Totally disappointed with LCD

deepakjeswal

After spending 60K on LCD, am totally disappointed.

Bought Sony 40 Inches.

Clarity is hardly there...it's hazy, the letters are always double/hazy/blurred... reading the end-credits or any credits on a film has become a pain.

Called the Sony guy twice ( the first one was not helpful and rude, the second much better, thankfully).

End result? Well, you don't have HDMI signal ( I use a normal Tata Sky) nor an HDMI DVD player, hence this will continue.

So I spend 60 K and I get a huge sized giant that has actually robbed away my viewing pleasure.

Why wasn't this HDMI bullshit informed to me *before* I purchased the TV by the dealer so that I would have avoided this altogether?!

I wonder - what's this obsession with LCD TV by everyone - how many people will in any case have HD signal ??? ( Even Tata Sky is offering only 8 channels on their HD ). How many average Indian will know of HDMI ??!! Most people will have the normal DVD player only??!!

LCD is the biggest scam in TV industry to rip off middle class wallets selling them dreams and then not delivering.

TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Sad to know that but,
(Thats why) many of us here preffered other brands to Sony.Sony can look better with HD only & SD performance can vary(depending on features).
You can try connecting TATAsky with component if present.Things may improve OR upgrade to HD STB.

Last edited:
I wonder - what's this obsession with LCD TV by everyone - how many people will in any case have HD signal ??? ( Even Tata Sky is offering only 8 channels on their HD ). How many average Indian will know of HDMI ??!! Most people will have the normal DVD player only??!!

LCD is the biggest scam in TV industry to rip off middle class wallets selling them dreams and then not delivering.

TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Sad to hear bout your experience buddy. This is very common experience when watching nomal tv compared to showroom.

But who says this obsession to everyone? if you search the net you will find majority professional editors/ graphics designer still rely on good CRT monitors only and dont want to turn off. frankly I am vey much happy with crts & will not change unless its dead and very good lcds comes in the range of 15k to 25k for 40 inches. May be 4years down the line.

personally i think we should keep our old crt for watching SD and lcds for HD movies. Anyways your old CRT will not yield you good price now a days.

Bought Sony 40 Inches.

Clarity is hardly there...it's hazy, the letters are always double/hazy/blurred... reading the end-credits or any credits on a film has become a pain.

Called the Sony guy twice ( the first one was not helpful and rude, the second much better, thankfully).

End result? Well, you don't have HDMI signal ( I use a normal Tata Sky) nor an HDMI DVD player, hence this will continue.

So I spend 60 K and I get a huge sized giant that has actually robbed away my viewing pleasure.

Why wasn't this HDMI bullshit informed to me *before* I purchased the TV by the dealer so that I would have avoided this altogether?!

TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Sad to hear that...

Check whether tatasky has component out. Component out is better and i am using it to connect my tatasky+.

Am a little surprised regarding Deepaks experience, since I own a Sony EX 600 LED and the picture quality, be it, Bluray / DVD / SD (thro' set-top box with composite cable) is absolutely stunning only the audio leaves a lot to be desired. Try kicking up your complaint, am sure you will get a satisfactory response.

i knew it but it is not that bad may u need to wait till the point where u get HDTV at good rate or u get rich to pay 4 HD channels .
for JANATA class video LCD is not a device u can use..specially the
normal STB or roadside DVDs with blurry rips.

in my case the LED tv serves as a big display..
vga out from laptop gives stunning HD/SD video display on my tv.
1.5GB mkv rips give very good video that even look better in 1m distance.. CRT cant do this .

End result? Well, you don't have HDMI signal ( I use a normal Tata Sky) nor an HDMI DVD player, hence this will continue. ....

I think you have jumped to conclusions very quickly. I have both an LCD TV and a CRT connected to the same signal source. The CRT uses an ordinary composite cable. I have tried the LCD with a composite, and the quality difference is quite apparent. You can also connect an LCD to a DVDP using component, and the quality also again will be quite good.

Composite, component, and HDMi are stages in connectivity with improvements and offer better connectivity. But saying a composite or component will deliver poor results is not correct. You also have to set the TV according to the signal you are feeding. You do not necessarily need HD signal to get good pictures on your TV.

Remember a LCD has a large screen and will highlight any deficiencies that you have in the source. You can compensate this by adjusting the TV settings. For example, set the TV to 480P, and grow slowly up the ladder. The minute you feel there is degradation in video quality, that is where you stop.

Check your sources, get a good quality cable, and re-look at your TV settings.

Strangely this is the first time I am hearing someone say LCD is bad.

Cheers

Last edited:

Bought Sony 40 Inches.

TOTALLY DISAPPOINTED!!!

Hi deepakjeswal!
I've been there where you are now!
Most entry level LCD's have this issue. The picture is a "WOW" when they are @ the Showrooms. They are always playing HD Content ALL THE TIME.
The moment you take it home, you feel like shitty bocs of the difference in the picture.
I had a 37", 5 series Samsung(1080i capable), bought it sometime back in 2006. Paid double the price of what it costs for a similar model today. The picture was 'good enough'. The picture clarity improved when I routed the Set Top Box signal thru an Onkyo 875. This was due to the upscaling feature inbuilt in the 875. For some reason the Samsung broke(screen damaged).:mad:
I replaced it with an LG 42". This is claimed to be HD TV capable of playing "1080p". Specwise superior(supposedly) to my 'late samsung'.
Compared to the Samsung, the performance of the LG is a let down. This as per the market here, is an "entry level LCD". Hence the clarity.
However DVD's / Media Player Content & few HD Channels which I receive come out quite impressive!
Now that you have already bought your LCD. Try to get an A/C receiver with an upscaling feature(borrow one if you get a chance) play it & let us know if you see the difference.
Or alternatively you could go in for a DVDO Video Processor by Anchor Bay to resolve this issue. Very expensive in my opinion! Unless you are willing to pay that price.
Now in India, the signal quality is not that grand at all!

The latest "high end/expensive" models of Sony and Samsung(3D LED/LED) are pretty good in improving your signal. But are we ready to pay that price!! Someting to think about!!
LG is a let down, I am not very happy with the Brand. This is my opinion thou!

For technical explantion, I leave it to the Guru's here on HFV to chip in!

I have tried the LCD with a composite, and the quality difference is quite apparent. You can also connect an LCD to a DVDP using component, and the quality also again will be quite good.

Composite, component, and HDMi are stages in connectivity with improvements and offer better connectivity. But saying a composite or component will deliver poor results is not correct.

Please don't mind my ignorance in all this - but what is a composite cable or component cable ?

How much does it cost?

Will it help marginally or substantially ?

I am actually a little frustrated right now and might have sounded a bit harsh, but the fact is that shelling out Rs 60K and not getting the desired result is pinching me a bit too much...

Try kicking up your complaint, am sure you will get a satisfactory response.

Samsung or Sony - when it comes to customer service - I reckon both are the same. I haven't really had the best of experience with Samsung after-sales here in Mumbai. Blame the dealer/service outlet is their best response. The Sony guy who came did the same thing - the dealer should have informed you. When I said, he didn't, he merely shrugged. Too bad, my fault.

Sorry to hear about your experience :( We always end up adjusting and compromising many things in life. The consumers need to see a Revolution of sorts. The companies and dealers got to realize that the customer is King. Having said that we need to do our home work at all times and can not totally depend on the sales persons sales talk. After joining this forum I have become wiser and my knowledge has increased. Recently I fell for a deal by a seller for a HTS which was already out of production. When I actually read the reviews you know what there arent any as the model is so old :( So from my lessons learnt I am very cautious about all future purchases :)

venkatcr as explained it quite clearly.

@ deepakjeswal
Are you upgrading from a CRT.Also i believe you saw the Blu-ray playback and expect the same thing from your regular SD video.

If the source is bad even a 3lakh+ tv even a OLED tv won't be of any help.The tv will only highlight how bad the source is.

So are you playing some cheap dvd or rip.

I use composite out in my XBOX(not 360) to play DVDs and picture is flawless.If i use a crappy road side DVD or pirated dvd then it will look like crap.

So first maker sure the source is good both the media and the player/STB.

couple of settings you can try is,firstly the factory settings will be in showroom mode that is backlight set to max,all kinds of processing enabled,sharpness set to high.

Some settings that may help.
Set the display to normal ,you will get blacks bars at either sides.

Reduce backlight to the lowest setting or turn on power saving to low or switch on the light sensor(Your eyes ability to detect artifacts during compression will greatly reduce,by default its usually set to quite high settings ) or

Color temperature to warm 1 or warm 2.
Adjust the Sharpness to no more then 10.(can reduce to lower in a good quality source)

Disable noise reduction and mpeg noise reduction.
disable black corrector,clear white.

Advanced contrast enhancer to OFF or no more then low.

Sorry to hear about your exp, but I am not sure whether your expectations are very huge or you expecting that stunning blu-ray quality exp. that you saw in showrooms. I bought 40' Ex400 for my home, am pretty impressed with the SD quality of it where the source is not even DTH, some localwala cable:cool:.

Try to use adder's setting, I have used the calibration settings of Ex700 from CNet, looked fine for me. Anywayz, Google it n tweak it a bit n play with it n don't get pissed with your tv that soon. Trust me, it just that your source is very bad, not the Tv:)

Thanks agentunited & adder.

I can't decide whether the TV *is* wrong or *my* expectation - either ways, I only see huge amount of money gone down the drain.

BTW, I tried the settings.

I tried HDMI DVD with HDMI cables and an *original* DVD.

End-credit titles of the film - still not very clear, though a bit better, but it's still blurry and makes the eyes watery. (they are usually against black background with white small letters, and I like to read them ... can say it's just a hobby). Otherwise, anything written on screen looks with a ghost behind it.

BTW ... a VCD still looks crap!

Sad, since most movies I don't intend or want to buy DVDs (due to the cost).

I am at my wit's end trying to assuage myself as to why did I ever go for this crappy television if I have to limit myself so much.

Oh...I tried another DVD too ( it's such a pain 'trying' out various DVD's since most carry those 'non-forwadable' advts!!!) - and that was as bad as ever :(

What do i set the DVD player's resolution to? 1920*1080p or 1920*1080i or lesser?

Sorry for sounding like a cranky child, but ... but... but...

Last edited:
Well i believe you expected a lot more.Nothing wrong with the tv.
See i can read those credit titles quite easily(off course some credit titles are designed bad) even in my 4 year old lcd inferior to the NX500 in every way except for reflection and sound.

Try experimenting with the settings (but disable the mpeg,noise reduction settings).
Everyone has different requirement in picture quality.Many infact don't like the calibrated settings,so only you can find the sweet spot thats good for you.

Lol VCD looked always like crap or i never found a original one.

I would suggest you get in touch with Forum members based in Mumbai, ones having LCDs. There should be many.

It is possible your supplier/dealer persons would have missed something out on the settings. My previous experience with most service guys has been pathetic. Most don't know much .... work mechanically, without knowledge of the basics.

Put in a request here or scour around this site for guys running LCDs. Invite them over to your place. A few of them would love to help you out with their 'operations' experience ..... I am sure.

Thanks agentunited & adder.

I can't decide whether the TV *is* wrong or *my* expectation - either ways, I only see huge amount of money gone down the drain.

BTW, I tried the settings.

I tried HDMI DVD with HDMI cables and an *original* DVD.

End-credit titles of the film - still not very clear, though a bit better, but it's still blurry and makes the eyes watery. (they are usually against black background with white small letters, and I like to read them ... can say it's just a hobby). Otherwise, anything written on screen looks with a ghost behind it.

Well, I don't have such issues while playing DVD upscaled video songs. The picture quality is very gud to excellent and while playing BR-Rip -Blu-Ray 720p-1080p, picture quality is stunning.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back