The Singularities MLTL - Dayton PS220 8" Full Range - Build

bijinmb

Hi Folks,

Just thought of sharing the project "The Singularities" with Dayton PS220-8 Point source 8" Full ranger.

Its worth going through the author's page before getting into this.

URL: Speaker Design Works

A quick overview of the specifications:

Cabinet type: MLTL
Driver: Dayton PS220-8 8" Kevlar reinforced paper cone.
Watts: 40 RMS
Impedance: 8 Ohms
F3: 40 Hz
Sensitivity: 92 dB / 2.83v / 1 meter

A contour network and impedance normalization network is added to this driver to level the upper mid to high frequency range and also for constant impedance.

Snaps of the build down below:

Last edited:
what a clean job dear, congratulations. Im sure these are also sounding great, Can you upload a video.

Also please share the price breakup and source of these speakers as i also wish to go to that way..

cheers dear..

Hi Accord,

I haven't taken any video and that project is done for one of my friend.

Thanks,
Bijin

it certainly looks very beautiful especially the vinyl wrap around the speakers.

it would be nice to have a chance to hear them as well but distances being great ... a youtube would be nice -

regards

Awesome stuff. Iam sure they sound awesome. BTW, what does F3 mean? its rated at 40hz. Is that the beginning of the frequency range?

@ Bijin,

Good build quality and awesome looks.

Is it possible for you to post some measured response of the speaker system? I am sure almost 95% of the FMs would not be able to come down to Cochin for a listen. Atleast for some FMs we can make some analysis of the measured response. You can post impedance, phase, FR, impulse response, step response and Waterfall plots for the speaker system.

Since you are already selling measurement microphones etc it will be easy for you to post the measurements too without any additiional investments. Did you carry out any simulations before building? Can you also post the simulated response with the completed circuit board of the speaker system?

There are many freewares available in the net for doing the measurements like REW, speaker workshop, ARTIA etc. which you can choose. It would not take more than 30 min to complete all these measurements. Eagerly awaiting.

Awesome stuff. Iam sure they sound awesome. BTW, what does F3 mean? its rated at 40hz. Is that the beginning of the frequency range?

F3 is the point where response has dropped -3dB

@ Bijin,

Good build quality and awesome looks.

Is it possible for you to post some measured response of the speaker system? I am sure almost 95% of the FMs would not be able to come down to Cochin for a listen. Atleast for some FMs we can make some analysis of the measured response. You can post impedance, phase, FR, impulse response, step response and Waterfall plots for the speaker system.

Since you are already selling measurement microphones etc it will be easy for you to post the measurements too without any additiional investments. Did you carry out any simulations before building? Can you also post the simulated response with the completed circuit board of the speaker system?

There are many freewares available in the net for doing the measurements like REW, speaker workshop, ARTIA etc. which you can choose. It would not take more than 30 min to complete all these measurements. Eagerly awaiting.

Thanks Hari, BTW the speakers have left my station. I will be visiting there after sometime and at that time can take the measurement and post. Meantime let the drivers break-in and i will be revising the contour n/w with the new values. That is the area where it needs correction mainly as per my judgement.

Last edited:
Have you measured them? Looks great. From where you bought the drivers? and cost? Looking for the audio results. Great build.

F3 is the point where response has dropped -3dB

Thanks Hari, BTW the speakers have left my station. I will be visiting there after sometime and at that time can take the measurement and post. Meantime let the drivers break-in and i will be revising the contour n/w with the new values. That is the area where it needs correction mainly as per my judgement.
If you are going to tweak the contour network, i will suggest you to try Series method instead of parallel method. For me in the Fostex the Series sounds better than the parallel finally, though they don't measure or simulate great.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back