• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

The MOTHER of all the amps in the World !

Rega

yogibear

Every once in a while we come across high-end exotic audio equipment with awe inspiring technology and design but the Opera Only amplifier doesnt quite fit into the same league, its way beyond the rest. Designed by an Italian designer named Andrea Pivetta, its the updated and more powerful version of the Opera One and looks straight out of a sci-fi movie. Visually, the amplifier appears to be a piece of art rather than just audio equipment. The Opera Only amplifier measures 1.25 x 1.9 x 1.25 m (4.1 x 6.2 x 4.1 ft), and weighs 1,500 kg (3,307 lb. When idle, it sits closed like a monolith, a massive cylindrical object, but with the help of a remote it opens up like a transformer with its six outer doors dividing and opening out to overall dimensions of 1.85 x 2.5 x 1.85 m (6 x 8.2 x 6 ft).

The state of the art amplifier features six-30 kW triple-insulated toroidal transformers and 2,112 high current bipolar transistors, which are cooled by half a dozen fan coolers. The 2.5m-tall Opera Only amplifier is capable of producing class-leading 160,000-watts of power and it does that either as two 80kW channels or in six-channel form. The chassis is built out of aircraft-grade aluminum and steel and this made-to-order amp takes 6 months to construct. The crazy amplifier comes with a crazier price tag, it costs 1.65 million (about US$2.2 million), with 35 percent of the cost payable as a deposit.

Check the specs....
Power input 230/400V 50/60 Hz 400 A
Power supply 3200 Amp - 1.000.000 mF
Output multich. 6 x 10.000 watt RMS Class A
(or 12x5.000 watt RMS Class A)
Connections 96 speakON - 12 RCA - 12 XLR
Lighting laser diode - led RGB

Chassis
Completely absent from connections and openings
Aeronautic aluminium treated with NECE interference

Dimension and weight
Width x Height x Depth 1250 x 1350 x 1250 mm
Once opened 1850 x 1650 x 1850 mm
Weight 800 Kg

yogibear

It looks like an Alien ship captured recently and at a public display ! A pure Class A power amp !!!

I have a tiny-tiny baby amp of similar transistor DIY amp, pure Class A with two transistors per channel, 9 watts RMS per channel.

This one is the MOTHER-LODE !!!!

Last edited:

yogibear

May be a series of 12 speakers which would not blow at 5000 watts RMS each. Are there B&Ws to handle this amp? They are notoriously power hungry and dip a low to 2 ohms or their "Notoriety" is way short ????

Any more options ????

yogibear

I would rather set up 100 plus dB speakers and run them with my tiny 9 watts Class A amp !

shibashis

No, all of you are missing something here. It is an Alien space craft, if not a craft then an Alien technology never the less disguised as an amplifier. Its purpose is to plant sentinels through sonic waves in the minds of unsuspecting wannabe audiophiles.
You have been warned! Don't let them take over the planet.

yogibear

Even 100 watts RMS would be way too much I believe and for 15 mins would be too long to bear.

But its a marvel to produce so many kilowatts of Class A amplification and at 5000 RMS at 12 channels, it may find use to Music Concerts, but of course 5000 RMS would be way too much even there.

Flash

It looks like a teleportation device. It probably is .. Whoever buys it will be teleported from being rich to a teleported state of poverty .

rohitmusic

Nice effort.

To me it looks more like equipment from an IT lab!

As a student of music I would study vintage gear to understand how well designers of that time could combine art with music. there are some vintage amps that can be used as a reference to debate whether they are music equipment or can be placed in some art museum :)

This is really nice engineering effort though. Nice..
If those opening panels have a functional value to affect sound depending on how much you open them, then I would say it would be pure genius and rate this very very high!

captrajesh

Staff member
I can challenge if you can hear more than 100RMS for 15mins which results more than 100 decibels and can permanently damage your ears at some portion of the spectrum.
It's not about loudness. It's about the amp's ability to cater to the dynamic peaks that are part of the music.

A rough analogy: If a bike has an upper speed limit of say 150 Kmph, it doesn't mean that the vehicle is supposed to be driven at those speeds. It's about the reserve power at your hands to tap when you require, say overtake another vehicle etc. It would be easier to understand the concept when one is an avid biker. Same is the case with cars too.

That kind of reserve power becomes all the more important in the audio field which has to reproduce audio that has such complex dynamics. You may go through this article for a more detailed explanation which I had chanced upon just today morning: Sanders Sound Systems - Tubes vs. Transistors White Paper

Thad E Ginathom

It's for dads who want to tell their little ones: "Hey, you think your transformer is great? Just look at mine!"

I don't doubt that it provides hours of endless fun and amusement, but any serious buyer should ask how much the show-off gadgetry here, that has absolutely nothing to do with sound quality, is costing them. Have the money? Prioritising the show-off factor? Buy! Buy! Buy! And enjoy :).

I want one of these.

Would it make better toast? I doubt it very much, but it would be much more fun :D

Hiten

My Ahuja Power Amplifier 'SPA-10000' affectionately called 'Big Daddy" blows every power amplifier out of the water. It created little power shortage in my little home town in '98. Was listening to 'I got the power' by SNAP and got carried away with volume.
Regards.