The Amazing Spider-Man Bluray Mastered in 4K

4K mastered Blurays are more or less like normal Bluray!!
The Truth is as follows.... (as per my knowledge gathered from various online sources)

- The maximum resolution for these 4K mastered Bluray is still 1080p despite being sourced from a 4K Digital Intermediate of the movie.
- The only difference could be that their bit-rate may be little better than earlier released versions, yet they have to be fit on a 50GB Dual layer Bluray out of which maximum 46GB can be utilized.
- This seems to be nothing but a marketing strategy to promote 4K by the studios like Sony who are working extensively on 4K TV development.
This promotion for 4K is quite similar like they used to do for DVDs before the HD evolution, there used to be DVD promotion like... DVDs mastered from High-Definition source!

As a customer, all I think is...it will feel bad if these Studios first release a Bluray with a lower bit-rate and later promote a higher bit-rate version saying 4K mastered and sell it at a higher price... Such morons these money hungry studios are...:mad:

I don't think its worth to spend money if you already have a normal BD.

Only if you are buying the title for the first time and price difference is minimal then should go for it.

I am yet to see difference between VCD and Super VCD ;)

Mastered in 4K line is also said to feature an expanded color gamut that is designed to improve color reproduction.

This initial wave of Mastered in 4K titles includes ten films: Spider-Man (HUGE improvement), Ghostbusters (HUGE improvement), Total Recall 2012 (also HUGE improvement), The Amazing Spiderman (huge improvement ONLY when viewed on a projection system), Battle: Los Angeles (quite honestly I keep falling asleep while watching this movie), Angels & Demons (another HUGE improvement especially in the dark areas and shadow details) and yet to be reviewed Glory, Karate Kid 2010, The Other Guys and Taxi Driver.

Source >Sony Pictures Mastered in 4K Blu-ray Series what are they? | david susilo UNCENSORED

I concur with above. This is a usual trick by studios to garner innocent movie collectors. Perhaps the 4k-remaster is an improvement slightly. They can't make the claim otherwise, lest someone sues them. But the gimmicks are often seen:

- special extended version (which many times contains a 2-5 minutes additional footage - remember Avatar?)
- unrated version (more or less like above but containing a censored scene)

There are some movies that maybe (?) sometimes really worth. Ghostbusters I & II are really old movies of the mid-80's. In this case, 4K digital remastering may improve the quality. Ditto for older movies. But I seriously doubt how much improvement can be brought about in a new movie such as The Amazing Spiderman unless the bit-rate is much more and a single BD movie is now split into 2 BDs, etc.

Most movies are scanned in 4k or even 8K resoution but those versions are for digital cinema hall projection ......blu ray are for homes and the standards are all set to 1080p for film and 1080i for video material........most studios use 4k or 8K scanned files which are downsampled to 1080 to make blu rays.......

Big question is do we really need 4K or 8K for homes ??

Mastered in 4K line is also said to feature an expanded color gamut that is designed to improve color reproduction.

Feels good on papers.
Question: Is your display capable of showing that "extra" gamut?
Answer: Most chances are that your latest state of the art LED/ plasma will have only 8 or 10bit colour panel. Even you put 48bit of source, it will be limited when it comes out of display.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back