To Bangalore FMs: Do you have a REL sub integrated into your 2-Ch or HT system?

raghupb

I may be on the hunt to change the existing sub in my rig.
Recently, a few FMs posted in another thread that REL subs are good for 2-ch integration.
If so, they should be decent enough for HT usage too.
Pinging Bangalore FMs to check if they have REL sub/s in their setup.
If yes, would it be possible to hear them out in a home setting.
If no, what has been your experience when you previously owned them (any older REL is fine too).
Will also check with D&Ds to audition them; models under consideration are REL T9/i or REL T7/i.

Here is the plan, if things pan out as I foresee them.
- acquiring a Parasound NC 200Pre preamp soon (http://parasound.com/200_Pre.php)
- have HT and 2-Ch rigs co-located in the living room but separate chain of electronics/speakers
- the above preamp has HT bypass inputs (Left/Right) which will allow me to connect AVR to main speakers
- it also has 2 sub inputs and 2 sub outputs
- sub to be replaced is a 20-year old Onkyo SKW320
- current sub does "something" for HT, but "nothing good" for 2-Ch

TV/Movies chain:
TV (ARC) on Marantz NR1605 (L/R and one LFE preouts)
--> Parasound NC 200Pre (in HT bypass mode)
--> Center and surrounds powered by AVR

Main rig (co-located with TV/AVR above):
Stereo Audio sources --> Parasound NC 200Pre --> Outlaw Audio M2200 (x2) --> KEF R300s + (Single Sub)

Thanks in advance.
Cheers,
Raghu

FM @arj mentioned that he had used dual REL subs earlier in a stereo rig, but not any more. He should be able to help you out

FM @arj mentioned that he had used dual REL subs earlier in a stereo rig, but not any more. He should be able to help you out
I will reach out to him. Thanks.
Just waiting for the preamp to arrive and some experimentation.
Then I can pose relevant questions.

I’d be wary of making that assumption about REL for HT usage.
Well ....
Compared to the sub I have for HT, I would like to believe that REL may perform better :)

Cheers,
Raghu

FM @sound_cycle bought a new Rel T9 subwoofer to compliment his magnepen Speakers for low end..
He's pretty much happy with the SQ performance improvements. He'll be able to give some inputs.
The dealer is from Bengaluru I think, the dealer may oblige with a home demo!

FM @sound_cycle bought a new Rel T9 subwoofer to compliment his magnepen Speakers for low end..
He's pretty much happy with the SQ performance improvements. He'll be able to give some inputs.
The dealer is from Bengaluru I think, the dealer may oblige with a home demo!
Thanks, I am already in touch with @sound_cycle
He has connected me with the local contact in Bangalore.
Cheers,
Raghu

I have heard quite a few stereo setups where subs were integrated. The best setups were the ones where the owner had spend considerable time fine tuning it. Unless you get a professional or expert user to help out, it can take you forever to get it right. Don't use the subwoofer outputs of your stereo amp. Use the high level speaker inputs to the sub. This gives you a seamless tone. REL, JL audio, Rhythmik are all good for 2 channel. 2 subs are always better than 1.

Simple tips and explanation from Paul above. Thanks for the link @square_wave

This itch (yeah right now it is just that) was triggered by a couple of things:
- new preamp coming
- a thread where RELs were mentioned to be good for music

On the forum (when giving free advice), I have been a strong advocate of Needs/Means/Opportunities.
As of now it is not yet a strong "need"; more of a whimsical "want".
Means/budget is there, if a viable/workable solution presents itself.
Opportunities is a bit more tricky; real estate for 1 sub is there, twin subs is iffy.

MA-4.jpg LR.png

Reference images of the current setup and floor plan are above.
Subwoofer can be placed behind/beside right speaker.

The real & theoretical challenges I foresee are:
- sub/s may not integrate with the main speakers and/or room (very real issue; may excite everything except me)
- since I have monoblocks driving mains, twin subs are recommended by REL using high level connections
- no space to host twin sub/s; left side is very dicey
- may have to use low level connection from preamp
- the preamp has a summed L+R full range output alongside regular preouts (dunno if this will work for sub)
- no grill on bottom passive radiator (real issue as I have two dogs; dog hair has a tendency to search for speaker driver)
- how to make it maid proof (real issue; since maids get very adventurous during cleaning)
Some of these concerns will be answered when the new preamp comes in and I try out some basic expts.

Cheers,
Raghu

I will reach out to him. Thanks.
Just waiting for the preamp to arrive and some experimentation.
Then I can pose relevant questions.

Well ....
Compared to the sub I have for HT, I would like to believe that REL may perform better :)

Cheers,
Raghu
out of the country till 14th but happy to help with my experiences. I had used it in Audio only. I had 2 REL Strata Vs hence they were very clear but not the stomach churning thump one wants for movies...

out of the country till 14th but happy to help with my experiences. I had used it in Audio only. I had 2 REL Strata Vs hence they were very clear but not the stomach churning thump one wants for movies...
Thanks @arj
I am primarily looking for a new sub to do its song and dance for music. For HT if it does OK, I'm fine.
It will be at least a few weeks before I can seriously consider exploratory work in this direction.
If/when this begins, I will need the help and expertise of folks who have done this earlier.
Cheers,
Raghu

Simple tips and explanation from Paul above. Thanks for the link @square_wave

This itch (yeah right now it is just that) was triggered by a couple of things:
- new preamp coming
- a thread where RELs were mentioned to be good for music

On the forum (when giving free advice), I have been a strong advocate of Needs/Means/Opportunities.
As of now it is not yet a strong "need"; more of a whimsical "want".
Means/budget is there, if a viable/workable solution presents itself.
Opportunities is a bit more tricky; real estate for 1 sub is there, twin subs is iffy.

View attachment 36825 View attachment 36826

Reference images of the current setup and floor plan are above.
Subwoofer can be placed behind/beside right speaker.

The real & theoretical challenges I foresee are:
- sub/s may not integrate with the main speakers and/or room (very real issue; may excite everything except me)
- since I have monoblocks driving mains, twin subs are recommended by REL using high level connections
- no space to host twin sub/s; left side is very dicey
- may have to use low level connection from preamp
- the preamp has a summed L+R full range output alongside regular preouts (dunno if this will work for sub)
- no grill on bottom passive radiator (real issue as I have two dogs; dog hair has a tendency to search for speaker driver)
- how to make it maid proof (real issue; since maids get very adventurous during cleaning)
Some of these concerns will be answered when the new preamp comes in and I try out some basic expts.

Cheers,
Raghu
Raghu

I have similar issues integrating my monoblocks - im currently using one channel out of the pre to manage. No such issues with my Vidar power amp when I use that.

I moved to bangalore recently and am still to fully dial in my setup (getting carpets etc). Right now the room acoustics are quite bad at my place and the bass tends to run around the room. Hopefully some carpeting should help.

Raghu

I have similar issues integrating my monoblocks - im currently using one channel out of the pre to manage. No such issues with my Vidar power amp when I use that.

I moved to bangalore recently and am still to fully dial in my setup (getting carpets etc). Right now the room acoustics are quite bad at my place and the bass tends to run around the room. Hopefully some carpeting should help.
Haha!! Like the way you have put it.
So my guess is, Vidar is in stereo mode and you use high level input on sub.
Cheers,
Raghu

Basically, all you need is a woofer, not a subwoofer. Neither an active subwoofer which is bad. You need a passive woofer which is an alterable frequency which matches with your bookshelf or floor stander.

The problems with active subwoofers are many. The stiffness of the subwoofer which is basically designed for HT application will not fit for many reasons. The stiffer suspension will be hard to move hence you don't get the layers in the bass. The amplifier will never get matched to the amplifier you feed with mids and highs. One subwoofer will suffer imaging. Woofer needs to be relatively closer to the mids and highs so that the integration and time domain issues and wavefront and wave radiation pattern along with lobe structure needs to match. But with a sub like what you find in HT will not gel well. If anyone says that no the active subwoofer sounds amazing and phenomenal then wait till you hear the passive woofer which can go deeper down to 30Hz or lower.

Aha!!
There had to be at least one contrarian view in a discussion to make it balanced :)

Well ... @sandyjhyderabad, it will be difficult for me to find a passive speaker with specs to match the fronts and hunt for suitable amplification.
So the practical way is to attempt "reasonably good sounding" sub integration into the 2-channel rig and hope it also delivers a little something on the HT front. From what I have read and seen over the web about REL, they are favorably reviewed for 2-channel, albeit with the caveat that it takes time to get it right. Many FMs here too have suggested REL from personal experience. So there is some truth to it.

Will it work in my home and my rig is the all important question?
And hopefully this will be answered to a greater extant from gathering user experiences and possibly an audition or two.

From what I could gather, REL literature and independent reviewers state:
- if using one sub for 2-ch enhancement, place as per convenience
- if possible use 2 subs and place as close to main speakers as possible
- both approaches will require patient tuning
- use high level output when possible, but low level input also provides good cohesion

I still have to understand why REL specifically warns of single sub and monoblocks using high level connection.

Cheers,
Raghu

If you go with the active subwoofer way believe me very soon you will sell the setup.
I may re-purpose the existing sub with small satellites for basic TV sound and streaming at parents' place.
So a new sub will be required anyways for HT purposes. It need not be a floor shaker.
Most folks get a sub for HT rumble/growl and pray it works well for music too.
I'm looking at it the other way. Something that will do reasonably well for music and add a presence for HT.
Cheers,
Raghu

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back