Those who have bought the LG C8, I need a small favor.

srinivas1015

Could you tell me your firmware version that was present Out Of The Box? (Before updating?)

I ask because versions 03.00.63 and onwards have a luminance fluctuation bug with laggy ABL, especially with HDR content.

Looks like everyone’s getting 03.00.93 out of the box. I was really hoping for 03.00.62, so as to avoid the luminance fluctuation bug. The LG has laggy ABL while the Sony has very aggressive ASBL with static elements on screen. It’s getting really difficult to choose between them.

Its not really a big issue unless you are looking for it. LG know about it and will probably fix it soon.

Its not really a big issue unless you are looking for it. LG know about it and will probably fix it soon.

I’m getting an OLED only to study lighting techniques in film, so there’s a high chance I’m gonna notice it all the time :p

LG does know about it but if they can’t or don’t fix it, it would be really frustrating. I’m wondering which is the lesser of the two evils: the laggy ABL on the LG or the aggressive ASBL on Sony TVs. At this point, it’s become a movies vs games thing, where the LG is better for games while the Sony is better for movies (in terms of ABL).

I think if you are into film mastering/remastering. You should go with Panasonic 2018 oleds. Accurate colours and hues. They won 2018 shootout for being very close to reference broadcast monitors.

No. Whereas the one in US was sponsered by Sony, where AF9 was declared as king of TVs. Also phillips has its own sponsered shootouts.

I’m getting an OLED only to study lighting techniques in film, so there’s a high chance I’m gonna notice it all the time :p

LG does know about it but if they can’t or don’t fix it, it would be really frustrating. I’m wondering which is the lesser of the two evils: the laggy ABL on the LG or the aggressive ASBL on Sony TVs. At this point, it’s become a movies vs games thing, where the LG is better for games while the Sony is better for movies (in terms of ABL).

What you probably require for color accurate work is a monitor that supports the DCI-P3 gamut. Something like those listed here:

https://wolfcrow.com/blog/fun-comparison-which-is-the-best-4k-monitor-for-color-grading/

Consumer TVs won't cut in for this kind of work.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back