The Best VPN for viewing geo restricted content on netflix etc

With a smart tv, ie sony bravia Android, is there a way to change the dns for specific apps, like split tunneling with my vpn, so, no need route the local apps through the smart dns, needlessly.
mine is a linux based sony purchased some 7 yrs ago.Using firestick for content.

Hi,

So i have been using VPN since around 2014.I have mainy used

1.Private Internet Access(mostly)
2.Express VPN(rarely)
3.Mullvad(for past 6 months)

PIA i know doesnt always successfuly unblock netflix for US location.And the US server speeds are really not that great.Mullvad its despicable relating to unblocking these.
Express VPN though it claims unblocking but many servers dont.

With new intermediary and OTT guidelines kicking in i guess in an year or so our govt would try its best to make OTT and Ekta kapoor type stuff indistinguishable.
Does anybody have an idea/exp about VPN that has a good unblocking for geo restricted content?

Surf Shark. Sabse Sasta aur Tikao.

Haven't ever faced any issues with accessing Netflix no matter which country, its the simplest most idiot free VPN to use and I daresay, one of the cheapest around?

With a smart tv, ie sony bravia Android, is there a way to change the dns for specific apps, like split tunneling with my vpn, so, no need route the local apps through the smart dns, needlessly.
No, it can't be done only for specific apps. When you configure this at device level, all the traffic goes through the DNS.

I use expressVPN premium version unlocks Netflix US and UK contents.
A very basic question:
VPN is downloaded on phone or laptop and that will allow you to access restricted content . But if I need to watch restricted Netflix or another any other content on my TV which connected through my AVR, how do I do it ? Is it possible to download it on the router , so that any device which is connected to the router will have access to the restricted content .
Thanks.

A very basic question:
VPN is downloaded on phone or laptop and that will allow you to access restricted content . But if I need to watch restricted Netflix or another any other content on my TV which connected through my AVR, how do I do it ? Is it possible to download it on the router , so that any device which is connected to the router will have access to the restricted content .
Thanks.
There is possibility in some routers, iam yet to try..also can you pls chk in TV apps whether vpn is available. Since i use shield as a source, i have installed express vpn in shield

There is possibility in some routers, iam yet to try..also can you pls chk in TV apps whether vpn is available. Since i use shield as a source, i have installed express vpn in shield
Thanks . Will check.
I have Jio Fibre connection.
Is it possible to install VPN on this router and what is the impact on the speed ?

No idea mate i have to explore :) btw what is your router model
Router is the one provided by Jio.

ExpressVPN is available of Fire TV it seems.

I have this Hola VPN downloaded from playstore to my Nvidia Shield. I have not yet got the paid version. With free version you can watch only couple of hours. Netflix works well with this VPN.

I probably have the cheapest of them all. Hola premium. Unblocks Netflix in all countries. Plays all movies.
how cheap? Can't allow you to stake your claim to the crown while the king of cheap is still alive!

Last edited:
3 year subscription, 407.88 per year. Crown retained. :)
How good is the paid version? Though I have a 300mbps connection sometimes the VPN stutters in the free version especially in Netflix. Is there any exclusivity when using the paid version?

How Hola works!! Hola started with sharing internet. If a user using hola in US, Indian user is routed through his connection in US. This is how it worked. It’s scary right, some one from the other part of the world would be using your connection. But this is changed recently with the paid service. They moved to dedicated servers due to these security loop holes. All VPNs are not what they say. They are obligated to give access data when asked and bound by law of land. Else the local laws can pull out their plugs. I have a idea, I know it crazy but what if we as a community start our own VPN service ?? We have so many people with lot of knowledge. We don’t need to pay for ads and marketing. We only pay for data and manage our own servers. It works out very cheap. We don’t need presence across the world. In this cloud world this is easy.

How Hola works!! Hola started with sharing internet. If a user using hola in US, Indian user is routed through his connection in US. This is how it worked. It’s scary right, some one from the other part of the world would be using your connection. But this is changed recently with the paid service. They moved to dedicated servers due to these security loop holes. All VPNs are not what they say. They are obligated to give access data when asked and bound by law of land. Else the local laws can pull out their plugs. I have a idea, I know it crazy but what if we as a community start our own VPN service ?? We have so many people with lot of knowledge. We don’t need to pay for ads and marketing. We only pay for data and manage our own servers. It works out very cheap. We don’t need presence across the world. In this cloud world this is easy.
Don't want to step on your toes but subscribing to a vpn service from a reputed provider for streaming will cost you way less than setting up one, on your own on AWS/Azure in a different country with 24x7 availability.

Last edited:
Don't want to step on your toes but subscribing to a vpn service from a reputed provider for streaming will cost you way less than setting up one on your own in a different country in AWS/Azure with 24x7 availability.
Just a thought bro.. i am more worried on the bandwidth price than the compute and others.. I don’t have that much knowledge. don’t want to hijack this thread. May be we can break out to a different post. I see many people using such service. And asking what they should use.

Just a thought bro.. i am more worried on the bandwidth price than the compute and others.. I don’t have that much knowledge. don’t want to hijack this thread. May be we can break out to a different post. I see many people using such service. And asking what they should use.
No worries, man. Since VPN providers share their servers across hundreds of users, the price comes down. If one is particularly looking for streaming, pick a provider that offers a stable bandwidth, larger pool of IP and the flexibility of use their service on various platforms like Smart TV/Phone, computers.

How good is the paid version? Though I have a 300mbps connection sometimes the VPN stutters in the free version especially in Netflix. Is there any exclusivity when using the paid version?
To be honest, I don't use the VPN much. I am on a 200 Mbps Fibre connection. Tested out Netflix US just now. Plays without any issues.
Please let me know which one is this... I'm interested.
https://hola.org/

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back