To suspend speaker's from concrete ceiling for Dolby Atmos / Dts X..

elangoas

Scenario - Considering one of the best location to experience Atmos/ Dts X at home, is to have speakers in the ceiling.. But, most of us don't have the ability to put it there as it is concrete ceiling..

Thought is to suspend the in-ceiling speakers from ceiling using necessary hardware.. Any downsides to it?

Appreciate your inputs on the same..

Hi

Only downsides to it would be if the hardware is not secure enough...you may have the speaker crashing on the viewers heads!

Depending on hardware being used, angel / positioning of the speaker may be challenging....

If the speakers are not that heavy in weight....why not make a PoP ceiling? The metal frame would possibly hold the weight.....

Google images can also provide some jugaad ideas for mounting such speakers...

Even I'm in a similar dilemma for Atmos speakers with a concrete ceiling. Since I'm thinking of using Polk Omw5, being relatively heavy, I doubt a Pop ceiling would hold it.
With a metal cladding it may help but overall acoustics should be looked into.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi

Only downsides to it would be if the hardware is not secure enough...you may have the speaker crashing on the viewers heads!

:eek:hyeah:.. Good one.. Lot of quality chain links are aval with local hardware store.. Even if you were to source a good one, it shouldn't cost more than 1K.

Depending on hardware being used, angel / positioning of the speaker may be challenging....

True.. I believe, there should be a workaround..

If the speakers are not that heavy in weight....why not make a PoP ceiling? The metal frame would possibly hold the weight.....

The cost of getting a PoP ceiling done is abt 50 - 60 Rs/ Sqft.. For my room size 150 Sqft, it roughly works up to 10K = Cost of pair of in-ceiling speakers.. Hence thought to suspend it with minimal cost..

Even I'm in a similar dilemma for Atmos speakers with a concrete ceiling. Since I'm thinking of using Polk Omw5, being relatively heavy, I doubt a Pop ceiling would hold it.
With a metal cladding it may help but overall acoustics should be looked into.

My AVR is only capable of 5.2.2, so thought of making the best out of it than using the alternate location (Front Heights)..

FM @sdurani had mentioned that it is best to aim the speakers to listener.. In your scenario, you could use the mount capabilities to aim the Polk OWM 5 to your Listening position..

Here is the thread for more info - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/...vel-above-ear-level-angled-tilted-better.html

In an other discussion, FM @Manoj.p suggested co-axial works best if ceiling mounted - Here is the thread for more info - http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/64372-3-way-speaker-surrounds-your-suggestion-plz.html

Last edited:
It's a kids play to mount the Atmosphere speakers in ceiling. It's no big deal. Either you get the OE wall or ceiling mount box suitable for your driver's or make a wooden box.

This box can be mounted on the ceiling just with the help of 1/4" Anchor bolts /fasteners 2 per box. Don't worry about the weight of the total weight. One 1/4" Anchor bold can hold a weight of 0.25 tons when properly anchored to a concrete surface. Left to me I will use only one per box.

I am searching for B&Ws CCM 817 / 818 for my set up. Once I get it I will post how have I done it.

When it is mounted on ceiling you have to give 15deg. angle focusing the listener.

But then it is widely suggested to mount the Atmosphere speakers on the wall. With regard to the Angle of focus for the front and rear I will update in a little while.

It's a kids play to mount the Atmosphere speakers in ceiling. It's no big deal. Either you get the OE wall or ceiling mount box suitable for your driver's or make a wooden box.

This box can be mounted on the ceiling just with the help of 1/4" Anchor bolts /fasteners 2 per box. Don't worry about the weight of the total weight. One 1/4" Anchor bold can hold a weight of 0.25 tons when properly anchored to a concrete surface. Left to me I will use only one per box.

Thanks for the details..

My thought was to get a non tilted in-ceiling speaker without enclosure box, mount it to a small square shaped plywood with minimal thickness,make holes on four corners of the plywood, a good hook in the ceiling and suspended with chain links.. The advantage with chain links is that you get to adjust the tilt, so the speakers are angled towards listening position..

I am searching for B&Ws CCM 817 / 818 for my set up. Once I get it I will post how have I done it.

When it is mounted on ceiling you have to give 15deg. angle focusing the listener.

Great.. Awaiting pictures..

But then it is widely suggested to mount the Atmosphere speakers on the wall. With regard to the Angle of focus for the front and rear I will update in a little while.

Are you referring to front heights?

Last edited:
Please post some pictures once you've done setup. I'm looking for the same once i move out to a new location next year.

elangos - Why not ELAC A4 ? The reviews are very good and I am sure Mr. Jones would have given his best to bring the real atmos effects in A4.

I have mounted Paradigm P 80 R in a plywood box suspended from ceiling with plywood bar.
868a02401f71f2d6f739d4d0c91d5129.jpg
f06ccde712f574f7573c90384507b7bd.jpg
35be58c4fe66910711c7a0bc29123bc0.jpg

elangos - Why not ELAC A4 ? The reviews are very good and I am sure Mr. Jones would have given his best to bring the real atmos effects in A4.

I like to keep off the established brands/products as they are quite expensive (In India).. Also, there are few compromises with Dolby Atmos elevation/add-on speakers..

I have mounted Paradigm P 80 R in a plywood box suspended from ceiling with plywood bar.

Great.. How much did the Paradigm P80R cost for a pair?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Elangoji, Great u have put the query on forum. Let different thoughts come in.
I'm just posting the photos for the benefit of some members. It's a sonodyne sonus 3540 speaker which comes with brackets for mounting it on ceiling /wall with tilt options.

ebea4fd2ebc1d9832f89fbaf763b3c7e.jpg
bfa3896d13437d35e6f7e136d709956b.jpg

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Sharing frequency response from MultEQ app for ceiling speakers.

Thanks.. Not from the Multi EQ app, but from the OSD of the AVR..

Setup (AVR Remote Button) - Speakers - Audyssey Setup - check results - crossover..

These are the lowest response detected by Audyssey after calibration..
7effaf404ef763771087bd881904cf01.jpg

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back