The Movies I Liked

Saw The Hunter starring Willem Dafoe.

I have just three words for this movie - What a Movie!!! To tease your appetite, I shall show below an extract from the book written by Julia Leigh. Needless to say, Dafoe's performance is extra ordinary!

"Already a hit in Australia, Leigh's flawed but exciting debut describes the deadly search for the fabled, and perhaps extinct, Tasmanian tiger, aka the thylacine. A mysterious man who is identified to the reader only as M assumes the identity of "Martin David, naturalist" and arrives at the filthy, disheveled house of depressed Lucy Armstrong, whose husband, Jarrah, a naturalist and bioethics expert, recently disappeared on the plateau. Lucy's home becomes the base for M's treks into the wilderness, ostensibly to study the habits of Tasmanian devils. In fact, and in secret, M works for a biotech company. His mission: to secure genetic material from what may be the world's last remaining thylacine, reportedly sighted on the plateau. M must hide his true occupation from Lucy and her lonely children, Sass and Bike, as well as from the National Parks researchers and the suspicious local townspeople. Sydney-based Leigh shifts ably between M's laconic narration and third-person storytelling. With the exception of a superfluous (and clumsily handled) romantic subplot, the novel's events are compelling, drawing the reader deep into M's inner jungle. Leigh is most effective when writing in M's voice, exploring his relationship to the wilderness, his tracking expertise and his ability "to think like a true and worthy predator." Fans of Peter Matthiessen will find Leigh darker and sometimes less ambitious, but effective in similar ways, as M's obsession with the hunt drives this moody work by a gifted new author to its chilling conclusion."

See this movie if you can get your hands on it. I am ordering for the book.

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up.

Despicable Me [2010]

Despicable Me (2010) - IMDb

A good Animated movie about a villain who wants to be the greatest villain among'st others. The Minion characters are really awesome and they keep the viewer laughing. Story is different and good . (Read somewhere that the Minions are going to get their own movie, waiting for it.). A must watch for kids.

Rio [2011]

Rio (2011) - IMDb

An entertaining Animated movie from the makers of IceAge, set in Rio de Janeiro. Some good music and dance makes the movie interesting .

Kahaani [2012]

Kahaani (2012) - IMDb

A very good Drama/Thriller movie. I usually completely avoid Bollywood movies, but this one is a class apart. Fantastic direction by Sujoy Ghosh, very good cinematography. The culture of Kolkata is portrayed very well. Vidya Balan adds icing to the cake. And the best part for me is NO SONGS!!.
A must watch.

You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger [2010]

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182350/

A nice time pass Drama/Comedy movie about a unhappy family struggling to stay together. A good one time watch.

Unknown [2006]

Unknown (2006) - IMDb

A good Crime/Drama movie. Lot of twists an turns in the story, nothing too great but is nevertheless interesting in a nonsensical sort of way.

Cheers.

Watched this last night and was thrilled to watch John Cusack in a terrific role. He plays as a writer of murder stories and gives birth to a serial killer who is inspired by his stories. Now how does he stop him (who)???

Worth watching...

The Raven

MV5BMjE4MjU4ODUxOF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTk5NTY2Nw@@._V1._SY317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg

Last edited:
The Raid: Redemption (2011) - IMDb

215px-The_Raid_Redemption.jpg

You like action with lots of blood and gore? Watch this Indonesian movie.

In the Jakarta slums, a derelict apartment building has become a no-go area - even the police are unwilling to enter. It has become a safe-house for the most dangerous killers and gangsters. A SWAT team infiltrate the building, under the cover of darkness, to remove its owner - a notorious drug lord named Tama

Saw some moves over the last one week and here are my views.

1. Super 8. Though a decent SciFi movie, I expected much more from a JJ Abrams & Steven Spielberg combination. The movies is about a bunch of kinds who are shooting an amateur movie in a railway station, when a train passing by is involved in a major accident. When they look for survivors, they find one of their school teachers in a truck, who advises them to run away from the crash site. The site, and the whole locality is taken over my the US Army who are searching for 'something'. How the kids stumble upon the 'survivor' and help him is the story. Though the movie moves fast, the special effects could have been much better. A must for all SciFi fans.

2. Already Dead. This movie stars Ron Eldard (who also acts in Super 8) and Til Schweiger. Ron Eldard acts Archer whose wife is attacked and son killed. The police start a preliminary investigation, and the detective in charge is removed from the case. The detective points Archer to a psyche who directs him to a set of shadowy vigilantes who chase and catch the culprits and allow the victims to take personal revenge on the culprits - all for a price. Archer is led to an abandoned building and his culprit (Til Schweiger) tied to a chair. As he starts torturing 'The Man', Archer realizes he is not the culprit. Working with 'The Man' , Archer tries to escape from the place and has to fight with the shadowy organization that wants to kill them both.

Ron Eldard does not act too well, while Til Schweiger is in his elements. Some of the torture scenes are so realistic, it makes you flinch and feel the pain yourself.

3. Blind Horizon. Van Kilmer acts as Frank Kavanaugh, a man who wakes up with a head shot wound in a desert. As he recovers from the wound, Franks sees flashes of threat to POTUS. Nobody, excepting for a local Sheriff, believes him including the secret service. As the days pass, the Sheriff starts realizing the threat is real, but is unable to take action because of the speed at which the events unfold.

Van Kilmer looks old and tired and that suits his role superbly. Not the same Van Kilmer whose acting in The Ghost and the Darkness was so powerful. A decent movie for regular movie goers.

4. Tezz. Most people including the critiques have written off this movie, but I did like it a lot. It has a number of plus points. One; it is not the usual run around a tree nonsense. Two; the players are ordinary people. Three; the director has merged Indian and British/American actors well. Four; Anil Kapoor, Ajay Devgun, Bomman Irani, and Sameera Reddy all play their roles well. Five; photography and editing is very good.

The story revolves around the lives of 4 illegal immigrants to the UK who want to lead simple lives but are chased and harassed by the immigration authorities. They then plan to take revenge on the UK government. They are challenged by a retired police detective who wants to stop these people at any cost. Since these people are not professionals, the police are hot on their tail they find it increasingly difficult to execute their plan.

This is one of the movies that I feel, if done completely in English, could have run decently in the International circuit.

5. Run. I picked up this movie by sheer chance and was pasted to my couch for the length of the movie. Charlie Farrow is studying for law, and works in a automobile repair shop doing shall jobs. He is also a compulsive gambler, and manages to rip his friends regularly. One day the repair shop owner asks him to drive a Porsche to Atlantic City for delivery. As he is doing that, Charlie get stuck in a small town when the Porsche breaks down. A cab driver, mistaking him for a rich kid, drops him at a local gambling den owned by a local mob. There Charlie's luck is with him again and he continues to gamble and win - but he wins against the local mob leader's son - Denny Halloran. Denny is a poor loser and gets into a fight with Charlie. Charlie is no match for Denny, but Denny slips, bangs his head against a ledge, and dies. Now the whole town and all the police are after Charlie thinking he killed Denny. Charlie starts running from that moment to stay alive. In a deadly game of cat and mouse, Charlie has to stay one step ahead of the mobsters and the police. Quite a gripping movie if you like such movies. Patrick Dempsey, as Charlie Farrow, does a commendable job.

Cheers

Clue (1985) - IMDb

This is a nice comic whodunit. Its based on the game Clue or Cluedo where you keep getting clues and have to identify the murderer.

The story is more exciting as it comes with three endings and you can choose which one you like :)

Took off from office today and went for The Bourne Legacy.

When seen as a separate movie in whole, its good but if you compare it with Matt's version then a little soft. Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz & Edward Norton, strong characters and great acting. Overall good and enjoyable.!!

The Bourne Legacy was written by Eric Van Lustbader in 2004. He has even written 6 more of the Bourne series novels.

The Bourne Betrayal - (2007)
The Bourne Sanction - (2008)
The Bourne Deception - (2009)
The Bourne Objective - (2010)
The Bourne Dominion - (2011)
The Bourne Imperative - (2012)

So, we can expect the series to continue....

(Novels data taken from wikipedia and other sites)

I watched _The Bourne Legacy_ this sunday. It was quite enjoyable up to the point where the last chase starts. After that it went completely downhill, and the movie ends just like that, on what feels like an in-between point.

I don't think people who have not watched the previous movies will be able to quite figure out everything easily, especially the timeline in which the events in this movie is taking place (it begins in parallel to the events in the beginning of _The Bourne Supremacy_).

I'm not sure if the Bourne novels have a lot to do with the events in the movies. The first movie (_The Bourne Identity_) was loosely based on the novel of the same name. After that, the next two movies only had the names in common with the novels. I've not read the non-Ludlum Bourne novels, so I'm not sure if this movie was based on one.

Took off from office today and went for The Bourne Legacy.

When seen as a separate movie in whole, its good but if you compare it with Matt's version then a little soft. Jeremy Renner, Rachel Weisz & Edward Norton, strong characters and great acting. Overall good and enjoyable.!!

The Bourne Legacy was written by Eric Van Lustbader in 2004. He has even written 6 more of the Bourne series novels.

The Bourne Betrayal - (2007)
The Bourne Sanction - (2008)
The Bourne Deception - (2009)
The Bourne Objective - (2010)
The Bourne Dominion - (2011)
The Bourne Imperative - (2012)

So, we can expect the series to continue....

(Novels data taken from wikipedia and other sites)

Have you read the novels by Eric? How do they compare to Robert Ludlum? I have most of Ludlum's novels.

Have you read the novels by Eric? How do they compare to Robert Ludlum? I have most of Ludlum's novels.

No, I haven't read the novels by Eric but read only The Bourne Identity by Ludlum and enjoyed it more than the movie.

As per the data mentioned in wikipedia the current movie has a totally different plot compared to the novel written by Eric and only uses the same name as the novel.

As mentioned in wiki....
"The film uses the same title as The Bourne Legacy, a later Bourne novel written by Eric Van Lustbader, and like the previous three films in the franchise, it has a completely different plot from the eponymous novels."

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back