Three days of speaker and systems audition in Mumbai (Part 1)

arhantd

Three days of speaker and systems audition in Mumbai (Part 1)

I am doing a write up about the larger than life experience I have had in the past three days in Mumbai.
I have been lucky to meet a lot of nice people and make good friends and learn a great deal from them.
I have also been lucky to experience a lot of different speakers and systems in a small amount of time.
Due to time constraints i was not able to cover everything and meet everyone i intended to meet. But there will be a next time very shortly.
Opinions expressed are my own and not intended to offend anyone in any manner.

I was to go to Mumbai for some work reason and after consultation with FM Denom i decided to add an extra day and give all the spare time around my work to auditioning.
Denom is a great guy, very accommodating and helpful. Moreover very passionate about music and Hi-Fi, so through him I got in touch with FM Prem, FM Ozzstriker (Ozzie),
Khusroo Jilla, Satayki (Sereneta Audio), Fairdeal Audio(Amphion), Prashant (The Den - PMC), Sushil Anand and of course Viren ji of Lyrita.
I had spoken to most FMs before hand and asked them if it was alright to drop in, and all of them were very accommodating.

FM Ozzstriker- PMC with Bryston electronics
I landed in Mumbai at 10:30 in the morning and straight away called up Ozzie who despite being quite busy just asked me to come over.
I went to his place met his wonderful family and his wonderful system as well. Denom has covered the system in a previous post so won't go in the details,
its a PMC OB1i setup with all Bryston electronics and the synergy between the two is to die for. The Big PMC are wonderfully balanced and handle everything with aplomb,
the associated Bryston gear is delightful. Overall the system is quite revealing yet balanced.
Its amazing with good recordings and high quality stuff but if the quality of the files do not match up to the system it lets you know that very quickly.
And ofcourse the bass in all PMC's is distinctive, transmission line, but in the OB1i because of the size and no. of drivers, bass has got much more body then say in PMC twenty.23.
That is how it felt to my untrained ears.
So overall, i call it the "Savvy and Uptown setup" for someone who loves music across genres and has a good collection of cds - rock, bollywood, jazz and all!
It was a delight to be with Ozzie and he's clearly quite into music and really enjoys the setup daily. In a few words Balanced and Accurate sounding with good Body!
My big thanks to Ozzie and his lovely family for having me over, being such good hosts and letting me be a part.

FM Prem - Rethm Saddhana

Next on, after spending almost an hour and a half with Ozzie, i called FM Prem (or Prem Sir, as i would like to call him) and immediately he asked me to drop in.
He lived close by so Ozzie kindlyly offered dropped me to his place. I had thought it would be a bit formal as Prem sir is a senior audiophile (Not by age but by experience)
and probably has one of the most evolved and carefully optimized setup's in town. But i was wrong, he is an amazing host who makes you feel comfortable, informal.
He treats you really well and also educates you greatly about his system and what one needs to do to achieve musical bliss with their own system.
His setup comprises of a TT, Heavily customised Lyrita tube amp and Volume Control and Rethm Saadhana speakers. I was really interested to listen to the Saadhanas, mainly
because they are Indian made and also because they are very highly rated by some serious audiophiles.
In one word I was blown away by the setup, if only i could replicate the exact sound in my house, it would end a journey that i have not yet begun.

I spent more than two hours with Prem Sir, i think i took half of his Sunday away but boy what a gala time i had.
He played a variety of music for me, as I like bollywood (old and new), rock and gazals, he played a full variety from his extensive record collection.
For information, Rethm is a hybrid of a highest-quality Full range driver augmented by powered Bass module.
But the sheer texture, presence and natural-ness of Prem sir's system is uncanny and unsettling. The amount of times i felt that the artist was in the room it is not funny,
Lata ji, Jagjit Singh and Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan all sounded so so natural that i really could not believe myself or control my grin.
I truly have never heard such rich, and natural sound from a speaker setup before. I totally fell in love with it.
The Rethms are, TO ME, the best speakers in their price range without doubt, especially if you are into vocal music, but they really really need to be painstakingly setup.
I cannot stress enough on the subject as i was myself educated on it by Prem sir and Denom later that Rethm's are wonderful but they are for the "Highest Evolved Listener" to use.
But once setup properly they can be very satisfying and really addictive and injurious to health. :) One word - Amazing!
I will not go in details of Prem Sir's extensive measures to bring out the best from the Rethms, but truly it is a lot of hardwork and experience that makes the Rethms sound like they do.
I would really like to thank Prem Sir for exposing me to such great sound, for the lovely lunch and for really bearing with an untrained person like me and educating me.

Satyaki -Sereneta Audio meet
Time flew and it was already 3:30 pm, i rushed to leave for Satyaki's place which was a little far. While in the cab I was wondering if anything could sound better to me than the Rethm setup.
At Satyaki's place i met up with Denom, Viren Sir, Sushil Anand and Satyaki ofcourse. The setup and some pictures of it were recently posted in the thread " An evening with Viren Part 2".
Satayaki had setup his Violoncellos with a Lyrita Pre/Power combo and a prototype Phono Stage.
The amps had been modified by Viren sir further as part of ongoing experiment and collaboration with Serenata Audio.

In this session i was the kid on the block completely, Sushil ji is a long time dealer with decades of experience, Viren Sir we all know -
and Denom also has considerable experience and exposure to different setups and he understands audio and the systems very well.
Yet i was there and had been given the opportunity to be part of the evaluation of a master creation by Satyaki.
During the long session i realised that the single range Fostex driver can really reproduce vocals and instruments like no other, having a crossover less design really renders the music in a very pure form.
Ofcourse there are tradeoffs with the SPls and limits to how low the speaker can go. But the vocals and instrumental music sounds blissful.
It sounds very different sound from what we are usually used to listening. I really urge people who have not heard single driver speakers to give them a try just for exposure sake, they will be pleasantly surprised.
Despite a few room and placement issues the speaker was performing its duties well. And i was given a chance to sit in the hot seat more than the others and i really had a blast.
Satyaki is doing this more for his passion for music rather than as a business and his wonderful family is there to support him. These speakers are what i would call the " PURIST".
They are ideal for people in the middle of their audio journey who have reached a stage where they lean towards listening pure master recordings or soulful vocal music.

The air and conversation in the room between the more learned men was about such recordings and how well recorded music really sounds like,
which mic its was recorded on and what year and where it was pressed and by which recording engineer.
It was a real learning experience for me because i had never thought of these things and what difference it makes to the overall sound.
Being in the same session as these people really exposed me to some exotic stuff.
These speakers then are exotic, a work of art and really meant for purists and they really do their designated job very well.
And honestly, they are not really for people who like dhin-chak commercial music recorded on multi-tracks and mixed together. They serve a higher purpose!

Thanks Satyaki for having me over, for being open to my opinions (however immature) and for devoting your time to create these beauties. I wish you all the success from my heart!

That finished my day one and with it finished my home visits. Sincere thanks to everyone for making it so memorable.

Next up in part two are dealer visits.
As and when I got time from work over the next two days i visited AudioVision India (B&W, GoldenEar), Lakozy (PSB & NAD), Fairdeal Audio(Amphion) and The Den(PMC).
More on that in the next part. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Even though your fairly new into the HiFi terrain, you write-up was structured well and easy to follow by any user. Written from the heart :)

--
helium= HTPC Asus Xonar ST + Sansui Au-317 + Luxman M-06a + Magnepan For sale: Polk Audio LSi9/ Vintage B&W Dm4/ Cdp-CA 640c V2

In one word I was blown away by the setup, if only i could replicate the exact sound in my house, it would end a journey that i have not yet begun.

Super Arhant !
Great to learn;
You had a nice visit to Mumbai & got a chance to listen to some of the top set ups.
Excellent.
This is the right thing to do.
Visit - Listen & then decide what suits your need / taste.
All the Best !
I do hope you find what you are looking for & that your system in Rajasthan is set up soon & plays well...

p.s. Some Pics - even from a Mobile - would have been nice..

Hi Arhant

It was a pleasure having you over. Glad i could be of help. Welcome to this never ending journey.

Just a small correction. There is no separate phono stage in my set up. Its built into the EMT. The small box was the vol control.

Great write-up Arhant! Looking forward to the next installment.

@Prem
Would like to hear from you if you had compared the Gaanam with the Lyrita and, if so, why did you choose Lyrita over Gaanam.
Maybe you can also give some insights on your efforts to bring out the best from the Saadhanas.
Thanks

Thank you everyone for appreciating. It was a lot of fun to listen to such different systems.

@Helium - Thanks for the encouragement. I cant really describe sound in technical terms yet so i just write my experience as a whole. :)

@Bhagwan - Thanks for appreciating, Sorry could not meet you this time but i am coming back really soon, now that i have an slight idea of all these speakers, it will be a pleasure to discuss them with you.
I completely concur that the only way is to listen to different setups and find what you like, as they all have their own signatures.

@Prem sir. Thanks so much for everything. I am sorry about the mix up with the Volume Control. I should really take notes.

More than anything else, all the people i met were really nice and helpful. Its a pleasure to make such
friends.

FM Prem - Rethm Saddhana

I will not go in details of Prem Sir's extensive measures to bring out the best from the Rethms, but truly it is a lot of hardwork and experience that makes the Rethms sound like they do.
I would really like to thank Prem Sir for exposing me to such great sound, for the lovely lunch and for really bearing with an untrained person like me and educating me.

Your approach to building your system is the right approach ie listen to different setups and get a feel for what good sound is really about..you yourself would not have realized as to what you have learned from it :)

I have only heard Prems system above and to anyone it is prime example of building and setting up a system to sound good and not just as a collection of good components
Each component has been well thought off in terms of an overall system including the cables/power supply/Acoustics/isolation - they all synergise well to the sound he wants to hear...they all follow a philosophy

Another system you should hear is Bhagwans-it is setup the way he likes to hear music and to get acoustics right in his room is an art in itself and there the room almost seems to disappear...not just the speaker !. Of course each component itself is a Jaw dropper in terms of the brand itself and what it does a system, including the power supply

Another system you should hear is Bhagwans-it is setup the way he likes to hear music and to get acoustics right in his room is an art in itself and there the room almost seems to disappear...not just the speaker !. Of course each component itself is a Jaw dropper in terms of the brand itself and what it does a system, including the power supply

@ ARJ - Thanks;
I appreciate the kind words.

However, my audio set up is 'watered' down - now.

The dCS Scarlatti is no more @ home. Left in 2012;
I use a Studio DAC - DAD AX/24 [Digital Audio Denamrk]
My Pre is from Korea - Allnic Audio

Allnic L-3000 Preamplifier Review | A Unique Audiophile Experience

The Power Amps are Indian - made in Pune - CC
All power products are removed - no Pure Power - I run with no power conditioning - it sounds better / cleaner & faster to my ears without anything.
I just have clean power lines from the Utility Supplier & DIY Distribution Box etc.
The Room is 100 % Stock - no Treatment - no Diffuser / Absorber etc. It is as normal / simple as simple can get.

All said - Audio / Music lovers are welcome @ home - most of the time in the evening post 1800 I am home - if not travelling & we can listen to music.

BTW - the Front end is DIY - Computer - 2 machine with J PLay 5.2

The Room is 100 % Stock - no Treatment - no Diffuser / Absorber etc. It is as normal / simple as simple can get.

Does that mean a sufficiently high end setup can overcome room imperfections?
That said, have you actually tried treatment and found it not sufficiently effective or have you not tried it at all?

All said - Audio / Music lovers are welcome @ home - most of the time in the evening post 1800 I am home - if not travelling & we can listen to music.

Mecca for music lovers?

You have not mentioned your speakers.

^^^
becausae thats the only thing that has remained unchanged for some years now
the tidal Ameas

he was the first to commison and buy them from Tidal

about the room

lets put it this way bhagwan has made the best of his room without making it into a studio
the speakers are carefully placed so they play upto thier potential in that particular room

and ys you can do wonders by only placement ( without the need of diffusers, absorbers and the sort)
instead of fighting the room - getting the room to work in your favour and accepting what can and cannot play in that room is the tricky bit
it would take a mature listener to do this right

Last edited:
Part 2

AudioVision India (B&W 683, GoldenEar Aon 3)

Next morning since I had work at Nariman point, I headed town side. I headed to AVI first right when they just opened.
The lobby is modest and one takes a elevator up to the office/demo rooms. Once you reach up there you immediately realize two things -
a) They are heavily invested in the business, demo rooms and all the glamour, they probably have the best setup in Mumbai and
b) They are heavily staffed with professionals but more sales-man like. It feels like a luxury showroom.

I had called in before and specified interest in speakers around the 2 L price range, so as to not waste their time as well as mine on things I could not buy.
After waiting around a bit in the office for the person who would give me a demo, I was led to a demo room right at the end of the floor.
I think I crossed at least 5 other demo rooms but all were shut so dont know what was behind the doors.
There was a person setting up the demo with B&W 683 and 684 and there was another person (Mr. Kotwal) who seemed to be the manager in charge.
He was not to keen to chit chat or get to know my preferences, he simply stood there until i gave a reference of one of their high end clients, after which things moved at a steady pace.
I can't say i was not treated right, everything was fine but in a professional and very formal manner, I could not get comfortable and enjoy the music.
Back of the mind I kept feeling, I am wasting their time and I need to leave soon.

Anyways, coming to the B&W setup. We played the 683s to begin with and they were paired with a Jeff Rowland amp and a PS Audio CDP.
The sound coming out was fairly nice I thought from a speaker of around 1.6 L(I think), it was well rounded did not over emphasize on any particular range, over all nice
presentation but not exciting. Then i realised that the electronics were too expensive for the speaker so i requested them to remove the Jeff Rowland amp and
instead they attached a Rotel RA -12. That made the presentation ever so slightly forward and thinner but still very nice.
Next up they brought in the Golden Ear Aon 3 (1.1 L !!!) speakers and wired them in.
The sound not surprisingly was better than the 683s. It was fuller, more neutral and boy they can go low! The bass was punchy and had good weight to it.
Overall a good stand-mount choice for people who like neutral sound. After thanking them for the demo I left from there.

Two observations
1. At some point I might be interested in buying the Aons for my desktop but i dont think i will feel too comfortable or happy buying from AVI.
2. Though i did not negotiate, the retail prices seem too high to me.

Fairdeal Electronics (Amphion) - Take 1
Moving on, i headed for lunch and sometime around then i spoke to Denom who was at work but pointed me in the direction of Imran at Fairdeal Electronics at Crawford market,
who have got the much talked about Amphions from Finland. After lunch i made it to Crawford and located Fairdeal with a small front in the Ashoka Shopping Centre.
It was full of TVs and other home appliances. I was a little confused but anyways i asked a sales person about Amphions and Imran, straight away he led me down two floors of more home appliances towards the back.
Out of one door, across the alley you see two home theater demo rooms and a small office. Now i felt i was at the right place, i met Imran, gave him a little background
and he led me to the demo room which had the Amphions (410 and 520) setup with a modest Marrantz 6004 and CDP.

After some chit chat i was made comfortable on the sofa and we began listening to the big 520s (2.5L).
They are impeccably made, handmade, amazing finish and a beautiful white color. I am sorry for not taking pictures, but they really are beautiful.
The sound was a slightly different story - Stereo Imagining- unbelievable, Vocals -slightly heavy but musical but the Bass was all over the place - booming.
I thought maybe because the speakers were not yet broken in so, but i was not convinced, i wanted to be but i was not.

We moved on to the 410s (83K) then, what a revelation and respite. The sound was coherent, musical and downright fun and well textured.
The bass though limited had good body and was tight. I really could not believe that a speaker with that small a size could do all this so well, i was happy about being there now.
This is when the speakers have not yet broken-in, imagine 100 odd hours later!

Everything Denom and others have said is right about the 410s, it has to be heard. I played a particular Tiesto mix (Pair of Dice) and i thought it would rattle the 410s because it's a fast mix with heavy bass,
but the 410s held their own amazingly well. I think these are another winner in the desktop category specially because they play very well at low volumes and close to the rear walls as well.

Imran informed me that for forum members there is a discount, 520s can be had for 2L and 410s for 65k. IMHO 65k!, its a no brainer for someone looking for bookshelves in that range.
I have to add that at Fairdeal i played my own cd's full of commercial songs which were not of great quality but hey, that is what i listen to so i have to audition with it.
Also i must mention that i was very comfortable auditioning at Fairdeal, i had thought since they are into all electrical appliances, they might not care much about audio but it was a very nice experience.
I was left to my own devices for a good hour or so to listen to my cd's and relax. Afternoon well spent.

Lakozy ( PSB and NAD)

Next i went to Lakozy. I had called in and given the same brief, floorstander for around 2L mark, i had specially asked for Imagine T2 and Revel F206.
When i got there the Imagines had already been setup with all NAD electronics.
The NAD 275 power amp being the only modest one, other electronics were all from the NAD Master series.
I was greeted by Sanjay Thakur (Showroom Manager) and we sat down to talk.
He asked me a lot of questions about why i want to setup a hi-fi system, the kind of music i like and the space i have and so on and so forth.
He seemed like someone who takes interest in the client and also likes to work out a solution tailored for their preferences.
I thought he was a nice guy who likes to take his time to know the client. He started playing from his ipad.
The chain had the NAD Music Server (3.5L), the NAD M51 DAC (1.25L), the NAD 275 (1 L) and the Imagine T2 (~2L).

I found the sound out of the T2s to be a little forward for my taste, not bright but forward like in your face.
The music was coherent and absolutely clear. The separation of instruments was really nice and the soundstage was decent but the depth was lacking for me.
The bass was full and nice but overall the biggest issue was the forward presentation.
The problem with this forward presentation is that after say 30 minutes of listening i wanted to get up and go.
I dont know how much the electronics were responsible for it but it wasnt something i could live with in the long term.

I asked him about some other options he said well, Revel F206 were above 3! I dint get that, the US retail is $3500...they surely should not be over 3L!
So well there was nothing else that he had around the price point. Lower price range options included PSB Image T6 (85k) and Revel F12 (1.15L) but they were not setup.
Only other option that he really recommended was the now discontinued PSB Synchrony One (2.25L).
So after listening once more to the T2s and confirming what I felt initially, I left .
On hindsight i feel i should have insisted on a demo of the Image T6 just to compare how well it stacks up with the T2.
I doubt the difference of over 1L can be justified by the T2. Maybe some other time.

The Den India (PMC)

Next morning, I again had a chat with Denom and we fixed a time to meet in the evening for a beer (~few beers).
Meanwhile while he was working, i had no work till the afternoon so i asked Denom to patch me through to Prashant (Den India) for a audition of the PMC twenty.23 (3.25L).
It was unfortunate that KJ was not in town otherwise it would have been a pleasure to meet him again and discuss things with him.
I reached the Den again right when they had just opened. Denom and KJ had spoken and Prashant had already setup the Twenty.23.
I went in, settled on the couch and spent the next hour just listening to the 23s.

I put both my CDs through their paces playing everything from Hotel California to Jagjit Singh to Aashiqui 2 and Tiesto not once did these speakers struggle.
They just played everything with an eerie balance. They remained composed through every song. Very Very likable.
Prashant himself has been involved with audio for a long time and listens to a wide variety of music so both of just sat there talking and the music played for a while in the background.
One thing i noticed was that even with the speakers set at high volumes we could still talk to each other normally, not once did we have to exert.
I dont know how the PMCs did that but that is how balanced and composed they are.

At lower volumes also the PMC played well and provided a clear insight to the music.
I really like what i heard, a kind of speaker anyone could could live with for a long time no matter what their tastes.
Its a speaker one can listen to all day without once feeling any fatigue. Its as if after a while you dont notice that the speakers are playing, the music is jus there in the air.

Though some might say its not exciting but if you are the kind of person who comes back from work pours a drink and
just likes to sit and listen to music for 2 hours and unwind, its the perfect speaker for you.

The only thing i could not quite get a hold of was the Bass, being Transmission Line speakers the Bass is very unique.
They go very low and reproduce a tight clean sound but the whiff of air is missing. There is no overhang, the kick is very subtle but its there.
I could not quite decide whether i liked that or not. I think it takes time to get used to this kind of Bass because most of us have always been used to a thump of air.
Its something i still havent been able to decide on whether or not i like the bass. Maybe i need another audition.
After listening to everything i wanted to on my CDs, i left The Den very satisfied and thinking to myself that my auditions for the trip are over and
the PMC clearly are top of the heap. I thought i shall meet Denom soon to compare notes.

Meeting Denom and Amphion 520s - Take 2

The afternoon went in finishing some work and afterwards i headed to Mondes (Mondegar, Colaba).
I was eagerly waiting for Denom, i reached a little before time so i settled down with a glass of beer and thought about all that i had heard in the last 3 days.
So many different setups, each having an individual sound, so much i had learned.
"Audition" then i realised is the only and only way to get an idea of what you like. Every speaker is different, though we use the same adjectives to define them in reality they are all very different.

When Denom got there we had even more beer, some snacks and just discussed a whole lot about our lives, audio, the business of audio, the people in audio and generally the hobby of Hi-fi and how fulfilling it is.
Overall we were having a blast, and amongst all this discussion there was a talk about the Amphions.
Then i told Denom that the 410s were exactly what you say they would be and more but the 520s although similar in signature were booming.
And both of us felt that should not be the case, and suddenly we decided to finish our food and head to Fairdeal once more to listen to the 520s again.
Only difference this time Denom would tweak the setup.

We got there, walked through some back alley avoiding all the home appliances section and got straight to the room where the Amphions were, like men on a mission.
Denom knew everyone so quickly he got in and about tweaking the setup. He moved the 520s away from the side walls i think, toed them in a bit and made some more minor adjustments and we began the audition.
What a difference from the word go, Voodoo, i dont know if it was the beer effect or something else. I could not believe it, the boom was gone, the sound staging had improved quite a bit more.
The speaker which was nothing great initially became a total fun machine. We spent an hour or so listening to my cd's and everything we heard was amazing.
I kept asking Denom if he was listening the same as me because i was afraid the beer had done me in but even he concurred that everything was sounding very nice and natural to him.
All the instruments were playing just as they do when heard live.

The bass was not as low as the PMCs but it had the body and the slight overhang.
The vocals and separation of the instruments though not as precise and clear as the PMC but had much more texture.
Everything sounded tremendously natural with a sound stage to die for. If the Marrantz 6004 could do this i wonder how it would play with a better amp and when fully broken in.
If then the Bass gets a little tighter and the mids and vocals a little more open, i think this will be an act very tough to beat. I dont know, is that what usually happens when a speaker is completely broken in?

In the End
So, just when i had thought my auditions were over and all opinions formed, it just got turned around.
I had thought the PMCs clear winner for a long term setup, i still think they are but if you are a looking for a speaker that provides fun and excitement every time you listen to a track, then this Amphion Helium 520 is the speaker for you.

It all boils down to personal taste, for perspective, if you like Trasmission line Bass then nothing can beat the PMC, if you like the usual Bass with a thump then Amphions are amazing if not the best.
If you like neutral and balanced then PMC, if fun and natural is what you like then Amphion.
In the PMC ofcourse for the 75K more you get more resolution but that again is personal, because Amphion will work well with modest electronics because it is slightly forgiving.
And one look at the Amphion website and you will realize that is exactly how they designed it.

Then after having a most fun filled evening my trip came to an end. A very memorable trip which i would soon like to repeat.
It will be very very interesting to put the PMCs and Amphions through an AB audition with some keen FMs present.
I hope Denom and KJ hear me as they need to organize it. I would surely take another trip down for such an event. :)

I cannot stress enough on the need to audition a variety of setups,
in a short span i learned i cannot tolerate bright, i get uneasy with forward presentation, i really like natural live sound with a bit of texture and the list of learnings goes on.
Most importantly i learned that setting up an exceptional system requires a lot of learning and experience, it cannot be done so on day one.
Your system grows with you, as you mature so does the system.
I dont know where i fit in right now but i do know there is still a long and fun filled way to go. :)

I would like to thank everyone for having me over. For educating me and letting me experience these wonderful setups. I have made new friends that i shall keep in touch with.
Sincere thanks to the hospitality of all the FMs and also dealers. Thanks Denom through whom i met all these wonderful people and also for helping me audition great stuff.

I regret not being able to make it to Bhagwan's place and also to Sushil ji's showroom (Triangle, Quadral & Clear Audio).
I will be back very soon to correct this and cover and learn more.

Thanks everyone for reading and I apologize if i hurt anyone in anyway, it was never intentional.

Cheers! :eek:hyeah:

Last edited:
Fantastic! Oh-so-tough to listen to so much and keep the impressions in your mind.

Funny how this name, Amphion, keeps jumping out at me. Universe trying to tell me something? :D

Your passion is very addictive! Been living in Mumbai just about a year and only managed to meet very few people who share this hobby and you sir, did fantastic in three days!!
And your detailed description of various systems is throughly enjoyable & knowledgable read. Thank You.

good visit to Mumbai...

thats the way to go..

wilkommen to HFV and to Amphion sound.

good luck with your choices..

mpw

I regret not being able to make it to Bhagwan's place and also to Sushil ji's showroom (Triangle, Quadral & Clear Audio).

Most Welcome;

I cannot stress enough on the need to audition a variety of setups,

Yes;
This is what I have maintained all the time.
Listen & know what you like.

I never understood why people pm me & ask about how a product sounds ? What I like & what they like - can never be the same.

It all boils down to personal taste, for perspective, if you like Trasmission line Bass then nothing can beat the PMC, if you like the usual Bass with a thump then Amphions are amazing if not the best.
If you like neutral and balanced then PMC, if fun and natural is what you like then Amphion.

Interesting Observations;

You may have wanted to go to :-

Designer Audio - Quad
Audio Excellence - Legacy / Deftech
Pandam - Genelec
Jacob - Nola
Linn
Kei - Paradigm
PTC - Focal
etc
etc

There are so many more D & D's in Mumbai & so many of them have demo rooms & audio set ups.

Not Withstanding - I just hope you use for Demo :-

Your Music is on CD & is in 16/44.1 - Wave - NO CDR's & No MP3's

Taken a Few Pics - so that I could associate the Faces with the FM Handles & Real Names.;;

Great Report - none the less.
All the Best !

p.s. You sit in the Haridwar / Kashi / Mathura of Audio in your city - Jaipur
So luckily you get a chance to listen to the 'best' in India as and when you want - so lucky you are.....:licklips:

Nice, informative and emotional report and what a great ride it has been for you. :clapping: Way to go!

I regret not being able to make it to Bhagwan's place

Actually, you are most welcome to listen to music @ my house, but I am more interested in making you listen to my Office Set up.
That is sound that is 'contoured' for Psy / Goa / House etc.
Not on my Tannoy Ellipse 8 but on the KRK Expose 8.
This is a super speaker for the kind of music you listen to - at least that is my opinion.
KRK Expos E8B Studio Monitors Announced | DV247
Just ensure that your software is in Wave & not in MP3 [that is all I request you] !

PMC AML2 Active Monitors (Page 1) - Audio-visual - AVI HiFi Forum

Enjoy your journey - there is lots to see & explore.

Just keep an OPEN mind & decide on a product that is based on what your mind tells you & not what reviews or people say.
Listen intently & decide on what ever 'floats your boat' !

:cool:

what a great ride it has been for you. :clapping: Way to go!

That is how it should be for all;
What stops other audiophiles to write a few mails - make a few calls & do to different showrooms & listen to music ?

If a young person from Jaipur could do it - I am sure any / all from Mumbai & other parts of India could do it too...

There are super D & D's in different cities too;

Bangalore has a Few - Esoteric / Harbeth etc. etc. BMC / Bloomenhaufer / Einstein etc. etc. Prism / Usher / Ayon etc. etc.
Goldmund / Meridian / Zingali / Avant Garde etc. etc.

Surat has its share - Kronzila / Bel Canto / Transparent / MSB etc. etc.

New Delhi has its share - this list is very very long - I am sure all know or can google it.

One just needs to put their mind to it & spare the time & go.
Listen & then they can form their own opinion.

There is nothing more I emphasize on that to listen & form ones own opinion...

Discuss Audio only after you have heard it.
Never be an arm chair forum member and one that has not heard & discusses other peoples opinions [from other different forums] !

There is so much audio in India.
Every city has many audio set ups.
Some are really good.
Just make an effort & visit those houses - listen & then form an opinion.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back