The inventor of Cassette Tape is dead

Analogous

Recalling Fond memories of listening to music on tape, Walkman players, repairing chewed up tape, cutting and splicing tape, using pencils to roll up unspooled tape, the hiss, copying tapes, making mixtapes, sharing ....and loving the music.

Till he passed away I did not know the name of the inventor. RIP Lou Ottens...thank you.

RIP, cassettes were great, still are!!

my first cassette - cant remember correctly but I think it was a BASF C60, 1981
my first cassette recorder - Philips 22RR482

I want to find one, to frame and display on my wall as a memento, a relic and reminder of the countless hours of joy I had listening to them.

Growing up as a boy in the 60's I remember everyone owning a Philips cassette player. It was a game changer you could mix your songs and then share that cassette with your friends OMG what memories!

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 8
The following wisdom stood out for me:

“When your time has gone, it’s time to disappear. If there are better products than the cassette, then you move on. I don’t believe in eternity.’”

That openness makes his creativity even greater. RIP to the legend. Thanks for introducing him to us.

Two lovely videos for cassette lovers:

1) Cassettes can actually sound great -
2) Yes, there are cassettes still being manufactured -

Also some links for those interested in buying tapes:

1) If you want to buy new high quality cassettes (type-1) that are not Chinese or Indonesian - https://www.nationalaudiocompany.co...te-tapes/c256-music-grade-tabs-out-cassettes/
2) if you want to buy cassette cases, labels, etc - https://www.nationalaudiocompany.com/cassette-packaging/

Note: the tape duration listed is for both sides together (divide by 2 for the duration of 1 side)

Not only new cassettes are still manufactured, but also there is a label in India, who release new albums in cassette format. The owner is my friend. But there is no market of cassette in India presently. He record his cassette in a manufacturing plant somewhere in Europe, then sell directly from there outside India.

Moreover, China is making blank cassettes till date.

There are some Metal Blank manufacturer to in the Europe, Techmoan buy his metal blanks from him.

Seen pre-recorded cassettes in Virgin stores in Dubai. Those mainly include re-release of old titles from eighties and nineties ( English/Arabic). Seen a couple of old Hindi compilations also. They are expensive at around AED 45 ( roughly USD 12).
SQ is varying from album to album (Okay to good)

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back