The Legendary "1979" Technics SL-1200mk2

Record Player

From the day I entered the Vinyl world which has gotten me obsessed with the finesse of Analog, I have been spreading the word on this Vinyl passion of mine across me friends, family and even acquaintances across the globe and by this I got about a couple of hundred records shipped to me but not a single record player!!! I thought I could never find one through this medium but this changed until yesterday. Yesterday a friend of mine came up with a turntable from a friend of his. That ladies and gentlemen, was the legendary Technics SL-1200mk2 to my surprise. Need I say more on my expressions :D .I couldnt believe it!! The first person I shared this was with Reuben and he was extremely excited as I was. He reckons I have some legends on me audio rack now :)

Now getting back to reality, I thought, can this be really happening, I mean a Technics 1200-mk2 knocking at my door!!!! Surely there could be some serious issues that I am missing.

My first visual impressions The TT was extremely dusty, dirty with a lot of deep scratches and corrosion. It looked battered and bruised. Just after seeing I thought it cant play no more. Powered it up and all the controls were working just fine except the Stylus Illuminator. The tonearm rest was also broken but had an adjustment with the arm clip and lock working fine. It came with an original Technics head shell and a Stanton cartridge which looked to be okay. The 1200 is very heavy and is built like a tank.

My first listening expressions After the visual checkup, I thought I might as well try and see if it has any juice left in it to sing! I wanted to check it in its as in condition. Only rebalanced the tone arm. Powered it up and queued it to play and it played absolutely fine. The output was simply amazing. Extremely clear and detailed with dead accurate speed. It was simply amazing on how this performed and it clearly lived up to its expectations.

So now what? Yes, its going to be my main deck now but first I needed to give it a complete internal and external cleanup. So I got to the job and cleaned the exteriors first with solutions like WD40, Wax Polish and warm water. Then, I got to the internals and I was surprised to see the internals in pristine condition with all its original parts in place. Hardly any dust inside. All the Stylus Illuminator now needs is a replacement bulb which I intend to change in the following weeks. I also plan to change the interconnects with a set of high quality interconnects and this is all I will change and plan to keep this in stock condition for some time. Mods will be sort after at a later stage. After all the cleaning, I put everything back together and now this beauty looks much better and is proudly staged on the Rack.

I dont think me needs to get into any technical details of this 1200-mk2 as this legend needs no introduction to its sound and quality.

Conclusion - Cant ask for more. Very pleased with the legendary 1200-mk2 and its charming analogue sound. The 1200 is musical provided with explosive transients that make any kind of rhythm music pop out of the speakers.

Now, some pictures from its various stages

As is Pictures:

w6c5.jpg

The Now Pictures:

mogc.jpg

rqax.jpg

r936.jpg

98q3.jpg

n6ky.jpg

lk1g.jpg

7qf3.jpg

n6qj.jpg

c2fv.jpg

m0uh.jpg

ybsb.jpg

cwt4.jpg

9igq.jpg

Once all was setup, I had to play one of my mint Vinyls:

9lpr.jpg

Last edited:
hey, congratulations my friend!

This is real great news, you finally got the gem. You have been looking for a premuim turntable from sometime.

I need to accept that you have have great luck, Technics Sl 1200 MK2 coming to your door step.
Now enjoy the music on the new gear.

Hi,
I know it was a dream come true for you. Yes, knock and the door will open, seek and you will find. Yes, you have found your dream machine. I am happy for you. i am sure, it will continue to improve with use

Hi,
I know it was a dream come true for you. Yes, knock and the door will open, seek and you will find. Yes, you have found your dream machine. I am happy for you. i am sure, it will continue to improve with use

Thank you Sir. A lot of inspiration comes from you especially after our one on one meet at Vinyl Bungalow and your sheer passion for Vinyl.

Can feel the excitement, I'm sure you're not going to have to upgrade in a long long time. From my experience, the 3020 sings very well with Shure carts so that might be the only upgrade you require. Now all that's left is to update your signature :)

Congrats once again. As I said and always say, success is the fruit of patience and perseverance. You are well and truly, the owner of a legendary rack now, with the 3020 and 1200 (2 of the biggest legends in Hifi audio history and the 412 which is the successor to perhaps one of the best tuners of all time, the 402. Enjoy the music!!

Also, spares are in abundance but ensure that if required, use only OEM spares.

Congrats great find :clapping: Your source is very good now you should concentrate in upgrading cartridge and a good quality outboard Phonostage

Regards,
Sachin

This should definitely cure your 'upgradatitise' as far as TT goes. You now have an absolute beauty with you.

Apart from cosmetic cleaning I recommend applying very few drop of good sewing machine oil at the base of the spindle(after removing the platter). Normally this is the only maintenance required by this workhorse.

Is it possible to provide the serial no. of the table? (just for academic interest)

Regards,

Bhaskar

Living a fairy tale? Did you pinch yourself to confirm that its not a dream? People go hunting for a 1200 and this comes and knocks your door?

BTW, what time you are not at home?

Congrats buddy! I have one of these and yes it sounds perfect.
If not already done then - Just download "TECHINCS BAERWALDS ARC PROTRACTOR" from vinylengine.com and print it to exact size, no resize option. Adjust your cart with that and let us know how it sounds. There is link of instruction too.

Congrats mate! slightly envious of you now :) Looks to be in great condition too. Nice snaps as well...good one!
But as they say '..the more, the merrier...', keep them mk2s piling ;)

Interesting:

It is possible to tell the year (and the month) when the SL-1200 was manufactured from the serial number on the back or bottom of the turntable. SL-1200 serial numbers are in two different formats, depending on the date of manufacture. It isn't exactly possible to determine the decade in which the SL-1200 in question was manufactured, as the serial number contains only the last digit of the year. If the year digit is 8, the turntable may have been manufactured in 1978, 1988, 1998 or 2008. If the year digit is 0, the turntable may have been manufactured in 1980, 1990 or 2000. One rule of thumb is that old-format serial numbers belong to SL-1200s manufactured during the 1970s and 1980s, while new-format serial numbers belong to SL-1200s manufactured during the 1990s and beyond.

Old-format serial number: NHOJF20765 (SL-1200 manufactured 1982)
The first digit shows the year when the turntable was manufactured. These serial numbers contain no indication of the month of manufacture. It should be noted that serial numbers in this format contain no letters following digits.

New-format serial number: GE4FB001154 (SL-1200MK2 manufactured June 2004)
The first digit shows the year when the turntable was manufactured, while the month of manufacture is indicated by the letter following it. Months are coded as letters between A and L inclusive; A indicates January, B indicates February, and so on, so F indicates June.

In addition to the above, all the SL-1200MK2s from the 1970s and early 1980s have a 4-inch-diameter (100 mm) plate where the RCA and ground wires enter the chassis in the rubber base of the unit. The later models have a smaller hole through which the wires enter the unit.

Courtesy: Determining the age of your Technics 1200. | Serato.com

Interesting:

It is possible to tell the year (and the month) when the SL-1200 was manufactured from the serial number on the back or bottom of the turntable. SL-1200 serial numbers are in two different formats, depending on the date of manufacture. It isn't exactly possible to determine the decade in which the SL-1200 in question was manufactured, as the serial number contains only the last digit of the year. If the year digit is 8, the turntable may have been manufactured in 1978, 1988, 1998 or 2008. If the year digit is 0, the turntable may have been manufactured in 1980, 1990 or 2000. One rule of thumb is that old-format serial numbers belong to SL-1200s manufactured during the 1970s and 1980s, while new-format serial numbers belong to SL-1200s manufactured during the 1990s and beyond.

Old-format serial number: NHOJF20765 (SL-1200 manufactured 1982)
The first digit shows the year when the turntable was manufactured. These serial numbers contain no indication of the month of manufacture. It should be noted that serial numbers in this format contain no letters following digits.

New-format serial number: GE4FB001154 (SL-1200MK2 manufactured June 2004)
The first digit shows the year when the turntable was manufactured, while the month of manufacture is indicated by the letter following it. Months are coded as letters between A and L inclusive; A indicates January, B indicates February, and so on, so F indicates June.

In addition to the above, all the SL-1200MK2s from the 1970s and early 1980s have a 4-inch-diameter (100 mm) plate where the RCA and ground wires enter the chassis in the rubber base of the unit. The later models have a smaller hole through which the wires enter the unit.

Courtesy: Determining the age of your Technics 1200. | Serato.com

Excellent Reuben. I just checked and this one is a 1982 model.

Congrats!! It is a wonderful feeling that you finally got a Technics 1200 MK II. Only last week you shared your desire for it. Makes one believe in fairy tales.:clapping:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back