The Hindi film music Desert Island

issigonis

>>>

Hindi film music aficionados,

I have compiled my own desert island - wherein you select your twenty favourite tracks/numbers/books and so on if you happen to be marooned on a desert island, obviously all alone.

While being marooned on a desert island is a remote possibility for most of us, it would be interesting to find out what would be the desert island list for hindi film music fans.

I have gone ahead and made my desert island and I have listed it by mentioning the track, the name of the film, the composer, the singer(s) and the lyricists. Most of these tracks have that magical quality emanating from a blend of the singer's voice, sublime music and remarkable lyrics. Sometimes it becomes difficult to say which of the elements tugs at your heart the most.

I have gone beyond the standard desert island list of twenty and made it thirty simply because I could not shortlist my favourite songs to just twenty; in fact it was difficult to limit it to thirty.

So in typical Indian/desi fashion where we tend to view things in an epic way, witness the Indian three hour film (alright alright now we have the shorter film), with four, five songs, distinct shades of black and white ( this too is changing), I have made it a thirty track desert list. And I have put the tracks randomly, not in any order of preference. It is virtually impossible to choose one song from the other in my thirty. Of course this is a purely personal, subjective list.

On closer inspection, you will discern some patterns. Let me see how soon you can detect them.

Please revert with your own.

One request, please use the same format ( track, film, composer, singer(s) and lyricist to maintain consistency.

Thank you and happy listening

View attachment issigonis's Desert Island.xls

some great numbers there...

haah....

this has gotten me into a "toodh-phoodh" RESEARCH mood like never before..... even deeper than when i was working towards my masters thesis during my days in the US, looking for weird solutions to some un-natural problems like EFFECTS OF CALCIUM CARBONATE FILLER PARTICLE SIZE ON POLYMER CHEMISTRY OF COMPOSITE MATERIALS IN THE PULTRUSION PROCESS.....

That was much easier than the problem u have posed... Am taking-up the challenge though....

my impulsive list: will add more later
1 main nigahen tere chehre se hataun kaise
radhike tune bansiri churayi
mai piya teri tu mane ya na mane
aaj ki raat badi shokh badi natkhat hai(from movie nai umar ki nai fasal)
ye ishq ishq hai ishq ishq
yun na rah rah kar hame tadpaiye (master madan)
haale dil unko sunana tha- sunaya na gaya
saqiya aaj mujhe neend nahi aayegi suna hai teri mehfil me ratjaga hai
ni mai kamali aan(an amir khusrau folk sung by narendra chanchal. u wont find it on net. so far i couldn t)
mi dolkara, dariya cha raja
jaane bahar husn tera bemisal hai, wallah kamaal hai arey wallah kamaal hai
chand aahen bharega phool dil thaam lenge, husn ki baat chali to sab tera naam lenge.
mera dil ye pukare aaja(nagin)
ek radha ek meera (a highly underrated song from ram teri ganga maili.)
aa jane jaan (the opening of latajis vocals in this are a comparo material for vinyl vs cd/etc system comparos)
shaam teri bansi pukare radha naam, log karen meera ko yun hi badnaam(a nadiya ke paar number)
:edit1:
chupke chupke chal ri purvaiyaa....
jo tum todo piya (the gulzars meera version as well as the older meera one. not the abhimaan one)
aaye tum yaad mujhe- from mili
rang de chunariya(anoop jalota at his zenith)
radio edit
following are good numbers i would have taken to my island, but i had an overdose of them in this fm radio era.
chameli- man saat samandar dol gaya
tera zikr- guzaarish
chaand chhupa baadal me.
chhalka chhyalka re kalse ka paani- sathiya

Last edited:
>>>

Come on.
Please write in your excels and attach. Easier that way to see and check:).
Do you discern any pattern in my desert island?

Regards

THUMBS-UP TO,

1. main nigahen - Madan Mohan aur RAFI SAHAB ( KHUDAA KI AAWAZ HAI BHAI) .
2. Main piya teri - DIDI's magic
3. Ek Radha Ek Meera - RAVINDRA JAIN, COMPOSITION AND LYRICS (totally agree - UNDERRATED SONG)....

as far as "ME DOLKAAR, DARYA CHA RAAJA", self and DOC would be the only 2 people on the forum who would have heard the song (correct me if wrong).... please listen to the ANTARAA of that song DOC..... HEMANTDAA has created MAGICCCCCCCCCCCCCC........

My list in its first draft.........

ANY PATTERN ????

one pattern not very surprising to me is, OMMITION OF NAUSHAD......

very logical.....

("MADHUBAN MEIN RADHIKA NAACHE RE" might just be an ABBERATION..... OR someone else's composition..... OR based directly on RAAG - HAMEER")...

PROBABLY ALL THREE OF THEM

THUMBS-UP TO,

as far as "ME DOLKAAR, DARYA CHA RAAJA", self and DOC would be the only 2 people on the forum who would have heard the song (correct me if wrong).... please listen to the ANTARAA of that song DOC..... HEMANTDAA has created MAGICCCCCCCCCCCCCC........

My list in its first draft.........

Don't bet on that. That song is a SUPER DUPER HIT number and a lot of people have grown with it, esp in Maharashtra, where I am told by friends it was a staple at school functions of yore :)

I heard this song very late in life. But when I did, was instantly hooked on it. And so hooked that I must have played it in repeat loop for days on ends. And that too, when I don't really understand the language.

In fact, the song led me to many other Hridayanath Mangeshkar gems of yesteryears - esp MENDICHA PANAWAR, which was the other song that I can listen anytime.

I am not a hindi film aficionado,but if I could take only 20 film songs to a desert island then the list would be something like this:

1.Badlon Se Kat Kat Ke/Satya

2.Dil To Bachha Hai Ji/Ishqiya

3.Tujhse Naraz Nahin Zindagi/Masoom

4.Yeh Mahlon Yeh Takhton Yeh Tajon Ki Duniya/Pyasa

5.Seene Mein Jalan,Aankhon Mein Toofan/Gaman

6.Chingari Koi Bhadke/Amar Prem

7.Zindagi Ka Safar/Safar

8.Tum Aa Gaye Ho/Aandhi

9.Yeh Shamein Sab Ki Sab Shamein/Sooraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

10.Woh Sham Kuch Ajeeb Thi/Khamoshi

11.Dikhayee Diye Yun/Bazar

12.Kis Mod Se Jaate Hain/Aandhi

13.Karoge Yaad To/Bazaar

14.Do Naina Ek Kahani/Masoom

15.Ru Ba Ru/Maqbool

16.Chori Chori Jab Nazrein Mili/Kareeb

17.Chai Chap Chai/Hu Tu Tu

18.Chal Akela/Sambandh

19.O Hansni/Zehreela Insaan

20.Rimjhim Gire Sawan/Manzil

The magic of Vishal Bhardwaj
YouTube - Satya - Badalon Se
YouTube - Ishqiya - Dil To Bachcha Hai
YouTube - Ru-Ba-Ru - Maqbool

I am not a hindi film aficionado,but if I could take only 20 film songs to a desert island then the list would be something like this:

1.Badlon Se Kat Kat Ke/Satya

2.Dil To Bachha Hai Ji/Ishqiya

3.Tujhse Naraz Nahin Zindagi/Masoom

4.Yeh Mahlon Yeh Takhton Yeh Tajon Ki Duniya/Pyasa

5.Seene Mein Jalan,Aankhon Mein Toofan/Gaman

6.Chingari Koi Bhadke/Amar Prem

7.Zindagi Ka Safar/Safar

8.Tum Aa Gaye Ho/Aandhi

9.Yeh Shamein Sab Ki Sab Shamein/Sooraj Ka Satvan Ghoda

10.Woh Sham Kuch Ajeeb Thi/Khamoshi

11.Dikhayee Diye Yun/Bazar

12.Kis Mod Se Jaate Hain/Aandhi

13.Karoge Yaad To/Bazaar

14.Do Naina Ek Kahani/Masoom

15.Ru Ba Ru/Maqbool

16.Chori Chori Jab Nazrein Mili/Kareeb

17.Chai Chap Chai/Hu Tu Tu

18.Chal Akela/Sambandh

19.O Hansni/Zehreela Insaan

20.Rimjhim Gire Sawan/Manzil

>>>
ajay124,

Your choice of songs #3-8 and then again #10-14 proves that you are an aficionado, and a sensitive one:). Excellent choices. In fact almost all those songs could easily have made into my desert island too, given the gems that we have from our hindi film music. In fact #19 -20 are two songs which I listen pretty often too. Good to see the low profile Yogesh included with his #20. In fact I had a difficult time leaving out the 'philosophical' Kai baar yuhin dekha hai from Rajnigandha ( Mukesh rendering a woman's thoughts so evocatively) and Zindagi kaisi hai paheli from Anand, both by Yogesh and Salil Chaudhury!

Regards

ANY PATTERN ????

one pattern not very surprising to me is, OMMITION OF NAUSHAD......

very logical.....

("MADHUBAN MEIN RADHIKA NAACHE RE" might just be an ABBERATION..... OR someone else's composition..... OR based directly on RAAG - HAMEER")...

PROBABLY ALL THREE OF THEM

>>>

sumeetbagade,

Why do you find the omission ( I have one composition, rightly pointed out by you - Madhuban mein Radhika...arguably Rafi at his best) of Naushad obvious and logical?
I would have loved to have included the Shakeel Badayuni bhajan Man tarpat hari darshan ko aaj by Rafi and Aaj gaawat man mero by DV Paluskar and Amir Khan, both from Baiju Bawra, and a few others too.

One immediately visible pattern is that you are a huge fan of Burmans, esp the senior one :) And of romantic to romantically philosophical songs.

Perhaps, if I made such a list, I'd keep it spiced up with some 'item' numbers too;)

>>>
deepakjeswal,

You're spot on - I love the orchestration of SD, coupled with the lyrics of Majrooh, and their remarkable range across genres. You have Aise to na dekho ( possibly my favourite ghazal) as also Jogi jab se tu ( which is almost a bhajan). Yes, romantic and philosophical songs, classical based too.

Other favourites include Madan Mohan, OP Nayyar and Jaidev, although you will find not too many of their compositions here. Difficult to pack all of them in!

I could not accommodate some gems, as follows:

Allah tero naam ( Jaidev, Sahir)
Ketaki ghulab juhi ( Shankar Jaikishen, Shailendra)
Yeh takhton yeh taajon yeh mahlon (SD, Sahir)
Aap ki nazron ( Madan Mohan, Raja Mehdi Ali Khan)
O ghata sanwari ( Laxmikant Pyarelal, Anand Bakshi)
Jhanak jhanak payal (vasant Desai, Hasrat Jaipuri)
Meri awaz suno ( Madan Mohan, Kaifi)
Zindagi kaisi hai ( Salil C, Yogesh)
Chino Arab hamara ( Khayyam, Sahir)
Kya se kya ho gaya ( SD, Shailendra)

Also, I could not accommodate breezy/romantic numbers (item numbers:D)such as :

Baithe hain kya kisi ( SD, Majrooh, Jewel Thief) - very jazz like
Jaan pehchan ho ( Shankar Jaikishen, Hasrat, Gumnaam) - "Indo-Jazz"
Raat akeli hai ( SD, Majrooh, Jewel Thief)
Mere sapnon ki rani ( SD, Anand Bakshi,Aradhana)
Simti si sharmayi si ( Madan Mohan, Kaifi, Parwana)
O haseena zulfon (RD, Majrooh, Tessri Manzil)
Bheegi bheegi raaton ( RD, Anand Bakshi, Ajnabee)
Hum dono do premi ( RD,Anand Bakshi, Ajnabee)

as also some outstanding compositions such as :

Hey maine kasam li ( SD, Neeraj, Tere Mere Sapne)
Tumne mujhe dekha ( RD, Majrooh, Teesri Manzil)
Tumhe ho na ho ( Jaidev, Gulzar, Gharaonda)
Dil jo na keh saka ( Roshan, Majrooh, Bheegi Raat)
Deewana mastana (SD, Majrooh, Bombai Ka Babu)
Thodi si zameen ( RD, Gulzar, Sitara)

Phew. I think I have to make sequels- desert island 2, 3..

If I have to shortlist films for their music, I will unhesitatingly choose Anubhav (surreal Kanu Roy), Guide, Pyaasa, Teen Devian, Teesri Manzil, Aradhana, Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje and Jewel Thief.

Regards, enjoy

Last edited:
@ above-
blasphemy blasphemy.... u mention jewel thief for something other than rula ke gaya sapna mera.
edit
sir alec i request you to ask mods to move this thread to source material>music section as this topic is not just vinyls specific(is it??)
so far only vinylphiles have posted here.

Last edited:
As narrated by Pt Hridaynath Mangeshkar himself, the mukhadaa of this composition was inspired by,
RESHMA's - HAIIYO RABBA, NAYYO LAGDAA DIL MERAA, based of RAAG - PARAMESHWARI.
i feel the ANTARAA of the song is more magical...

In one of his live concerts, he infact started by singing HAIYYO RABBA, and later moved on to sing ME DOLKAR.......
He also had to fight with the recording company to convince them in casting HEMANTDAA.....

Shantabai Shelke, has incorporated local koli lingo in her words which create a mental picture of the sea-shore, fisherman and their boats...

Do not miss the music playing in the background..... notice the use of very unconventional instruments like HARP, CLARINET, CONGO and SUR-SHEHNAI and the effect of WAVES it creates.....

Posting its original lyrics....

?????? :????? ?????
???? :??? - ????? ?????
???????? :??. ??????? ???????

?? ?????, ?????, ????? ??????? ????
?? ?????????, ??????? ???? ?? ??

???????? ?????? ??? ?? ????
???? ????? ??, ????? ?????? ????
?????? ????? ?? ?????? ?????? ????
??? ??????? ????*??? ???? ????
?? ????? ?????????
??? ???? ???????? ???
????????*???? ?? ?? ????
??? ???????, ????? ???? ????

?? ??, ??????? ????? ????
??? ????????? ????? ????? ????
??? ???????? ?????? ???? ????
??? ?????????? ????? ?????? ????
??? ???? ????? ?????
??? ??????? ???? ????
???? ??????? ????? ?????
???? ?????? ???? ????? ????

????? ?????? ???? ?????? ?? ????
???? ??????? ??????? ???? ????
??? ?????????? ???? ????? ????
?? ??????? ????? ????? ????
??? ??????? ????? ??????
??? ??????? ?????? ????
?????? ??????? ???? ???
???? ?????? ???? ??????? ????

MY TOP 20 HINDI FILM SONGS.....

my favorites according to the list,

Music Director - S.D.Burman (3 songs).
Singers - Lata / Rafi (both 6 songs each).
Lyrics - Sahir (4 songs).

[NOTE - have excluded some 5 songs which i think are no match to any in the world... want to keep them to myself....]

Attachments

• HINDI FILM TOP 20 - SUMEET.xls
    17.5 KB · Views: 9
MY TOP 20 HINDI FILM SONGS.....

my favorites according to the list,

Music Director - S.D.Burman (3 songs).
Singers - Lata / Rafi (both 6 songs each).
Lyrics - Sahir (4 songs).

[NOTE - have excluded some 5 songs which i think are no match to any in the world... want to keep them to myself....]

>>>

In my case, in the desert island thirty, the analysis reveals preferences :

Composers - SD Burman (11), followed by Kanu Roy (3), RD Burman (3) & OP Nayyar (3). That is 20 out of 30.

Playback - Rafi (9), Geeta Dutt (6), Lata (6) & Kishore (5), out of 33 ( due to duets)

Lyricists - Majrooh dominates (9), followed by Gulzar (5), Shailendra (5) & Sahir (4) out of 30.

Also that there are very few songs from the 70s afterwards.

In fact I missed out on a few from the 30s and 40s, during the heyday of Pankaj Mullick, Khursheed, KC Dey and KL Saigal eras.

Revealing the songs won't take them away from you! So do share.

In any case, there are so many outstanding songs and I have mentioned not only my thirty but also quite a few others which somehow could not make it ( that is why lists are cruel!) which I've mentioned here that listening to them is so very enchanting.

Regards

@ above-
blasphemy blasphemy.... u mention jewel thief for something other than rula ke gaya sapna mera.
edit

>>>
:)

Jewel Thief is one of my favourites, both as film and as a source for wonderful music. See my quote below. Choosing one song over the other is difficult as all of them are favourites.

Quote.If I have to shortlist films for their music, I will unhesitatingly choose Anubhav (surreal Kanu Roy), Guide, Pyaasa, Teen Devian, Teesri Manzil, Aradhana, Jhanak Jhanak Payal Baje and Jewel Thief.Unquote.

Baithe hain kya is one of my favourites because of the jazz like nature of the composition and the unusual tune/tone/metre.

Regards

GREATEST LOVE SONG EVER.....

SONG - DOOR REH KAR NA KARO BAAT, KAREEB AAJAO.....
FILM - AMAANAT
MUSIC - RAVI
SINGER - RAFI
LYRICS - SAAHIR

??? ???? ? ??? ???, ???? ? ???
??? ?? ?????? ?? ???, ???? ? ???

?? ?????? ?? ?????? ?? ??????? ???? ??
?? ?? ??? ???? ??????, ????? ? ???

???? ?????? ?? ?????? ??? ??? ??? ????
??? ???? ?? ?????, ???? ? ???

?? ??? ???? ?????? ?? ?????? ???? ??
?????? ?? ?? ?? ?? ???, ???? ? ???

------------- SAAHIR.....

[ NOTE - SAAHIR SAHAB very rarely wrote out and out romantic (ishquiya) numbers... all his songs have a shade of pathos, philosophical depth, DARD as they say, to it... this one is one of those rareties]

COMING-UP, A SAAHIR LUDHIYANVI TOP 10.....

Back