Toshiba U79 and U80 Owners Discussion And Review !!

bipin1143

Hi guys here we'll discuss the new Toshiba TVs
Please feel free to post reviews and pictures and also updates about upcoming U8080

I'm also waiting to know the number of dimming zones and out of the box colour accuracy etc
@fragpic please update this thread will all the information u gained from your purchase

One thing to keep in mind while counting number of zones is that you can miss one zone on each axis. So for example if the number of zones is 56 (8x7), you can count 7x6 as you might miss the one at the start. An 8x7 dimming zone layer will only shift 7 and 6 times.

Just got done with the installation.
It mostly is a good out of the box experience but here are a few issues I had.

1. Had to change HDMI to Enhanced mode to get 4K to work on my Xbox. I wasted a good 15min wondering why 4K wasnt working.
2. It seems to be using a very old version of Dolby Vision(the one without dynamic metadata which is just HDR10) and my Xbox says that it doesnt support dolby vision. This is a huge bummer for me.

Here's a pic that shows the Dobly vision issue and also the blooming around text. It isnt as bad in real life as it looks on the pic.
20200919_180138.jpg

@lightgamer

Played the videos you linked and the colors and black levels are excellent for an LED. I have a 55B7 OLED too and I feel like this comes within 10-15% of the black level. TV itself is brighter and that causes the colors to pop.
I haven't tweaked much of the settings yet so it might improve further.

Local dimming test for h8g/U79

This video is only in 1080p and playing it on YouTube shows a lot of compression artifacts.
Quantum TV is an idiot, he doesnt know what he's doing.
I do see some blooming but mostly when in the Xbox menu. Netflix and other normal content doesn't show any noticeble blooming.

Not sure if this helps but I made a video playing HDR10 content

Also, even though I don't have much use for the inbuilt OS, it is very fluid and fast.
I tweaked some settings based on rtings settings and the display looks more accurate now. I had to bring down the backlight from 100 to 30 in SDR mode.
Overall I'm mostly satisfied except for the Dolby vision issue. Hopefully there is some software update to fix that but I highly doubt Hisense even cares.

Last edited:
Just got done with the installation.
It mostly is a good out of the box experience but here are a few issues I had.

1. Had to change HDMI to Enhanced mode to get 4K to work on my Xbox. I wasted a good 15min wondering why 4K wasnt working.
2. It seems to be using a very old version of Dolby Vision(the one without dynamic metadata which is just HDR10) and my Xbox says that it doesnt support dolby vision. This is a huge bummer for me.

Here's a pic that shows the Dobly vision issue and also the blooming around text. It isnt as bad in real life as it looks on the pic.
View attachment 49745

@lightgamer

Played the videos you linked and the colors and black levels are excellent for an LED. I have a 55B7 OLED too and I feel like this comes within 10-15% of the black level. TV itself is brighter and that causes the colors to pop.
I haven't tweaked much of the settings yet so it might improve further.

This video is only in 1080p and playing it on YouTube shows a lot of compression artifacts.
Quantum TV is an idiot, he doesnt know what he's doing.
I do see some blooming but mostly when in the Xbox menu. Netflix and other normal content doesn't show any noticeble blooming.

Windows and Xbox are usually terrible with Dolby content due to the licensing restrictions around it.

If you have Netflix 4k plan, try playing 'our planet' on it with the default Netflix app (not through Xbox). It's a Dolby Vision title and should work.

Can you please do a detailed review?
Its pretty much the h8f and I dont think I can do a better job than rtings.
I can answer any specific questions though.

Windows and Xbox are usually terrible with Dolby content due to the licensing restrictions around it.

If you have Netflix 4k plan, try playing 'our planet' on it with the default Netflix app (not through Xbox). It's a Dolby Vision title and should work.

I don't think its a licensing issue but rather with Hisense not updating their Dolby Vision package on the VIDAA platform
The Android version doesn't seem to have the same issue. I do have the 4K plan but I dont want to use the TV's internal apps(privacy concern with chinese mfgs).Netflix on my Xbox falls back to HDR10 and the experience has been pretty good so far.

Also, I am seeing some motion stuttering on 24p content on Netflix and I don't see an option to set Film mode. I had to resort to enabling motion reduction by setting blur and judder 2 which helps a bit. I'm really disappointed in the tweakability of the settings. Like the android version has so much more flexibility.

Last edited:
try these settings from rtings i know both run different os see if these settttings can help

try these settings from rtings i know both run different os see if these settttings can help
I did. It did improve the picture.
But the rtings settings have a lot of option that are just missing on the VIDAA version

Its pretty much the h8f and I dont think I can do a better job than rtings.
I can answer any specific questions though.

I don't think its a licensing issue but rather with Hisense not updating their Dolby Vision package on the VIDAA platform
The Android version doesn't seem to have the same issue. I do have the 4K plan but I dont want to use the TV's internal apps(privacy concern with chinese mfgs).Netflix on my Xbox falls back to HDR10 and the experience has been pretty good so far.

Also, I am seeing some motion stuttering on 24p content on Netflix and I don't see an option to set Film mode. I had to resort to enabling motion reduction by setting blur and judder 2 which helps a bit. I'm really disappointed in the tweakability of the settings. Like the android version has so much more flexibility.

Google is coming with the new best chromacast which will support android TV. Also you can get the mi box I guess.

If it can play Netflix, then the app is made by Netflix themselves and you shouldn't worry about privacy. Netflix has strong DRM protection and won't allow others to mess with their apps.

If this is 100% h8f then the u8080 would be 100% h9g
with no downgrades
The TVs might be the same but I think Hisense is changing the hardware processing system.
They are missing a lot of features like BFI, Film mode, Dolby Vision from external devices etc.

do you have any other streaming device besides xbox?

I have an old fire stick which I don't believe supports dolby vision.
AFAIK, the older version of Dolby Vision is missing the most important feature of DV i.e the dynamic metadata(per scene HDR data)
That means that its pretty much HDR10

Google is coming with the new best chromacast which will support android TV. Also you can get the mi box I guess.

If it can play Netflix, then the app is made by Netflix themselves and you shouldn't worry about privacy. Netflix has strong DRM protection and won't allow others to mess with their apps.
Yes, I'm eagerly waiting for that one. My issue is not with Netflix itself, but with connecting the TV to the internet. I have a few chinese security cameras and you have to see how much data they send back to China. I had to block internet access for them.
Coming back to the point, even internal Netflix app when using the older version of Dolby vision is pretty much just going to be HDR10.

Yes, I'm eagerly waiting for that one. My issue is not with Netflix itself, but with connecting the TV to the internet. I have a few chinese security cameras and you have to see how much data they send back to China. I had to block internet access for them.
Coming back to the point, even internal Netflix app when using the older version of Dolby vision is pretty much just going to be HDR10.

I get it, but that has a fundamental downside of you never able to get firmware update. Say for example tomorrow Toshiba does offer a firmware update for fixing Dolby Vision (or it might already be available), you won't be able to get it because you won't connect the TV to the internet.

A better way would be to create a burner account and inputting that data. A TV doesn't have a lot of sensors so it won't be able to send much data anyway. And if that data has a burner account, then it's as good as worthless even if it does send it. You should be safe with Netflix and prime video apps as well since they are built by Netflix and Amazon. So you can input your stuff there.

You shouldn't use the in-built browser and Toshiba apps for sure, as that data is definitely getting sent to mainland China.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back