The NAD Sound

spaace

After running helter skelter auditioning as many speakers as I could, I found I had a thing for PSB / NAD combo.I liked the sound so much that I do not want to search any further. (apart from 2 ribbons)

However, this raises a few basic doubts which I would appreciate if someone could clear for me

1. Is it the speaker or the AMP

I have been auditioning all this while using Yamaha sound and none of the speakers I saw was a perfect match until now. Now that I liked something with NAD, I'm doubting if it's due to the speakers or the AMP?
I do intend to go down and test with another AMP, but wanted to know the opinion of the gurus on this.

2. Which other amps give the same NAD sound

The sound I heard was smooth, a bit dark (as if vacuum existed in between instrument sounds), VERY musical and no excessive treble with lots of good punchy bass.

I was seeing a lot of negative comments about NAD about QC issues, being china made etc.

Given the above fact, I wanted to know which other AMP gives the same sound and power as NAD (375BEE), but is much better made? (problem free / excellent construction).

3. Do we really have to go to all this pain to find the matching sound - why not ...gasp use the EQ?

The moment we start talking about the type of sound an AMP/speaker produces, its a given that we are not listening to THE original sound.

So why not use the EQ to say reduce the treble or increase the base?
Are there any pro EQ's to be had that can reduce only a few certain frequencies instead of modifying the sound as a whole?
Do good amps have good EQ's ?

Thanks
Arun

Last edited:
Hi

NAD and PSB go hand in hand.....

Polks and Denon / Yamaha / Marantz go also hand in hand.....

What appeals to your expectation and requirement, go straight for it

Lol ...Yes Sir Iam about to

But in the meanwhile, could you please quench those silly doubts I had ...Please?

Thanks
Arun

let me try ..

a. there is no such thing like "pure sound"... any thing inetween the CD and the speakers will have an effect.

b. Equalizers can be used but they add another link to the chain

c. It is best to keep the chain as simple as possible and as short as possible and as fat as possible ( amp with more juice like NAD 375 )

d. I have had issues with Naim CD player as well - so i dont think you whould worry about technical breakdowns etc... at this stage

e. NAD and PSB make good sound and so if you like it - go for it without any feeling of " brand "

Ultimately - we buy the sound and not the brand

Hi

A normal stereo amp only has Bass and Treble controls.....does not have EQ...so you need to hook up an EQ (externally) via RCA cables and use the same to refine the sound based on frequencies...

An AVR ..most of them have built in EQ modes like Rock, Arena, Club, Hall and some are adjustable......

I used to be a Stereo Amp user for almost 7 years then switched to AVR as had to hook up blu ray and other components via HDMI to enjoy surround sound etc....all inputs are Digital.....there is a 9 Band EQ available on all Marantz AVR models which is adjustable....so i make good use of it in terms of adjusting the frequencies to suit my taste and room acoustics....this helps for music and even movies...i still enjoy excellent music in stereo mode with no loss of punch or clarity......

A human being can hear frequencies between 20hz and 20khz....speakers which are capable of delivering maximum frequencies between this spectrum would be ideal....the amp just helps in boosting the listening outputs and makes some increases in few frequencies through bass and treble.....if you are used to making adjustments in EQ...you can make more refinement.....

Hope this helps, you can google for more information....i have given you my honest feedback based on my experience for the past 18 years....

paralysis by analysis is what is current scenario. you like the sound achieved then go for the combo. time for you to ditch the yama amp and move along. majority of equipment/brands are now made in china so holding that as a bad thing is not good. if equipment has to fail, it will fail no matter where it is made. so stop looking for excuses and pull the trigger on the purchase else you are just delaying the process and depriving yourself of what you like. music listening should be the ultimate goal not if's and buts

hope have quenched the silly doubts of yours

After running helter skelter auditioning as many speakers as I could, I found I had a thing for PSB / NAD combo.I liked the sound so much that I do not want to search any further. (apart from 2 ribbons)

However, this raises a few basic doubts which I would appreciate if someone could clear for me

1. Is it the speaker or the AMP

I have been auditioning all this while using Yamaha sound and none of the speakers I saw was a perfect match until now. Now that I liked something with NAD, I'm doubting if it's due to the speakers or the AMP?
I do intend to go down and test with another AMP, but wanted to know the opinion of the gurus on this.
Arun

It is combination of complete chain - [source >> amplifier >> speakers] x room acoustics.
Specifically for your query - amplifier and speaker combination

2. Which other amps give the same NAD sound

The sound I heard was smooth, a bit dark (as if vacuum existed in between instrument sounds), VERY musical and no excessive treble with lots of good punchy bass.

I was seeing a lot of negative comments about NAD about QC issues, being china made etc.

Given the above fact, I wanted to know which other AMP gives the same sound and power as NAD (375BEE), but is much better made? (problem free / excellent construction).
Arun

There are others amplifiers which are even smoother than NAD - Peachtree amplifiers, Marantz, etc. (in my opinion).
But its the combination that should work for you, only amplifier may not do the trick for you.
But note that two different amplifier may not have same sound signature or character.

You need to consider the room acoustics seriously if you want to entertain any thoughts of getting the similar sound as audition room..... those rooms are very well managed and acoustically treated to reduce room acoustic issues.

Don't worry about the product being made in China or Japan, established and big brands must take quality control in consideration... its their business and reputation.
iPhone is also made in China.... its quality that matters rather than made in China or Japan.... NAD is still NAD.

3. Do we really have to go to all this pain to find the matching sound - why not ...gasp use the EQ?

The moment we start talking about the type of sound an AMP/speaker produces, its a given that we are not listening to THE original sound.

So why not use the EQ to say reduce the treble or increase the base?
Are there any pro EQ's to be had that can reduce only a few certain frequencies instead of modifying the sound as a whole?
Do good amps have good EQ's ?
Arun

In almost every amplifier/receiver, you have options to adjust the sound as per your likings, and you could be looking to use the options if you have to.
Most of quite expensive sound correction software (used with PC or AVRs) adjust EQ to enforce room correction.
Its basically like adjusting the sound at the source itself, however not sure what sort of expertise would be required :)

But... bottom line.... as other members also suggested.... don't think about all this too much and go for the combination which you like after audition.
Enjoy....

Last edited:
As a former PSB + NAD owner myself, I say go for it! The sound you described...

... is the exact PSB + NAD sound. I really don't think any other combo can give this particular flavor, so to speak.

I used to use a PSB Image B6 with stands and a NAD 326BEE. I really regret having sold them. I should have kept them for a second setup (not that I need one), or for TV/Movie use. I had to buy a Polk Soundbar/Sub combo recently for movie use, and I really miss how the PSB/NAD combo used to sound (for about 50% original outlay of the Polk set I bought). I should have just packed them away and used them now. Sigh.

Last edited:
AFAIK PSB and NAD are sister companies and hence the combo is well tuned to match each other.

If you are happy with something just forget the setup and enjoy the music!
It took me a while to get out of the rut to keep searching for "better" equipment. Now I'm pretty much happy with any equipment that gives listening pleasure.

In my experience one could like a very basic beginner setup Vs a big $ investment. $ not = sound YOU will like!
Also the simplicity of a basic setup makes me turn it on more than a complex one.

2 cents.

There are others amplifiers which are even smoother than NAD - Peachtree amplifiers, Marantz, etc. (in my opinion).

Thanks a lot for the detailed reply. It does help a lot. Please, can I know what is it that makes the sound "smooth" - what did the amp/speaker combo do to the sound to achieve this? Remove the treble?

When I heard the combo, it felt cleaner - I described it as "like a vacuum in between the instruments" - what is the audiophile term for this? what causes this? Is this the same as smooth?

Thanks
Arun

I really regret having sold them.

I used to have a NAD c356 + Epos M12i..

Like most of us on a hardware trip...i embarked on the upward curve and now i think that combo was quite good as well... just needed a few tweaks..

The present setup is great as well but just to say that those days were good too.. no problems

regards

Last edited by a moderator:
"like a vacuum in between the instruments" - what is the audiophile term for this? what causes this? Is this the same as smooth?

I think its the impact of the room acoustics and you may not have been getting any disturbance/external notice as well. Refined representation of music also should have contributed to this.

Please, can I know what is it that makes the sound "smooth" - what did the amp/speaker combo do to the sound to achieve this? Remove the treble?

Smooth for me is slightly rolled off for higher frequencies (may be more technical word would be laidback I guess). It should not hurt your ears during long listening.
Amplifier and Speaker combination should compliment each-other. You should not pick bright amplifier with bright speakers.
Sometimes too soft/warm/smooth/laidback sound is also not much entertaining, it could sound a bit bass heavy and vocals could sound a bit dull, normally happens when warm amplifier is paired with warm speakers.

I used to have a NAD c356 + Epos M12i..

Like most of us on a hardware trip...i embarked on the upward curve and now i think that combo was quite good as well... just needed a few tweaks..

The present setup is great as well but just to say that those days were good too.. no problems

regards

Indeed! I'm super happy with my present setup, but the effort involved in switching everything on is simply too much these days (or I'm getting old and lazy).

Simplicity is tending to win over quality a lot these days at home, with my JBL Charge 2 BT speaker seeing a whole lot more action than the main setup.

This could be considered blasphemy, but after having gone through quite a few changes in system, I think I'd probably have been as happy as I am now, at the point where my setup consisted of a PC with Xonar STX Sound Card, NAD 326 BEE Amp and PSB Image B6 speakers on SF stands.

My current system is a far, far, better listening experience, but I might have been listening to more music with that old system (and still be left with a richer wallet, heh heh).

OP, sorry for the OT. :)

its a lot of learning shared over just a few lines..

not OT at all..

i agree - same with my feelings for the NAD C356 + Epos M12i..

I havent gone to the extent of a bluetooth speaker rule my music though ;)

regards

The sound you describe is a typical NAD sound. You would get that NAD house sound from all the NAD C*** amps. These amps are pretty well built, and largely underspeced. It would be difficult to get that sound from any other amp (including Marantz). NAD works well with PSB, Monitor Audio, EPOS, Acoustic Energy & B&W. Buy the NAD and carry it around to listen to some of these speakers and then decide.

Thanks,
Sharad Medhavi

I had heard this combo, and found ok sounding. It lacked punch overall, which I found it, in my current Marantz + BA with of course less costlier than NAD + PSB. So it is pretty much subjective. So I think before taking a leap, please audition more and more. After all it is a matter of all our hard earned money which we need to spend wisely and of course the passion, which why we all are here... happy hunting...

Sent from my Lenovo A7010a48 using Tapatalk

Update : I was able to do an A/B test (at same volumes) of the NAD 3275BEE and the ancient Yamaha DSP 2070, i have with me, with a proper switching device - There were no audible differences. So that settles whatever NAD "sound" doubt i had.

The differences, therefore, seemed to be more from the speaker/amp settings/room that might have been applied at the other store i heard the PSB Imagine T2/NAD combo.

ps : When doing fast A/B switching the NADs seemed to go into a failure mode every now and then and takes a whole lot long to recover. Yamaha, would trip and shut down very infrequently but we could switch them on immediately. Apparently NAD has some verification circuits which runs to verify everything and that contributed to the delay in starting them up after the trip is what i was told.

Update : I was able to do an A/B test (at same volumes) of the NAD 3275BEE and the ancient Yamaha DSP 2070, i have with me, with a proper switching device - There were no audible differences. So that settles whatever NAD "sound" doubt i had.

The differences, therefore, seemed to be more from the speaker/amp settings/room that might have been applied at the other store i heard the PSB Imagine T2/NAD combo.

ps : When doing fast A/B switching the NADs seemed to go into a failure mode every now and then and takes a whole lot long to recover. Yamaha, would trip and shut down very infrequently but we could switch them on immediately. Apparently NAD has some verification circuits which runs to verify everything and that contributed to the delay in starting them up after the trip is what i was told.

how you managed to trip both amps is very strange! what was the 'proper switching device' used? also what is failure mode?

in my opinion, amp protecting itself mode is better than blowing itself up mode.

how you managed to trip both amps is very strange! what was the 'proper switching device' used? also, what is failure mode?

lol - what I meant by "proper" was that the switching was not done manually removing the cables etc but flipping between the amp's using a speaker switcher. I believe the device was an 'Intex M' Speaker Switcher.

Failure mode - Well no sound for me - Yamaha would switch off and you just had to hit the power button to get it to work. NAD would not work even after flipping the power on/off for a while. The technicians were saying it had over heated due to switching ... I do not know why that would happen.

in my opinion, amp protecting itself mode is better than blowing itself up mode.

Sure is. I did not mean to comment NAD was inferior in its behavior in any way - it just sure did seem more finicky and trippy (assuming that's what happened) more often. If it's doing all this for the customer's benefit, more power to it.

Last edited:
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back