The very small "Sweet Spot"

shershah

Hi all,

the speakers that i have -

they have a very small "sweet spot" on the X-Y axis at listening position.

at that spot - everything falls into place, everything is holographic and 3D-

but, if i move my head 3.6 mm to one side, the magic is lost

i have to stand up for my head to be in the sweet spot (and the movement of the head in the vertical axis has about double the tolerance of the horizontal axis).

i have had made a seat that allows my head to be in the sweet spot -

but this is tiresome for me and my immediate family (and they have been recommending the services of the neighbourhood psychiatrist).

all the same, the "magic" is addictive, so i am found swaying like a stuck dervish at odd times during the day in front of the "system"

the question is -

is there a way out of this impasse?

is it a given that good loudspeakers will have a small "sweet spot" that must be suffered to experience the "magic"?

is there any person on this forum who has listened to the Focal Grand Utopias or the "big" Wilsons (which allow the "sweet spot" to be adjusted to the listener's head position)?

(sotto voce- "is my english good enough?")

TIA :)

Last edited:
I have the same problem, but the fostex FRs are known for it. Not the cabinet's fault, not my listening rooms fault, and never my fault. :)

shershah,
Usual options are in pulling the speakers Wider apart and playing around with the Toe ins, I am assuming that you would have tried most regular toe in options...is there anyway you can share your current room size and current setup ?

Although what i am proposing is theoretical without knowing how your current setup,one option is to try a Cross Toe in . ie let the right speaker point to around 1 feet away from your left ear and the left speaker towards the right ear.

to imagine it..if you draw an imaginary line from each of the the tweeter, perpendicular to the speaker plane they would form an X with the center some feet ahead of your eyes. (traditional toe in would have the center Behind your ears)

let us know...this is usually the fun part of the hobby !

It is not only the speakers,but source & amp also is involved.Many may agree that if you caompare AVR & Stereo amp with same speakers,stereo amp will sound better with good soundstage.Even adding a good DAC can improve it further.

It is not only the speakers,but source & amp also is involved.Many may agree that if you caompare AVR & Stereo amp with same speakers,stereo amp will sound better with good soundstage.Even adding a good DAC can improve it further.
Spiro, You forget one important, influential participant in the whole exercise, The Room!

Why not all agree :p, our ears has only very small sweet spot with reference to x/y/z? axis with reference and according to doomsday theory:eek:hyeah:

i dont think its the room, amp, source. its just that he might be using some particular full range speakers that has this issue. quite a few full rangers have this problem, specially the smaller ones.

Nice Thread Shereshahbhai, Thanks.

but, if i move my head 3.6 mm to one side, the magic is lost
Good observation. But some have measured loss in magic at as small distance as 1.2 mm with a haircut.
but this is tiresome for me and my immediate family (and they have been recommending the services of the neighbourhood psychiatrist).
This is a problem with me too and all enthusiastic audio enthusiasts. A very dear friend is under counseling of Dr. Henry Angus Bowes
Music: Audiophilia - TIME

is there a way out of this impasse?
Yes see link below...
Smart HD Speakers Bring the Sweet Spot to You, Wherever You Are | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

is it a given that good loudspeakers will have a small "sweet spot" that must be suffered to experience the "magic"?
No, if you can incorporate "Sweet spot" technology in stereo speakers.

(sotto voce- "is my english good enough?")
Yes.

Warmest Regards
Hiten

Nice Thread Shereshahbhai, Thanks.

Good observation. But some have measured loss in magic at as small distance as 1.2 mm with a haircut.

This is a problem with me too and all enthusiastic audio enthusiasts. A very dear friend is under counseling of Dr. Henry Angus Bowes
Music: Audiophilia - TIME

Yes see link below...
Smart HD Speakers Bring the Sweet Spot to You, Wherever You Are | Gadget Lab | Wired.com

No, if you can incorporate "Sweet spot" technology in stereo speakers.

Yes.

Warmest Regards
Hiten

Hi Hiten,

a thousand thanks for the links-

the article in TIME made for good reading!

and the good doctor seemed to be talking about me!

regds shershah

Last edited:
i dont think its the room, amp, source. its just that he might be using some particular full range speakers that has this issue. quite a few full rangers have this problem, specially the smaller ones.

hi doors666-

my speakers are DIY 2-way, and these speakers display this particular characteristic in different rooms in the house.

i have tried everything (toe-in, toe-out, listening position far, listening position near, standing up, sitting on chair, lying on floor.)

there is only one position where the matrix of sound suddenly becomes "real"

in other positions the "sweet spot" becomes larger (moving towards and away from the speaker plane) but the "magic" is lost.

sound the worst when sitting on the floor.

regds
shershah

and the good doctor seemed to be talking about me!
regds
I don't think so Sir. Did you check the date of the article. :eek: ...

...An audio enthusiast (Francis the fulrange fanatic) killed the doctor, when he told him he needs a subwoofer for good low frequency extension.
Regards

i have tried everything (toe-in, toe-out, listening position far, listening position near, standing up, sitting on chair, lying on floor.)

I don't think he meant you try that with your toes. but never mind ...atleast you have exhausted some options and moved on ... :)

there is only one position where the matrix of sound suddenly becomes "real"

in other positions the "sweet spot" becomes larger (moving towards and away from the speaker plane) but the "magic" is lost.

sound the worst when sitting on the floor.

regds
shershah

Me thinks you have enough material to publish the mysteries of this hobby in a new book for the vicarious consumption of others. Perhaps "The Joy of Audiophilia" would make a good title? ;)

Cheers

what design is this. what woofer, tweeter, crossover. cabinet size, roomsize. genre you are listening to. amp, source etc. its difficult to find a solution with very less nformation supplied on the setup.

if you have an htpc, you can try to put an LPF and try to rolloff the high frequencies. usually high frequencies are responsible for this behaviour. if this confirms that the tweeter is responsible, you can look for a replacement, or decide to live with the shortcomings. maybe you can modify the crossover to take care of this problem.

what design is this. what woofer, tweeter, crossover. cabinet size, roomsize. genre you are listening to. amp, source etc. its difficult to find a solution with very less nformation supplied on the setup.

if you have an htpc, you can try to put an LPF and try to rolloff the high frequencies. usually high frequencies are responsible for this behaviour. if this confirms that the tweeter is responsible, you can look for a replacement, or decide to live with the shortcomings. maybe you can modify the crossover to take care of this problem.

Why should only HF be responsible for this behavior? When mids constitute the bulk of frequencies?

As for speaker design, me thinks they are a somewhat exotic model called the Bitches of Xtacy :) They are not only known to seduce with sweet nothings whispered in ones ears, they are known to possess an extremely "tight" sweetspot. ;) :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Suri, i know what will fix this!

get yourself some good ole rum, a bunch of punk rock cd's their accompanying lyrics, and then bro - sing, nay SHOUT it out!

the system will clear itself of all thy maladies!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back