Totally freaked about setting up a Home Theatre

dhruvky94

Hi all,

I am looking into setting up a home theatre system for my living room, but don’t know where to start. I am from Bangalore and did go to ProFX where I was shown Denon x1600h + Polk TL1600 for 93k. Does this sound like a good offer? Are Polk TL1600 speakers good? If not, what are my options?

My living room is apx 110 sqft. I have an LG C7 TV with MiBox, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC. Looking for a good 5.1 setup (Budget around 1L).

Thanks!

For 5.1, those Polks should hold their own again similarly priced counterparts. But, if you have an upgrade plan for the future, start with a pair of good bookshelf/floorstanding speakers and a decent amp. For your current budget, allocate 30 to 40k for the pair of speakers and the rest for amplification.

Also, getting a receiver with preouts is always a better choice (Denon 3500 or Marantz 6012 and above). This way, you can build up a system to your liking and ambience.

For 5.1, those Polks should hold their own again similarly priced counterparts. But, if you have an upgrade plan for the future, start with a pair of good bookshelf/floorstanding speakers and a decent amp. For your current budget, allocate 30 to 40k for the pair of speakers and the rest for amplification.

Also, getting a receiver with preouts is always a better choice (Denon 3500 or Marantz 6012 and above). This way, you can build up a system to your liking and ambience.

I don't think I can upgrade as my living room has a fairly small area. None of the floor standing speakers will fit due to a big tv unit. I can go for a good set of bookshelf speakers though, can you recommend any? ProFX is also providing free next day installation but they only have Polk and KEF. Any other store in Bangalore where I can get this?

As for the AV receiver, Denon 3500 is around 1.2 lakhs (which is the budget of my entire setup). What exactly is preouts and what are it's advantages? I am considering between Denon X1400h and Denon X1600h as there's a 20k price difference between them but X1600h has HDPC 2.3 which I am not sure if will be required in future.

Personally i would not go for a 5.1 setup in such a small room as there would not be much room for distance between speakers, and also think about whether you have space behind or to the sides of the listening position. You don't want to have the rear speakers too close to you. You can however get booksheves and a really good subwoofer for that budget. I got rid of my 5.1 system because of that same reason.
Also audition more speakers/ amplifiers before you settle, and do not hurry. Take your time as what may sound good at the dealers need not sound the same in your room.

I don't think I can upgrade as my living room has a fairly small area. None of the floor standing speakers will fit due to a big tv unit. I can go for a good set of bookshelf speakers though, can you recommend any? ProFX is also providing free next day installation but they only have Polk and KEF. Any other store in Bangalore where I can get this?

As for the AV receiver, Denon 3500 is around 1.2 lakhs (which is the budget of my entire setup). What exactly is preouts and what are it's advantages? I am considering between Denon X1400h and Denon X1600h as there's a 20k price difference between them but X1600h has HDPC 2.3 which I am not sure if will be required in future.
Preouts in a receiver provides the flexibility to use an external power amp while using your receiver as a preamp. That way you can get the desired amount of power and sound signature to the speakers. If you have no intention to go that route, Denon 2500h with a good pair of bookshelves and a subwoofer will do for now.

Personally i would not go for a 5.1 setup in such a small room as there would not be much room for distance between speakers, and also think about whether you have space behind or to the sides of the listening position. You don't want to have the rear speakers too close to you. You can however get booksheves and a really good subwoofer for that budget. I got rid of my 5.1 system because of that same reason.
Also audition more speakers/ amplifiers before you settle, and do not hurry. Take your time as what may sound good at the dealers need not sound the same in your room.
The placement of rear speakers is not a problem since I have a joint living room + dining room. So I can place them as far as I like. I can however start with 2.1 system and then add more speakers. What will you recommend? Also, any good places to audition in Bangalore?

I am also considering this: https://www.whathifi.com/wharfedale/dx-2/review

Elac, Taga, Mission, NHT, Wharfedale are some of the brands which carry good bookshelves for the money. You should give a listen to them before deciding on something.

Elac, Taga, Mission, NHT, Wharfedale are some of the brands which carry good bookshelves for the money. You should give a listen to them before deciding on something.

Ok will check them out! Any good places in Bangalore where I can listen to them? ProFX only keeps Polk and KEF.

Add Dali , Sonodyne speakers to that. Also do look at Marantz and Yamaha amplifiers. Yamaha in my opinion gives excellent value for money.

Hi all,

I am looking into setting up a home theatre system for my living room, but don’t know where to start. I am from Bangalore and did go to ProFX where I was shown Denon x1600h + Polk TL1600 for 93k. Does this sound like a good offer? Are Polk TL1600 speakers good? If not, what are my options?

My living room is apx 110 sqft. I have an LG C7 TV with MiBox, PS4 Pro, Gaming PC. Looking for a good 5.1 setup (Budget around 1L).

Thanks!

I did use the TL1600 paired with Yamaha v477 for over 3 years. The 5.1 system has a room filling sound and I used it in my living room which is 192 sq ft.

Also the sub woofer which comes part of the package is a good one. But this system is not good for music and feels very flat and throws no detail.

However for movies and considering your room size it's a good contender.

I did use the TL1600 paired with Yamaha v477 for over 3 years. The 5.1 system has a room filling sound and I used it in my living room which is 192 sq ft.

Also the sub woofer which comes part of the package is a good one. But this system is not good for music and feels very flat and throws no detail.

However for movies and considering your room size it's a good contender.

I have auditioned the TL1600 paired with Denon 550BT and they sounded amazing to me. My main use case would be Movies and Games. I have 0 intention of using this system for Music since I already have bose bluetooth speakers for that. Should I go for this system then?

You will soon out grow the The Polk TL1600. I went through this experience.
I would suggest that you invest in better speakers. They will last you a long time.

At ProFX demo the RTi series ( RT1A1 + CS1A4 + FXiA4). Yes its a lot more, but worth the investment. Push for a good discount.

You will also need a sub.

The Denon 1600h is a fine as a entry level AV Receiver. However, you may not get the best discount at ProFX.
Shop around for good prices. The Marantz 1509 is also a good entry level option.

In a 1 lac budget, allocate ~ 30-35K for the receiver, and the rest for speakers.

If you can increase your budget a bit, consider something like this :

Just my view.

I have auditioned the TL1600 paired with Denon 550BT and they sounded amazing to me. My main use case would be Movies and Games. I have 0 intention of using this system for Music since I already have bose bluetooth speakers for that. Should I go for this system then?

As suggested by other members, TL1600 will soon be overgrown so suggest you to audition the signature series. They are definitely a level higher than TL1600.

Profx can arrange a demo of the signature series as they usually have the setup ready. Give it a try

Hmmm... ok. I will audition Polk RTi and Signature series and update this thread then. Thanks for the help guys. I also wanted to audition Wharfedale but didn't get any stores that have them in stock.

Also, if I got with Polk signature series, any good subs also I can audition? TL1600 has Sub in package so didn't need to think about it :)

I am looking into setting up a home theatre system for my living room,

My living room is apx 110 sqft.

Space is at a premium.. Wall mount speakers would be good option, also keep an eye on speakers with shallow depth, so it wouldn't occupy much space and hinder when you move around the room..

but don’t know where to start. Looking for a good 5.1 setup (Budget around 1L).

If you have the liberty, and can add speakers above your listening position (sofa), you can do 5.1.2 set-up which can do all movie formats..
a1f46aa0ccb50c58e2f561595fa450cc.jpg

If you can stretch lil more, you can do 5.1.4 in your room..

17d03b49bd083b47979441f2e8f6da9f.jpg

Up to you to decide on how many speakers you can accomodate above you, depending on the living room limitation.. Even if you can't position height speakers like what it is shown in the picture, you can still mount it high on front walls / side walls..

Incase you can stretch your budget, Pioneer LX 303 is a 9.2 AVR and can do 5.1.4 out of the box.. You can get a 9.2 AVR + 5.1 spakers now and add 4 height speakers later..

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back