The Phono Cartridge Thread

TaureanBull

Hi Guys,

I am starting this thread to discuss the various types of phono cartridges MM/MC, their availaility, costs and performance.

I have a small little list of some good performers:-

-AT120e : Good budget cartridge
-AT 440MLa
-Denon DL 110 (MC)
-Shure M447
-Shure V15 (old Thorens TD125)

The good places to buy are ebay and needledoctor.

If someon knows of a good place to buy cartridges in India let us share here.

It would be appreciated if people could share their cartridges, pics, performance and price with the tonearm and TT they are using.

Using Ortofon OMP-10 with my Technics SL-QD2 (Direct Drive T4P Mount). Very nice bass, probably highs can be a little better. Indian classical seems to sound better on it than rock/pop.

Got the cart for USD 70 (+900 duty) from turntableneedles.com

Hi,
I had bought Ortofon 5 and 10 from williamthakker(ebay.com) 2 years back. 10 was good....shipping was free to India, very prompt delivery.

I heard from few of the members that the brand new Shure carts some times does not work properly and they have to return it and wait for a month or so to get it replaced.
Has anyone faced problem with the Ortofon or other cart apart from Shure.

regards

Hi,

The 3009 version you have is the 'improved" version.

It was designed to work with the high compliance cartridges with low tracking weight like the Shure V15/III,ADC XLM,etc.

It is very good tonearm,but if you use a low compliance cartridge ( most mc cartridges)it will not work well.

The AT 440 is also a good cartridge for this tonearm.

Look at the newer high compliance cartridges from Ortofon,the old VMS20 was a popular choice with this tonearm.

The Shure V15/III,or type IV are perfect for this arm.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi,
I have project expression III with carbon fibre tonearm and Ortofon 2M red cart. bought it from Uk and costed me 435 pounds. The dealer was offering with a Alpha cart which i was not sure so had asked him to provide Ortofon 2m red cart so not sure of the individual price.

I found someone selling a Shure V 15 Type III cart w/o a stylus for Rs 3k. Can probably negotiate. However, it's not in mint condition, the body seems like it's seen better days. Since he doesn't have a stylus there's no way to test it out except to try putting a new one on there... seems kind of risky, but I am quite keen on getting this model. Currently I have a Shure M44-7 and from all I hear about the V 15, it sounds like it must be really terrific!

I found someone selling a Shure V 15 Type III cart w/o a stylus for Rs 3k. Can probably negotiate. However, it's not in mint condition, the body seems like it's seen better days. Since he doesn't have a stylus there's no way to test it out except to try putting a new one on there... seems kind of risky, but I am quite keen on getting this model. Currently I have a Shure M44-7 and from all I hear about the V 15, it sounds like it must be really terrific!

Yeah V-15 has a cult of its own. AFAIK at this price you can get better condition ones too with stylus.

Hi
I'm using AT-91 & AT-91E, bought 7 yrs ago fm Sim Lim Towers Singapore for approx Rs.1400/- Am visiting Dubai, any address as to where cartridges are available?
Tks

Hi
I'm using AT-91 & AT-91E, bought 7 yrs ago fm Sim Lim Towers Singapore for approx Rs.1400/- Am visiting Dubai, any address as to where cartridges are available?
Tks

I am not sure you will get in Dubai but I would be interetsed to know that too.

Anyone to suggest a high compliance MC cartridge. Any denons or dynavectors etc. Else I go for the MM ones. Tonearm SME 3009. Thorens TD 125 Mk II TT.

If I'm not totally mistaken, the SME is one of the more heavier arms and you might have to look for a lower compliance cartridge...

Anyone to suggest a high compliance MC cartridge. Any denons or dynavectors etc. Else I go for the MM ones. Tonearm SME 3009. Thorens TD 125 Mk II TT.

You could try the Audio-Technica OC9ML II or its recent version ML III. Its tracking force is 1.3 to 1.8 gms. I used the ML II for many years with my 3009 at a VTF of 1.5 (the max the 3009 is designed for), and I had no tracking problems. It's a superb cartridge and one of the most ValueforMoney of the MCs out there.

I wonder why nobody talks about vintage MM carts much around here.

Whenever someone comes up with a vintage TT with a vintage cart, they are usually directed to install a new shure/AT cart.

There are so many nice vintage carts which deserve to be still up and running - Jico make styluses for them, as do other generic OEM's like pfanstiehl and EVG (which are somewhat decent)

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back