The (really) Long term dedicated HT project!

superczar

All my life, I have been an instant gratification fan.
For a change (and for a combination of reasons), I now have 1 long year to plan and design dedicated HT room in a house extension and perhaps another 6-12 months to bring it to conclusion

Objective: Build a best bang-for-the-buck dedicated HT setup. Projection based, darkened room, meant solely for HT

Area: The section of the house is up for a redesign in some time so I have some flexibility in terms of setting aside the size/layout etc. A 15X10 feet is the base I have to work with .

Budget - Value oriented - In the sense if I was lucky enough to snag a just a DIRAC pre-processor for 1L , I'll gladly pay for it and pick discrete amps separately.
At the same time, I won't shell much more than that for a regular Audyssey AVR. Same sentiment goes for speakers and projector . Open to buying and stocking pre-owned for the right equipment at the right price

Video: Projector based. 4K preferred, 1080p is OK if I can get something which is really good with good HDR

Screen: 100" motorized

Video source: Apple TV in all likelihood as I like the OS and the ecosystem

Amp and Pre Amp/ Processor: Open to discretes if I can find something good else a Denon or Marantz AVR with Audyssey XT32 will do (e.g a SR6013). Audyssey XT32 is the minimum baseline

Speakers - Preferably in-wall else on-wall. While it may not make sense to use regular floorstanders etc, I also know that demand for good in-wall speakers is really low. If the in-wall option is overpriced, open to standalone speakers too. Would also need a sub that's adequate for a 150-200 sqft layoutbut not too fussy about the choice

Other considerations:
  1. Seating - 2 rows of 2 recliners (2x2), maybe 2X3​
  2. Dampening - Definitely need sound dampening, open to DIY​
  3. Lighting - Theatre style lighting, Will go with LIFX or Hue integrated with home automation in all likelihood unless better choices are out there​
While this is an open ended project, I have set aside an end 2021 completion date for this.
Completely open to all recommendations/suggestions !

All my life, I have been an instant gratification fan.
For a change (and for a combination of reasons), I now have 1 long year to plan and design dedicated HT room in a house extension and perhaps another 6-12 months to bring it to conclusion

Objective: Build a best bang-for-the-buck dedicated HT setup. Projection based, darkened room, meant solely for HT

Area: The section of the house is up for a redesign in some time so I have some flexibility in terms of setting aside the size/layout etc. A 15X10 feet is the base I have to work with .

Budget - Value oriented - In the sense if I was lucky enough to snag a just a DIRAC pre-processor for 1L , I'll gladly pay for it and pick discrete amps separately.
At the same time, I won't shell much more than that for a regular Audyssey AVR. Same sentiment goes for speakers and projector . Open to buying and stocking pre-owned for the right equipment at the right price

Video: Projector based. 4K preferred, 1080p is OK if I can get something which is really good with good HDR

Screen: 100" motorized

Video source: Apple TV in all likelihood as I like the OS and the ecosystem

Amp and Pre Amp/ Processor: Open to discretes if I can find something good else a Denon or Marantz AVR with Audyssey XT32 will do (e.g a SR6013). Audyssey XT32 is the minimum baseline

Speakers - Preferably in-wall else on-wall. While it may not make sense to use regular floorstanders etc, I also know that demand for good in-wall speakers is really low. If the in-wall option is overpriced, open to standalone speakers too. Would also need a sub that's adequate for a 150-200 sqft layoutbut not too fussy about the choice

Other considerations:
  1. Seating - 2 rows of 2 recliners (2x2), maybe 2X3​
  2. Dampening - Definitely need sound dampening, open to DIY​
  3. Lighting - Theatre style lighting, Will go with LIFX or Hue integrated with home automation in all likelihood unless better choices are out there​
While this is an open ended project, I have set aside an end 2021 completion date for this.
Completely open to all recommendations/suggestions !
What's the total budget for this project..
Only then you will get useful suggestions.

Would suggest a few tweaks
1.screen take acoustic transparent and fixed for a dedicated ht. Motorised is useless unless you plan a TV behind.
2.for primarily ht avoid floorstanders
3.mood lighting is nice but also gimmicky so won't have long term benefit esp. For the cost.
4.two rows would need a long room and a riser so would need to be budgeted.

What's the total budget for this project..
Only then you will get useful suggestions.
It’s not a fixed budget given the duration but if i have to put a number, I’d say 4L + 50%/- 25% (for AV components and excluding furniture/civil work)

Let me try put it another way- I’d like to get away with the minimum spend for each component that yields me a good enough system but without any major compromises - but ok with spending more if I get something exceptionally good.
e.g. for the processor/amp, the minimum I would look for is XT32. That would mean setting aside approx 1L for a Denon X4500 or a Marantz SR6014
However if an Anthem 720 comes up in a deal for say 1.5L then would be glad to get that instead.

1.screen take acoustic transparent and fixed for a dedicated ht. Motorised is useless unless you plan a TV behind.
3.mood lighting is nice but also gimmicky so won't have long term benefit esp. For the cost.
1 - The screen side area has a big window behind it which I intend to keep closed but wanted to have the flexibility to open it once in a month or so to let the sun in..
I can certainly look at reversing the layout but that would mean redesigning the entrance door.
Would a fixed screen be a major improvement over a motorised one?

2- Point taken. Looking online, i don’t unfortunately see many options for in-wall. Any suggestions ?

3- Lighting , esp with DIY components like Hue may not be a big cost but does help with aesthetics

4- Would 15 feet be enough for 2 rows, perhaps fixed seats (and not recliners) in the back row?

Last edited:
I have 15*12, and I dont think a second row is possible. I have added a couple of bean bags when there are more guests. Also, the room has wall to wall carpet which is really cosy to sit.

If you go for AT screen, you can hide the LCR behind the screen. Personally, I have blocked out the window so dont have the temptation to open it :)
Put an AC when the need arises. Plus, you could possibly go for a bigger screen,

If possible, keep the AV rack outside, like you mentioned in your other thread.

Dont know much about in-wall speakers. Although for atmos do plan for the same, those are easily available.

LCR you can actually plan tower speakers but place them behind the screen. Surrounds you can go for In-wall speakers which you can get for a reasonable price.Subs you can go for 12 or 15 inches from brands such as xtz,svs,rythmik depending on budget. Recently one of me friend set up a HT for his uncle in his newly constructed house and they went full in-wall speakers as it was set in the Hall. They used quadral in-wall speakers and they where priced fair. XTZ also has some slim speakers for surrounds which can be easily used in place of in-wall speakers

I see a website on googling called audiomaxx.in which is selling in-wall and wall mountable speakers from KEF and Polk

What's your location? Always a good idea to mention that to get local dealer references.

I went researching for in walls for my HT and was suggested OEM brand (yes, that's a brand name :) , oemsystems.com) by a good friend. A local dealer suggested Totem. There are also Polk, Taga, KEF in the Indian market.
Now, what I got to understand, in walls cannot be strictly used as in walls in India due to the solid wall construction.
They would be on the wall and you would need to build a cement sheet false wall of depth equal to that of the in wall speakers and fill the space with rockwool or similar. This need not be full height but few feet above and below the speakers. Of course, the depth of the speakers would be much less than regular on wall speakers. That would take care of some of the sound issues as well.

Check the net for comparisons between low priced 4k and 1080p projectors. If you have the budget, go for a proper 4k projector.

Last edited:
What's your location? Always a good idea to mention that to get local dealer references.

I went researching for in walls for my HT and was suggested OEM brand (yes, that's a brand name :) , oemsystems.com) by a good friend. A local dealer suggested Totem. There are also Polk, Taga, KEF in the Indian market.
Now, what I got to understand, in walls cannot be strictly used as in walls in India due to the solid wall construction.
They would be on the wall and you would need to build a cement sheet false wall of depth equal to that of the in wall speakers and fill the space with rockwool or similar. This need not be full height but few feet above and below the speakers. Of course, the depth of the speakers would be much less than regular on wall speakers. That would take care of some of the sound issues as well.

Check the net for comparisons between low priced 4k and 1080p projectors. If you have the budget, go for a proper 4k projector.
Location is Pune
Your point on in-wall is actually a very valid one and I didn't think of that.
The current layout has the screen side set on an external facing wall which is rather thick and in all likelihood load-bearing as well
Perhaps on-wall may be the way to go but will check with the civil work contractor

LCR you can actually plan tower speakers but place them behind the screen. Surrounds you can go for In-wall speakers which you can get for a reasonable price.Subs you can go for 12 or 15 inches from brands such as xtz,svs,rythmik depending on budget. Recently one of me friend set up a HT for his uncle in his newly constructed house and they went full in-wall speakers as it was set in the Hall. They used quadral in-wall speakers and they where priced fair. XTZ also has some slim speakers for surrounds which can be easily used in place of in-wall speakers
Let me look up quadral.
My guess would be that I wouldn’t need to go overboard with anything very high end with most of the speakers as this will be entirely for videos
I’d also guess that I should set aside a decent sum for the sub

Oh well, Covid happened and the redesign/ house extension plans are on hold for the foreseeable future.

Having said that, I do have a partially unused room that can be repurposed for the same job.
The primary constraint being it is also my study and does need to have a convertible sofa bed as backup room for family visits.

In addition, the room has a somewhat odd L shape with the long part of the L being around 15X11 and the short part around 7X5
Unfortunately the 15 foot dimension has a door on one side and a large window on the other so not possible to project length wise

Even on the breadth side, There is a 7' french door on one side and a 7' gap on the other leading into the short side of the L thus leaving a 8 foot section for the projection wall - Essentially a 110 inch screen size is the max I can aim for
(Attached image has a portable Optoma projector that should show the constraint)

Coming to the questions:

1) Is it even worth embarking on this now? Given the smaller screen size constraint + the fact that seating option is effectively limited to a sofa instead of proper seating

2) I do have an existing 7.1 setup in my living room so wondering if I can setup a simpler 2.1 audio setup for this room.. Basically a compromise where I use the living room when I want optimal audio but with a smaller TV vs this for larger screen but lesser audio

3) Most important, what projector should I look at? Sony VPL-HW45ES is one option that comes to my mind but I don't know much about projectors

IMG_0204.jpeg

Last edited:
bit the bullet - got a Sony VPL-HW45ES
First impressions on a table placed test- The PQ is seriously good in a dimly lit room!
Should be Saturday well spent tomorrow :)

Congratulations ,that's an excellent pj in 1080p category...
Thanks - Indeed I was more keen on better color rendition in 1080p than a basic 4K
While my eyes are good enough to see a significant difference between 720p and 1080p, i unfortunately can’t see a discernible jump between 1080p and 4k.. few scenes, yes but overall 4k (and 7.1 atmos) have been a bit of a letdown
And after paying a significant premium for 4k (and a bit for atmos) in my living room, I decided to go good 1080p and 5.1 for this setup

Mounted the projector today- was a fair bit of hard work and sweat but worth it!
I still do need to source either a good screen or obtain projection paint but i guess that will have to wait till the lockdown ends
For now i am using a wall which is unfortunately light green in color .. i tried using some spare flex sheet as workaround - it helps with the white balance but is way too reflective and causes weird sheen in bright scenes

PS: Same scene in 4k and 1080p for reference
2A36F054-0FB9-4A99-9CB8-B7A6F2D3ADB5.jpeg
04F8431F-D7BA-419C-B076-A6BA26092962.jpeg

Last edited:
Continuing on the progress
After aligning the SXRD panel and trying to make the most from the $hitty makeshift screen.

What’s good:
The PQ is excellent - as good as my samsung qled , if not better at night.. very good during the day with curtains drawn. The PJ is sufficiently bright to yield more than acceptable PQ during the day

Glad to report that the Reality creation algorithm used by Sony is far more than a gimmick - while it certainly is a post processing method, it makes a noticeable improvement on the perceived quality

What’s not
- (No) Thanks to the lockdown, there isn’t anything i can do about the screen for now ... the current makeshift arrangement with a flex sheet is a sham..A sample test with an existing tripod based proper screen yields far better results
The plan is to paint the wall with a projector paint once the lockdown is over - If anyone has suggestions or alternatives, please do suggest!

- The audio is a makeshift 2 channel setup albeit with good speakers and amplification. I have a matching center already but do need to get a subwoofer and surrounds. I do have a couple of spare components inckluding a ELAC sub and a really old Harman Kardon AVR with a great amp but no HDMI.
In two minds (make it three) over

a) Use the existing HK AVR via a HDMI - SPDIF extractor (have one lying unsused) at a fairly low cost - perhaps upgrade only the sub and get 2 basic surrounds like the JBL control one

b) Get a low cost AVR and a reasonable sub - an extra spend of around 100K - open to buying used but used AVRs are like unicorns in India

c) Move the primary AVR (Marantz 6010) and sub (Polk DSW Pro 500) to this setup and get upgrades for the primary setup

So continuing where this was left (and with the current sourcing constraints)
Going paint mode with the wall as a screen on the wall is an outright no from the home ministry.

Wiring, conduits etc are done, Primer coat is done
Surround speakers being repurposed- ATMOS JBL control one speakers from living room to move to the HT room
Replacements to be sourced once amazon etc are up
No 7.1 for this room - 7 speakers with towers will be overkill for a 15 foot room

The ancient Harman Kardon will do AVR duty for now- will swap the newer Marantz as a test to see if it yields noticeable benefits before ordering a new AVR
Old Elac sub as a makeshift till i can order a decent sub..

Totally agree with him. Motorized screen doesn't give you that cinema feel and will not look good in a home theatre room. A fixed screen -acoustically transparent (if planning to place speakers behind the screen) would be the best bet.

If you have a dedicated room, you must completely black out the room if you care about your video.
Consider your Projector as a Flashlight and the screen as a Giant reflector. Any light thrown at the screen will bounce back to the walls and in turn, get reflected back on the screen turning the contrast down and the result is a not so desirable image. You may like the image that way, but it can be done better.
There are several other reasons to black out the room, so if you have a dedicated space, that should be done. Top Priority.
Offcourse, WAF should be considered.
I have a dedicated room and i have full liberty on whatever im doing there.
I have seen several HT where people have gone to great lengths in blacking out the room and then put white or light colored recliners and carpet in there, defeating the purpose of a dark room.

Wiring, conduits etc are done, Primer coat is done
Surround speakers being repurposed- ATMOS JBL control one speakers from living room to move to the HT room
Please share pics of WIP for all of us! Its an essential part of the joys of building a home theater!

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back