The journey of building my own workstation desk

corElement

In 2018 I picked up woodworking. Fast forward to pandemic times, I took advantage of work from home option to make a desk. For many years I wanted a desk that's customized to my own posture and a design that is my own. It took me a few months for the entire process but the end result was well worth it. Lot of pictures up ahead, maybe it'll inspire someone to make their own things! Enjoy!

Wood is Burmese teak

Attachments

• lumberyard.jpg
    lumberyard.jpg
    158.3 KB · Views: 38
  • lumber-1.jpg
    lumber-1.jpg
    207.7 KB · Views: 30
  • lumber2.jpg
    lumber2.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 30
  • lumber-3.jpg
    lumber-3.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 28
  • Design1.jpg
    Design1.jpg
    259.4 KB · Views: 28
  • legs1.jpg
    legs1.jpg
    267.5 KB · Views: 28
  • legs2.jpg
    legs2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 28
  • rail1.jpg
    rail1.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 28
  • rail2.jpg
    rail2.jpg
    187.4 KB · Views: 28
  • rail3.jpg
    rail3.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 29
  • assembly1.jpg
    assembly1.jpg
    395 KB · Views: 28
  • top1.jpg
    top1.jpg
    214.9 KB · Views: 27
  • assembly-3.jpg
    assembly-3.jpg
    334.6 KB · Views: 28
  • assembly-2.jpg
    assembly-2.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 28
  • rearrail1.jpg
    rearrail1.jpg
    427.2 KB · Views: 33
  • top2.jpg
    top2.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 33
  • rough-assembly.jpg
    rough-assembly.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 34
  • rough1.jpg
    rough1.jpg
    238.9 KB · Views: 34
  • joinery.jpg
    joinery.jpg
    323.2 KB · Views: 33
  • joinery2.jpg
    joinery2.jpg
    368.6 KB · Views: 34
Last edited:
Part 2

Attachments

• assembly-5.jpg
    assembly-5.jpg
    335.7 KB · Views: 34
  • assembly-6.jpg
    assembly-6.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 30
  • bumpers.jpg
    bumpers.jpg
    208.2 KB · Views: 31
  • finish0.jpg
    finish0.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 33
  • finish1.jpg
    finish1.jpg
    347.6 KB · Views: 33
  • finish2.jpg
    finish2.jpg
    329.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20220507_174544.jpg
    20220507_174544.jpg
    654.7 KB · Views: 39
  • photo_2023-01-10_15-26-19.jpg
    photo_2023-01-10_15-26-19.jpg
    148.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 20220521_182258.jpg
    20220521_182258.jpg
    992.3 KB · Views: 48
  • 20220521_181650.jpg
    20220521_181650.jpg
    829.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 20220704_130543.jpg
    20220704_130543.jpg
    743.2 KB · Views: 50
Absolutely gorgeous @corElement

I've been wanting a similar vintage study desk for sometime now. Even I wanted a victorian era table and chair, plus a monitor. My available space is only 3 ft wide. So still lost as to mounting a monitor and small speakers in that space. But thanks for sharing your inspiring build. Looks absolutely beautiful.

Fabulous work! Congratulations!
Thank you, took a lot of effort but it got there

Craftsmanship Defined!
- ...0 Margin... particularly for Joints.
Yeah the 0 margin is the difference between a piece of furniture made in 2 weeks vs something made in several months.

Absolutely gorgeous @corElement

I've been wanting a similar vintage study desk for sometime now. Even I wanted a victorian era table and chair, plus a monitor. My available space is only 3 ft wide. So still lost as to mounting a monitor and small speakers in that space. But thanks for sharing your inspiring build. Looks absolutely beautiful.
3 feet is enough room, show me a photo in dm and I can give you some ideas.

Nice work. No plans of making a standing desk 😅
nah, that monitor is actually an oled tv + the white marble is too heavy for hydraulic standing desk. Also, there's millions of standing desks in the world, but there is only one table like this, and there will only ever be, one, in entire human history.

Thank you, took a lot of effort but it got there

Yeah the 0 margin is the difference between a piece of furniture made in 2 weeks vs something made in several months.

3 feet is enough room, show me a photo in dm and I can give you some ideas.

nah, that monitor is actually an oled tv + the white marble is too heavy for hydraulic standing desk. Also, there's millions of standing desks in the world, but there is only one table like this, and there will only ever be, one, in entire human history.
Thanks for the offer 😁👍

Iam presently away, so can't take a dedicated pic now. But we can just make out the study table in white in the left corner there.

My wife forced me to reuse a table we had at home. But I plan on breaking it and go with a proper victorian chair and table 😜😜.

IMG-20221002-WA0012.jpg
The white leather bench presently being used for seating. Will be shifted to the centre of the room, to act like an ottoman / foot stool. And I plan on getting a chair like the below built locally.
images (96).jpeg

Now iam lost regarding the table. I can't find a ready made one, that will fit into that narrow space of 3 feet width. So if I can find a good looking design. Then I can get that built too. As you might have realised by now, I like gold and bling 😜😜. So white and gold, with probably a polished high gloss white marble top will be just what the doctor ordered.

The another issue is about fitting a small TV on the wall and shoving in 2 speakers for a near field personal listening and viewing space.

Thanks for the offer 😁👍

Iam presently away, so can't take a dedicated pic now. But we can just make out the study table in white in the left corner there.

My wife forced me to reuse a table we had at home. But I plan on breaking it and go with a proper victorian chair and table 😜😜.

View attachment 74456
The white leather bench presently being used for seating. Will be shifted to the centre of the room, to act like an ottoman / foot stool. And I plan on getting a chair like the below built locally.
View attachment 74457

Now iam lost regarding the table. I can't find a ready made one, that will fit into that narrow space of 3 feet width. So if I can find a good looking design. Then I can get that built too. As you might have realised by now, I like gold and bling 😜😜. So white and gold, with probably a polished high gloss white marble top will be just what the doctor ordered.

The another issue is about fitting a small TV on the wall and shoving in 2 speakers for a near field personal listening and viewing space.
Look up Victorian library tables. But yeah finding a design you like is key. It took me almost a year of envisioning what design I want because I wanted something truly original and my own. If you are very serious about it, I guess you could potentially commission me for it. I'll be back in India in feb.

Look up Victorian library tables. But yeah finding a design you like is key. It took me almost a year of envisioning what design I want because I wanted something truly original and my own. If you are very serious about it, I guess you could potentially commission me for it. I'll be back in India in feb.
Thanks 😀

Will check up victorian library tables on Google images and get back. Thanks

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back