Topping E50 or iFi Zen DAC 2

RaaR

Need feedbacks from people who have experienced both on how the sound signature would be. In case if someone from Chennai own them, would love to drop for an audition.

Planning to buy one of these from headphonezone soon. Hence love to have your inputs to decide.

Adding a whatsapp compressed recording of my previous chain (Shield Pro - - > Tempotec Sonata HD Pro (Now I need replacement for this) - - > Class D amp - - > Custom built 2-way Horn Speakers)

I prefer a laid back, primarily non-fatiguing signature. Bit tight on the budget for sometime, hence the low priced options

Haven't heard iFi Zen DAC V2 but have recently bought a Topping E50. With default settings and using the inbuilt pre-amplifier i experience no fatigue. Compared to my other DACs I feel the soundstage is wider, there is better separation of instruments and the low frequencies are more enhanced

You might be better off with the Schiit Modi 3E as per your requirement. I own both zen dac/zen dac v2 (also zen one signature) and e50. It really depends upon which speakers and amplifier you pair it with. On some speakers I like the e50 better, and on some the ifi zen dac v2. The e50 is more neutral, better soundstage, and is wider, but also leaner. The zen dac has more forwarded mids as compared to the e50 and is a bit thicker.

Haven't heard iFi Zen DAC V2 but have recently bought a Topping E50. With default settings and using the inbuilt pre-amplifier i experience no fatigue. Compared to my other DACs I feel the soundstage is wider, there is better separation of instruments and the low frequencies are more enhanced
Thanks for the update.

How is the low frequency performance?! Also how will you define the sound, is it thin or meaty!!

Thanks for the update.

How is the low frequency performance?! Also how will you define the sound, is it thin or meaty!!
I had a Schitt Modi 2 Uber for a short time, compared to that, the E50 sounds thin. The low frequency punch is better with E50 among the DACs I have. I only have few entry level DACs to compare though

I had a Schitt Modi 2 Uber for a short time, compared to that, the E50 sounds thin. The low frequency punch is better with E50 among the DACs I have. I only have few entry level DACs to compare though
Thanks a lot <3 May I know the DACs you have listened to or own?!

So far I have had only Tempotec Sonata HD Pro 😅

Thanks a lot <3 May I know the DACs you have listened to or own?!
I have Stoner Accoustics UD120 and Allo Boss 2 other than the E50. Had bought a pre-owned Schitt Modi 2 Uber, but it stopped working in a few weeks. Another thing to note is that the E50 does not like low quality sources. My 128 Kbps mp3s sounds horrible with the E50 whereas it is ok with the UD120. I dont understand why is this so, will need some more testing

I have Stoner Accoustics UD120 and Allo Boss 2 other than the E50. Had bought a pre-owned Schitt Modi 2 Uber, but it stopped working in a few weeks. Another thing to note is that the E50 does not like low quality sources. My 128 Kbps mp3s sounds horrible with the E50 whereas it is ok with the UD120. I dont understand why is this so, will need some more testing
Thanks a lot for the detailed update Prajan :) I am currently looking at ifi zen dac v2 to go with, but waiting for personal experience from FMs to go ahead with

Is the preamp mode making any pops when turned on?

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back