The LP Cover states 4 tracks on each side:

Side 1:

1) Title Music
2) Main Hoon Pyar Tera
3) Deewana Mujse Nahin
4) Main Inpe Marta Hoon

Side 2:

1) O Haseena
2) Tumne Mujhe Dekha
3) O Mera Sona
4) Music

The LP only has three tracks pressed on each side and is missing the "Title Music" from side 1 and "Music" from side 2. One reason for seeking out the LP is to get the complete soundtrack as was originally released. In this case this has not happened and the cover art does not indicate what is actually pressed on the LP. A major disappointment.

The sound: I played the LP on my Audio Technica LP-1240 paired with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge and stylus with about 60 hours of usage. I played each track and compared with the original LP and CD. I can (on request) try to provide a track by track breakdown between the CD and LP releases that I have - but for now I am posting a summary of the complete LP.

The Sony DADC LP seems to be using the same digital source as the CD. You can clearly hear a quick fade-in and fade-out at the beginning/end of each song the reveals an underlying hum throughout the soundtrack from the sound files that were used for the master of this LP. The LP itself displays a lot of over processed digital cleaning (metallic sounding) and sibilance throughout. The digital processing that has been done has interfered with the top end which has caused a marked increase in sibilance, and top end "squelching"/distortion. The bottom end is not rounded out well and sounds as if it is artificially boosted (which hasn't helped to warm up the sound, instead it is boomy at the bottom end and merges with the mids). The Odeon pressing sounds warmer in comparison. The drums at the beginning of O Haseena have a good deal of definition on the Odeon pressing, but the drums on the Sony DADC pressing descend in to a mess of sound and distortion. The violins are harsh and it makes for a fatiguing listening session.

While the Odeon isn't perfect it is still my go to version of this soundtrack (how I wish I could source the Angel pressing of this soundtrack). Listening to the Sony DADC release I was greatly missing the sound of my Odeon LP.

Thankfully I have a near mint copy that I have kept clean and like new.

While I really want to applaud the interest in releasing vintage soundtracks on vinyl, I hope that Sony DADC can do a much better job for their next batch of releases. If the sources are the same as the CDs that I have long rejected then owning another version of that source isn't what I am looking for.

I can't recommend this LP release unfortunately.

I would be much happier with a good quality duplicate made from an Angel pressing of this LP with minimal digital processing. Done properly, even if we can replicate 75% of the sound quality from the original pressings (I know getting the master tapes is impossible) then that is progress. The digital masters made when these soundtracks were released on CD are not good.

Many exhibit too much digital cleaning to the point that it impacts the sound quality. The sound needs to be balanced to keep the warmth and depth that vinyl lovers are looking for, that we sadly lost when we moved to CD.

In short - the vinyl used for these pressings is great. Many of the Saregama vinyl releases had warping issues and were scuffed due to poor handling in the pressing plant. So far I don't see these issues with Sony DADC and I must applaud Sony DADC for the excellent pressing and handling of these LPs.

The missing tracks from the soundtrack in unforgivable, especially when the outer sleeve promises the full soundtrack. Unfortunately this LP only offers what is available on the CD (or digital downloads). I would hope that as these endeavours move forward that some additional work is done on sourcing good quality analogue sources (perhaps gifting the source provider with a copy of the new LP and a credit on the cover of the record?) Many forum members have carefully preserved and cherished LPs that I am sure sound better than the digital masters that are being selected for pressing on to new LPs. These could be used to capture as much as can be captured, mastered digitally using lossless files and minimally processed.

Maybe an outreach could be done? Very sadly this release fails to deliver.

Will post additional reviews in the coming days (I have Kati Patang, Kashmir Ki Kali, Umrao Jaan & Awara from Sony DADC).

With a new batch of LP vinyl releases hitting the stores the vinyl resurgence is getting stronger day by day. Mostly audiophiles and music lovers are looking to enjoy the smooth rich sound of vinyl and enjoy the 12"x12" cover art that only an LP can offer. I was really excited at the prospect of the new Sony DADC releases and want to offer a few reviews of LPs I have purchased. First up is Teesri Manzil. RD Burman's groundbreaking score from 1966 and I also own this soundtrack on the Odeon Vinyl pressing (3AEX-5109) and the 2 in 1 RPG Teesri Manzil/Caravan CD (CDF 10017).

One of my favourite soundtracks from the 1960's. This review is not about the music, but more about the new Sony DADC LP release ... so here goes ...

Cover Art: The Sony DADC LP largely replicates the original LP cover art on a glossy sturdy sleeve. The cover art is very low-res when compared with the original LP. Most notable and distracting is a large white band across the picture of Asha Parekh on the front of the sleeve. The back of the sleeve features a slight re-arrangement of information and pictures when compared with the original. Again, any replicated photos are low-res and blurry. The cover features the track listing (which is the same order as on the original LP - more about this later), and the original write-up about RD Burman. I can see that there must have been some sort of printing problem as the lines about RD Burman are printed on a sticker which is attached to the cover next to a picture of RB Burman (albeit a smaller picture than featured on the original). Following that is A LOT of text featuring copyright statements and license information.

The record: The record is pressed on great quality vinyl. Very glossy and no warping issues. It is housed in a plain, poly-lined inner sleeve and was amazingly clean. The record was not warped at all and looks great! The label is bare bones and really only has the LP Title and an interesting statement "See Inlay Card for Details" which reminds me of the cassette days. No track listing is on the record label itself.

The LP Cover states 4 tracks on each side:

Side 1:

1) Title Music
2) Main Hoon Pyar Tera
3) Deewana Mujse Nahin
4) Main Inpe Marta Hoon

Side 2:

1) O Haseena
2) Tumne Mujhe Dekha
3) O Mera Sona
4) Music

The LP only has three tracks pressed on each side and is missing the "Title Music" from side 1 and "Music" from side 2. One reason for seeking out the LP is to get the complete soundtrack as was originally released. In this case this has not happened and the cover art does not indicate what is actually pressed on the LP. A major disappointment.

The sound: I played the LP on my Audio Technica LP-1240 paired with a Nagaoka MP-200 cartridge and stylus with about 60 hours of usage. I played each track and compared with the original LP and CD. I can (on request) try to provide a track by track breakdown between the CD and LP releases that I have - but for now I am posting a summary of the complete LP.

The Sony DADC LP seems to be using the same digital source as the CD. You can clearly hear a quick fade-in and fade-out at the beginning/end of each song the reveals an underlying hum throughout the soundtrack from the sound files that were used for the master of this LP. The LP itself displays a lot of over processed digital cleaning (metallic sounding) and sibilance throughout. The digital processing that has been done has interfered with the top end which has caused a marked increase in sibilance, and top end "squelching"/distortion. The bottom end is not rounded out well and sounds as if it is artificially boosted (which hasn't helped to warm up the sound, instead it is boomy at the bottom end and merges with the mids). The Odeon pressing sounds warmer in comparison. The drums at the beginning of O Haseena have a good deal of definition on the Odeon pressing, but the drums on the Sony DADC pressing descend in to a mess of sound and distortion. The violins are harsh and it makes for a fatiguing listening session.

While the Odeon isn't perfect it is still my go to version of this soundtrack (how I wish I could source the Angel pressing of this soundtrack). Listening to the Sony DADC release I was greatly missing the sound of my Odeon LP.

Thankfully I have a near mint copy that I have kept clean and like new.

While I really want to applaud the interest in releasing vintage soundtracks on vinyl, I hope that Sony DADC can do a much better job for their next batch of releases. If the sources are the same as the CDs that I have long rejected then owning another version of that source isn't what I am looking for.

I can't recommend this LP release unfortunately.

I would be much happier with a good quality duplicate made from an Angel pressing of this LP with minimal digital processing. Done properly, even if we can replicate 75% of the sound quality from the original pressings (I know getting the master tapes is impossible) then that is progress. The digital masters made when these soundtracks were released on CD are not good.

Many exhibit too much digital cleaning to the point that it impacts the sound quality. The sound needs to be balanced to keep the warmth and depth that vinyl lovers are looking for, that we sadly lost when we moved to CD.

In short - the vinyl used for these pressings is great. Many of the Saregama vinyl releases had warping issues and were scuffed due to poor handling in the pressing plant. So far I don't see these issues with Sony DADC and I must applaud Sony DADC for the excellent pressing and handling of these LPs.

The missing tracks from the soundtrack in unforgivable, especially when the outer sleeve promises the full soundtrack. Unfortunately this LP only offers what is available on the CD (or digital downloads). I would hope that as these endeavours move forward that some additional work is done on sourcing good quality analogue sources (perhaps gifting the source provider with a copy of the new LP and a credit on the cover of the record?) Many forum members have carefully preserved and cherished LPs that I am sure sound better than the digital masters that are being selected for pressing on to new LPs. These could be used to capture as much as can be captured, mastered digitally using lossless files and minimally processed.

Maybe an outreach could be done? Very sadly this release fails to deliver.

Will post additional reviews in the coming days (I have Kati Patang, Kashmir Ki Kali, Umrao Jaan & Awara from Sony DADC).
Fantastic review. My experience is also same with the newly released LPs. Just saw today that Sony had plans to release GHAR / IJAZAAT in a single LP which many of is will surely buy. But if the quality is similar then it will be a sheer loss of money. Let's hope that things will improve.

Sent from my LG-H860 using Tapatalk

All old Hindi films newly released by Saregama are sourced digitally.

It is exactly this that needs to change. There has to be a renewed effort to source the best possible analogue source otherwise what is the point of a vinyl release?

Problem is analogue masters are not available. They are either lost or damaged. Only digital mastering of old albums are available with Saregama.

Problem is analogue masters are not available. They are either lost or damaged. Only digital mastering of old albums are available with Saregama.

I guess my point is that the digital capture of older records when done properly means the end result can be more than acceptable.

The issue is that when those old digital masters were made they were not done well.

I can rip a LP as a wav file using my basic equipment at home and it sounds as good as the original LP.

Things have moved on exponentially. This is why I am saying - don't use those old digital masters. Find the best analogue source again (that could be a well preserved LP - it could be the film stems etc) recapture and remaster. That is what needs to be done. Until then what is the point of pressing these digital files to vinyl? What is this achieving?

The songs / music segments from
Original LPs that never made it to CD aren't even coming on these re-releases.

The whole opening dialogue from the original Odeon LP before the O Haseena song is missing from the re-release LP as well as two tracks of music.

But the biggest issue is the source. Get the best source possible not just the source that I could download from Saregama.com.

Agreed. But Saregama says this is all they have

Maybe they don't understand what buyers and vinyl enthusiasts are looking for. I just dropped $20 per LP ... I would gladly pay that all over again if there is some effort on the part of Sony or Saregama to go that extra mile to improve the quality of their masters. I know that they originally pulled most of these masters from LPs. So do it again. Time has moved on. Digital capture is much better now than it was before. Sound cleaning software is more powerful and the algorithms used for digital cleaning are better.

I am yet to play the other LPs. I have played Teesri Manzil many times to see if I can figure out what went wrong.

Thanks for sharing.

Cover Art : As a graphic designer vinyl album cover art and printing is important to me. Sad to see the new vinyl cover was not upto the mark. If they had scanned the original cover, there are some technics to remove the printed screen pattern with out loosing much of the sharpness of images. May be someone did a quick compromised work. This too can be somewhat forgiven but a white band across the face should not be pardonable. (That too on heroines face. 'Do Badan' vinyl record has nice graceful Asha Parekh picture. In the west they give award to best cover art). Sometimes I buy records just for good intact cover. I don't like stickers, ball pen marks, rubber stamps on my covers. Torn covers are definate no no.* But sometimes we don't have options. :sad: But I am talking about 30-50 year old stuff and Infact feel lucky that I have songs which I like in NM vinyls.

Recording : If I was head of some music company and only source is old vinyl record. I would use high quality turntable with air bearing arm good cartridge. and mastering technician who is experienced in Indian music. I presume vinyl cutting companies even give sample to listen to before making master. Not sure though.

Generally speaking, we Indians are not known to preserve heritage and do quality work. I also understand vinyl is loss making/small revenue business for music company. So what we are asking is somewhat difficut to achieve. May be in the future things will improve :)

*(if anyone has very good 'Anand Ashram' vinyl cover I can buy cover. willing to pay 100-300 rupees just for cover. )
Regards.

Just curious - what was the source for the digital master? were they made from, say 15ips master tapes, or from an archive copy disc?

Maybe they don't understand what buyers and vinyl enthusiasts are looking for. I just dropped $20 per LP ... I would gladly pay that all over again if there is some effort on the part of Sony or Saregama to go that extra mile to improve the quality of their masters. I know that they originally pulled most of these masters from LPs. So do it again. Time has moved on. Digital capture is much better now than it was before. Sound cleaning software is more powerful and the algorithms used for digital cleaning are better.

++100

Very valid point. If Sony is 'really' serious to push the vinyl numbers, am sure they would be able to devote some effort to 're-digitize' and press better quality vinyls. They would even be able to command a 'premium' price for such LPs too and we would gladly pay to buy a well mastered new one than spend $$$ for NM old ones.

Greenhorn, I think it was a UK made cd. They normally used the U.K. made CDs of late 80s and early 90s as masters for many of their releases. In some cases they may have used some other source too. The UK CDs are decent but the problem is I think they further no noised them and did some digital correction

Last edited:
If sony gives me an opportunity to work for them i would gladly do so free lancing to remaster the old releases so it sounded more analogue than digital. Reproduced from old recordings..............

Thanks for sharing.

Cover Art : As a graphic designer vinyl album cover art and printing is important to me. Sad to see the new vinyl cover was not upto the mark. If they had scanned the original cover, there are some technics to remove the printed screen pattern with out loosing much of the sharpness of images. May be someone did a quick compromised work. This too can be somewhat forgiven but a white band across the face should not be pardonable. (That too on heroines face. 'Do Badan' vinyl record has nice graceful Asha Parekh picture. In the west they give award to best cover art). Sometimes I buy records just for good intact cover. I don't like stickers, ball pen marks, rubber stamps on my covers. Torn covers are definate no no.* But sometimes we don't have options. :sad: But I am talking about 30-50 year old stuff and Infact feel lucky that I have songs which I like in NM vinyls.

Recording : If I was head of some music company and only source is old vinyl record. I would use high quality turntable with air bearing arm good cartridge. and mastering technician who is experienced in Indian music. I presume vinyl cutting companies even give sample to listen to before making master. Not sure though.

Generally speaking, we Indians are not known to preserve heritage and do quality work. I also understand vinyl is loss making/small revenue business for music company. So what we are asking is somewhat difficut to achieve. May be in the future things will improve :)

*(if anyone has very good 'Anand Ashram' vinyl cover I can buy cover. willing to pay 100-300 rupees just for cover. )
Regards.

I totally agree - cover art is very important to me which is why I featured it in my review. I have grown up with LPs and always missed great cover art when everything switched over to CD. With all the tools at our disposal nowadays creating newly designed LP covers shouldn't be laborious. Especially when selling a vintage soundtrack ... make it look pleasing - people will buy just for the cover!

Again - with the variety of tools at our disposal - making high quality replicas of vintage Indian records shouldn't be impossible or very costly. The biggest issue is finding a quality LP and pairing it with a cartridge that is forgiving or tuned in to Indian soundtrack LPs. Any "warm" cartridges are awesome when playing vintage Indian vinyl. I love Nagaoka but there are many others that handle Indian vinyl well.

Re-pressing vinyl from made in england cd will involve more equilasation steps. I wonder if from original vinyl music can be extracted as is and pressed again with out RIAA Eq.

Method 1 : Master Tape>EQ>CD>EQ>New Pressing.
Method 2 : Vinyl>ADC>New Pressing

Regards.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back