The Customs Duty thread

Decadent_Spectre

Hi all, thought it would be a good idea to make a customs duty thread where people can post what they imported and the total duty paid. Please do participate, you do not need to name the product or price if you don't wish to, instead you could simply list type of product and the duty paid in % on the CIF value. It doesn't have to be a recent import but please do post when you imported it or at least a rough idea of the timeline, recent or if not then an approximate year would be great. I'll start -

Recently imported some speaker cables, total duty paid - 30% approx, CIF value.

Not restricted to A/V products, feel free to post the duty paid of any item. That's why I have posted this in the general lounge. I hope we can all learn from this.

I have placed an order for a Croft Line integrated (from Croft UK) and am anxiously waiting to learn how much customs duty I will have to pay. Does anyone with recent import experience of audio equipment know?
Any suggestions for a uncomplicated process through the customs also welcome.

This thread might be helpful.

I have placed an order for a Croft Line integrated (from Croft UK) and am anxiously waiting to learn how much customs duty I will have to pay. Does anyone with recent import experience of audio equipment know?

For a preamp i bought ,I paid around 40% for Price+Shipping..although there have been stories of 70% as well .

For a preamp i bought ,I paid around 40% for Price+Shipping..although there have been stories of 70% as well .
Thanks Arj. It seems it’s somewhat notional, depending on how the particular official feels on a given day…

44% minimum to Max 77% if you are bringing on your name without IEC code

Thanks Arj. It seems it’s somewhat notional, depending on how the particular official feels on a given day…
i think it also depends on what it is shown as in the invoice and what HS code they match it to. Most of audio will come under HS 8518XXXX.,

eg DVD player is around 30 bust most amplification is 40

Last edited:
44% minimum to Max 77% if you are bringing on your name without IEC code
Thanks for this @srinisundar; I don’t have a Import Export code number. So am sadly getting resigned to paying 77% of the cost as tax.

i think it also depends on what it is shown as in the invoice and what HS code they match it to. Most of audio will come under HS 8518XXXX.,

eg DVD player is around 30 bust most amplification is 40
The Invoice shows £865 (actual cost)

You can apply online and get one for yourself as an individual. I did.

any directions on how to do that ?
Thank you. I am wondering if it would be too late to apply now as the amp is already on its way?
If it is so easy then yes..you can give that to the shipping agent ( Fedex etc) and they will file for it accordingly.

Thank you. I am wondering if it would be too late to apply now as the amp is already on its way?

Not at all. As long as you have an IEC before a Bill of Entry is filed, you should be good.

Application online should take 30 minutes or less. Your IEC as an individual will most likely be your PAN number. Do it now. Good luck!

any directions on how to do that ?

Just follow the instructions after clicking on "Apply for IEC" from the linked page.

what do you do for questions like
Please Specify (Nature Of Concern) : *
Please Specify (Category of Exporters) *

It’s been a while, but I think my response might have been “Individual” to the first and “None” or “Not Applicable” to the second. Sorry my memory isn’t better.

I registered and tried to apply for IEC. There seems to be no provision for individuals
This is what it shows

Pre-Requisites for Applying for IEC

IEC may be applied on behalf of a firm which may be a Proprietorship, Partnership, LLP, Limited Company, Trust, HUF, Society. Firm must have a PAN, bank account in the name of the firm and a valid address before applying. Address may be physically verified by the DGFT on issuance of the IEC. Please keep your PAN, bank details and firm details ready before applying.”

It’s been a while, but I think my response might have been “Individual” to the first and “None” or “Not Applicable” to the second. Sorry my memory isn’t better.
Individuals cannot take IEC code i think..... However any rule changed ?

I registered and tried to apply for IEC. There seems to be no provision for individuals
This is what it shows

Pre-Requisites for Applying for IEC

IEC may be applied on behalf of a firm which may be a Proprietorship, Partnership, LLP, Limited Company, Trust, HUF, Society. Firm must have a PAN, bank account in the name of the firm and a valid address before applying. Address may be physically verified by the DGFT on issuance of the IEC. Please keep your PAN, bank details and firm details ready before applying.”
No Use of taking IEC now.. Since the invoice should match the IEC certificate name of importer plus your bank details transfered from the IEC certificate mentioned company or individual name.

No Use of taking IEC now..

Not true, at least in my case. My final payment was in May 2020 and I applied for the IEC in June. Product went for customs clearance in December.

Since the invoice should match the IEC certificate name of importer plus your bank details transfered from the IEC certificate mentioned company or individual name.

Again, no. They do verify that the amount on the invoice and your payments match, though.

Not true, at least in my case. My final payment was in May 2020 and I applied for the IEC in June. Product went for customs clearance in December.

Again, no. They do verify that the amount on the invoice and your payments match, though.
I recently imported some items thru my friend company thru UPS and they asked for IEC code and submitted his company number which matches the records of receiver, unfortunately i have made payment thru paypal from my account which customs dept not accepted it and UPS informed the payment should be transfered from the company which the items ordered and hence nominal duty as per standard rejected and they have charged 77%

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back