The next audio interface, spending less than 24,000

Thad E Ginathom

Having keenly followed the DAC around INR 100k thread, and been left with ambitious desires for equipment such as Burson Conductor, Lavry DA11, Grace, etc etc, even knowing that such stuff is outside my reach for four or five years, I've formulated a plan for the next affordable upgrade for my PC listening.

On a very quick visit to Stereo, (Singapura Plaza, Singapore) I tried on a pair of Audese LCD2s for size. For size, rather than for sound: I was was really curious to see if they were physically comfortable, as, very early in my headphone experience (I'm a beginner) I've realised that it is not worth even listening to something you couldn't stand being on your head. Well, yes, they are, and eminently desirable in every way that I had time to hear/notice.

What I also noticed was what they were plugged into: ifi iDAC -> ifi iCAN. What I couldn't fail to notice was the effect of the "3D sound" switch, which amazed me. I've wondered about crossfeed for hp listening for a while (sometimes dreaming of the Phonitor). ifi's 3D, if not the same as crossfeed, has much the same effect: moving the sound from the middle of one's head and taking it in front, without blurring, dulling or loosing treble.

Actually, my intention is to have a really good headphone amplifier, and the DAC is incidental to that, but I'm, sure that my Audiofire2 can be improved on.

Matching boxes always look nice, and the iDAC/iCAN combination looks very good, and is only moderately expensive. Actually, the iDAC includes headphone amplification, but I want that 3D gadget! And that leaves me feeling that I'm wasting some money there on one hp-out that I don't need.

The ifi pair is not terribly expensive. Thinking in UK pounds, it comes to 385 (bought in Singapore) but "nearly 400" has a very different ring to it than "under 300," and so I am planning to pair the iCAN with an ODAC.

The ODAC is famous, culturally, technically and sonically: a high-class DAC for just over a hundred UK pounds. A personal design project inspired by the passion to prove it could be done. A piece of home design and engineering which has gone into production and is being sold for just US$174 inc shipping. And people say that it sounds like it cost ten times as much.

While NwAvGuy does not make any money at all from his design (zero R&D costs must be a big element in that low, low final price), I still feel good about supporting the cause of what he has done and written.

So, the ODAC comes with feel-good factor, the iCAN comes with 3D (and, importantly, very good reviews of its sound with or without addons), and the combination saves me 100. This could make me very happy :D

I hope to get the ODAC, from USA (in dollars) quite soon, and the iCAN, from Singapore (in SGD) (It's British, but I'm not going to UK) later this year. I'll be paying in GBP, hence it being the reference currency for the post. Sorry for currency confusion!

(yes, I know that the current state of the Rupee is such that 24,000 would not buy 300 --- but it's a nice round number :cool: )

ifi micro range

ODAC --- JDS Labs

odac looks good for the price. but seems it is usb only. I am looking for a very good dac with optical input as well.

It is USB only, and this has been one of my considerations... wouldn't it be better to buy a more general purpose device? First, the computer+headphones is my primary listening system these days, and, second, at the price I am more than happy to regard it as being only a computer component. It costs less than a half-decent sound card --- although, admittedly, it only does half the job.

At first, I saw the ifi stuff as somewhat consumer-gadget-ish. Hifi snobbery on my part! Reading reviews really put me right on this: it is worthy of respect, it seems, especially at the price.

ODAC already has fans here on hfv, ifi, a relatively new product, is hardly known yet. I'll be a pioneer!

Last edited:
Have you looked up the M2Tech hiFace DAC?
Price: Euro 220
Website for online Purchase: M2TECH

Disclaimer: Have not heard the hiFace DAC yet so no comments on sound quality but reviews online have been positive in general.

h1.jpg

actually I think usb bandwidth is limited - so on my macbook optical should work better, while on appletv optical is the only option - unless I learn how to hack into it. to enable usb audio

I guess all bandwidth is limited :D

In that sense, going from Firewire to USB2 might be a step backwards? I wouldn't know without actually googling, but, while USB1 was deficient, USB2 has more than enough room for music. Perhaps not as many Khz as S/PDIF --- but, in practice, 44.1 is actually enough for me. Those building high-res music collections would not say the same.

On the other hand, I'll certainly be experimenting to see what my ODAC+Linux will stretch to. Customs allowing, I should get it towards the beginning of next week.

I suspected usb bandwidth caused strange noises with my hrt streamer. as advised by their engineering staff, I connected using a powered usb hub in between. bandwidth issue could have been because I used external hard disk over USB that stored music.

There are certainly things that can go wrong with PC audio --- lots of them! I had enormous problems with my Firewire setup in the past, and I went Firewire because I thought it would get away from some other problems! :eek:

If the hardware and OS/drivers do what you want, then I think it is probably all in the implementation, and it may not be possible to rank these protocols independently, saying that any of them is inherently superior to any other.

It is not at all unusual to hear that, on a given DAC, one input gives superior results to another, and I theorise that, due to implementation issues, this is perfectly possible. One thing that must not be forgotten, though: every cable has two ends :)

Hey ho... I've never used USB for audio before, and this time, I'm buying a USB DAC. No choice! :D

There are a number of boxes that I nearly bought, and one or two that are definite ambitions for the future, but that cannot be supported by my budget for four or five years! Equally, it would be fun to try several, and get into the comparison game, but, currently, I cannot afford that either.

I'm curious about the Meridian Explorer, because Meridian is a company that I thought (haven't looked for a decade or two) made only rather expensive stuff. wyred4sound seems like a company whose equipment represents great value and they certainly have a good reputation for audio quality.

My nearly-buys, at this time, were The ODAC+O2 combo and the Lekerton UHA-6S.MKII. My next-in-price possibility was another lesser-known box, the ADL GT-40. The fact that this is a DA/AD interface, and even includes a phono pre, ever so nearly pushed me into giving it a try.

The ODAC has arrived.

Cost: US$159 + $15.38 postage. (version with RCA sockets)
Despatch: Almost immediate!
Delivery: 16 Days
Customs: Nil. Package was obviously opened.

It is unbelievably small. I expected something about the size of the box it came in, but it is much smaller. Hardly a handful.

One of Linux things. Or one of those Thad things? :eek: For two or three hours I could not get it to work. It was frustrating, and I ever so nearly started my first for-sale thread! As ever, I'm not sure what the thing that made it work is, but I took a screen shot of the lets-try-this that was successful.
ODAC requires no drivers in Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux. Most operating systems immediately recognise and set ODAC as the default playback device
Yes, I'm sure they do, and I'm sure other buyers won't have my problems. They probably don't use the Jack Audio Connections kit :).

After all that, and being 1.00am, I don't think I can do any proper comparison. It's output is considerably less than my Audiofire, which, at 1.00am listening levels makes for a thin sound. We'll see tomorrow.

It's output is considerably less than my Audiofire

Ah, yes, one of those Linux things. The ALSA Mixer. Set it to 100% and scripted it to do that on login.

It is still not as loud, but this probably due to using single-ended connection. Balanced connections work at higher levels.

I haven't done any a-b comparison with my old unit as yet. I was too exhausted with the setup. Whilst I am committed to Linux, and will not go back to Win, I was disapointed here. I really expected plug and play from a class-compliant USB device. Now I find that, after some hassle getting Jack to work with it at all, I have swapped occasional Unhandled xruns for occasional Broken pipes :mad:

Apart from the techie stuff, what can I say? If this was a new system, no comparisons, I think I would be very happy indeed. I suspect that the stated aim, to create a transparent DAC, has probably been truly accomplished. That probably makes it unforgiving too: the analogue-vinyl artefacts on my digitisation of an Incredible String Band LP were more obviously there, but, perhaps, in a way that actually made it more like listening to Vinyl!

The output is very much less, which means the powered speaker volume is way higher. That also gives it more resolution in adjustment.

Through Gershwin, Mahler, Beethoven, Crosby Stills Nash, and the ISB, I thoroughly enjoyed the music I listened to yesterday. That can't be bad.

This thing is no bigger than some phones, and will easily fit into a shirt pocket. What I want to do is to carry it for comparison in other systems, and with better ears to do the listening. PC USB ony, but at this size and price what can one expect. The optional RCA sockets actually look huge on this box!

This thing is no bigger than some phones, and will easily fit into a shirt pocket. What I want to do is to carry it for comparison in other systems, and with better ears to do the listening. PC USB ony, but at this size and price what can one expect. The optional RCA sockets actually look huge on this box!

Bring it on Nick, we can compare it with AP DAC. Hope srinisundar is not busy enough so that we can compare it with Bryston DAC too.

Both those would be great. See how it stands up against high-end equipment --- and high-end ears :)

re the size: Looking again at the JDS Labs site... I hadn't realised that the ODAC without RCA is even smaller!. Oh well, I suppose I shouldn't be too surprised as these things can be fitted into something the size of a thumb drive these days. And my not-at-all-new Audiofire, with ADC/DAC and headphone out is only about twice the size.

Last edited:
The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back