The Future of Sound?

this seems to be the same as Binaural sound right ?
Check this out.. so many more on You tube !
Damn this one's really freaky. I sat in the middle of my speakers, and it's eerie how Freddy keeps popping in and out. Also right above my head....wooaah!!

When it comes to Music Its Stereo\Mono, Anything beyond fits well for AV.But still love to listen some Quadraphonic Albums in Quadraphonic Receiver .Never heard One hence like to experience it.

Nope, the Billie Ellish track is very different as the entire sound emanates from outside your head. However, you have to listen via headphones only.

I’m sure many would have received this on WhatsApp, but for those who haven’t, check out the below link. And, before you hit play, plug your headphones in.

Ha, felt like I was Dev Anand, sitting at a table in the dance bar And Geeta Bali circling all around me, crooning... but along with that kabab me haddi instrumentalist who knew only one beat. She even climbed the stairs and sang from the upper floor for me. He he.

Frankly, it’s creepy at first, amusing in the middle and irritating by the end. Doubt I’d like to hear any more songs like this, But guess it’s has a future in AV. Why waste on 8 speakers when 2 can do this for you?

Here Freddie felt like one of those house ghosts (Nearly Headless Nick?) shooting from one end of the Gryffindor hall to another. Frankly, after some time I just started seeing disembodied heads floating about.

Give me my two channel music any day! I’d leave the fantasies for the movies. But it still is useful to know the new technology trends. Thanks @coaltrain and @arj.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is just my opinion, technically, this is nauseous music. I may be mentally weak but if I continue listening to this, will start vomiting. I am not kidding, just telling how I felt.

Trust me, this is not future, just processed music.

If you analyze closely, it is equivalent of recording a music placing a mic far away from stage whereas real music is recorded close-mic'ed where mic is placed/clipped on every instrument or are placed very close.

This is just my opinion, technically, this is nauseous music. I may be mentally weak but if I continue listening to this, will start vomiting. I am not kidding, just telling how I felt.

Trust me, this is not future, just processed music.

If you analyze closely, it is equivalent of recording a music placing a mic far away from stage whereas real music is recorded close-mic'ed where mic is placed/clipped on every instrument or are placed very close.

Metoo! got an instantaneous headache 1min into the pentagramatonix insanity. Maybe I'm old school.

I’m sure many would have received this on WhatsApp, but for those who haven’t, check out the below link. And, before you hit play, plug your headphones in.

This sounds good at first with excellent sound engineering & mixing but more meant for HT rather than music listening. Your mind tends to anticipate from which side the next music note or sound comes from rather than listening to the track itself. Maybe even I am old school but for music stereo is the best.

For music stereo will be best till the time in real life musicians continue to play in front of you on the stage. The day they start playing all around you (if that ever happens), this technology will hold promise for music reproduction. Till then it would remain a gimmick. But imagine this tech being used in Virtual reality games even today! For example in martial combat games where your 360 degree awareness and response is being tested, sounds of approaching opponents from behind you can be produced with remarkable authenticity with this technology uisng just standard headphones going by what we hear in the Pentatonix clip. So, this technology holds good promise in the games and simulators world though not much for music reproduction.

For music stereo will be best till the time in real life musicians continue to play in front of you on the stage. The day they start playing all around you (if that ever happens), this technology will hold promise for music reproduction. <<snip>>
5.1 Music with DVDA and SACDs, was made just for that ie to be surrounded by the musicians, but they failed since the majority never bought it into it !. This tech does not need 5 speakers..it is done with just 2 drivers but using DSP ( :eek: to create Acoustic interference ( I presume) and hence a virtual 3D soundstage.

I personally prefer a soundstage in front of me and far away hence could never buy in to Headphones as a serious option, but then there are people who do like it.

I personally prefer a soundstage in front of me and far away hence could never buy in to Headphones as a serious option, but then there are people who do like it.

Headphone sound has its own charm. I’ve seen poor/cheaper headphones produce sound that is more at the top of your head (avoidable) while better ones succeed in producing sound reasonably in front of you (preferable). Once you close your eyes, you get immersed and transcend the spatial limitations. The soundstage and detail that good enough headphones can produce one doubts if speakers many times costlier can. Headphones can give deep insight into the music and fidelity of their sound does not get impacted by a number of variables the speaker sound’s does.

Speakers on the other hand give a physical full body experience. Headphones can never get visceral impact that speaker sound can. I believe this physicality can have its own health benefits beyond the enjoyment factor. Also, speaker sound pervades the space and creates an atmosphere in the house that is up-lifting.

I can enjoy both headphones and speakers. My expectations from the sound shift automatically when I shift from one to another.

5.1 Music with DVDA and SACDs, was made just for that ie to be surrounded by the musicians, but they failed since the majority never bought it into it !. This tech does not need 5 speakers..it is done with just 2 drivers but using DSP ( :eek: to create Acoustic interference ( I presume) and hence a virtual 3D soundstage.

I have the DTS video demo collection set. When i had a 5.1 channel setup, i was mighty impressed by the experience, with Magnepan MC1 as L/R channel and tiny polk as surrounds, Phantom center.
I think people with stereo setups never bothered to get an AVR, and experience it. Too many old school mindsets in this hobby perhaps.
The same videos sound great in a stereo only setup now, except the enveloping experience. It's just another way to experience the same content.

Ha, felt like I was Dev Anand, sitting at a table in the dance bar And Geeta Bali circling all around me, crooning... but along with that kabab me haddi instrumentalist who knew only one beat. She even climbed the stairs and sang from the upper floor for me. He he.

ROFL!
That’s the funniest (and best!) description I’ve heard so far! :)
While the whole thing sounds totally unnatural from a musical standpoint, the science of it intrigues me. The fact that some people are actually experiencing nausea implies that there‘s a certain degree of manipulation to our central nervous system. Will need to read up on this a bit more.

Headphone sound has its own charm. I’ve seen poor/cheaper headphones produce sound that is more at the top of your head (avoidable) while better ones succeed in producing sound reasonably in front of you (preferable). Once you close your eyes, you get immersed and transcend the spatial limitations. The soundstage and detail that good enough headphones can produce one doubts if speakers many times costlier can. Headphones can give deep insight into the music and fidelity of their sound does not get impacted by a number of variables the speaker sound’s does.
I actually had a decent Midfi with a HD6XX phone and the Leben integerated as the headphone amp. The details are no doubt fantastic but the feel of moving air is seriously lacking which I personally miss.

Actually, in this clip they have demonstrated what can be done with this kind of tech. But it need not always be overblown like this. Imagine a recording where you are wearing headphones and yet you hear the singer 5 feet in front of you and the instruments are creating a wonderful front sound stage that most audiophiles struggle to achieve at a very high cost. And yes, room is no longer a factor.

Back