Tpeos Altone 200 Triple Hybrid IEM - Deal of the century!!!!

turgid

Hi,

Only months ago were triple hybrids(1dynamic driver + dual BA) introduced in the market. The better ones praised all around were dunu dn1000 and tpeos h200 while recently it has been the newer dunu dn 2000 and tpeos h300. They retailed for a decent price of around $250-$350 which were close to what anyone would shell out for an IEM but tpeos has really pushed it hard when it comes to a bargain by offering a triple hybrid for $165 inclusive of $20 shipping charges!

In a world were TWFKs still cost anywhere from $120 to $180, you get an added dynamic driver for bass for a price even less!!! Its a shame on other companies that ask for $300 for a triple BA when tpeos just offered a much more complicated design for half its price. While $110 for a hifiman re400 don't make sense anymore when for $50 more you can get some of the best dual BA architecture added into the mix!!

Here is a review by the great Clieos/Tai which also consists a link to purchase it online.

In Ear Matters: [REVIEW] T-PEOS Altone 200 Heck of a Bargain

Turgid, thank you for introducing this IEM by putting up the thread.

Abhi, I can urderstand your frustration. As you say awareness is a big issue. As far as the regular customer is concerned, it is up to the manufacturer to promote and make available his products. Only enthusiasts will take the pain to dig up info or source from somewhere else than a normal retail chain.

The second factor is the fear of taking a risk. People,even enthusiasts are wary about buying from a lesser known boutique brand, apprehensive about product failure, service support and also to a great extent the question, " What cheap chinese product have you bought for 3000 rupees?"

Edit: Any idea how the Alteone 200 compares with Gr07? Especially mid range quality, imaging and sibilance?

Last edited:
How will these suit Indian classical, jazz, folk, etc? Or would any other IEM be better in similar price range?

Well, here you cannot compare RE-400 to the Altone 200, if you ask me why? Because both these IEMs caters to different audience because of their different sound signature.

Still different companies selling single dynamic driver IEMs for 300 - 1000. It's not about counting driver, it's about a take on sound signature, quality and how one company implements everything with a single dynamic driver or multiple BA driver or hybrid driver. T-Peos is currently on a lead for having most hybrid design in their IEMs without a doubt.

We have introduced T-Peos range in India as their dealer but sadly people are still buying SoundMagic like peanuts and that is the only reason behind the unavailability of such exotic brands in India because Indians don't wanna move ahead. I would call it unawareness.

Kindly read what I have written thoroughly and now read what you have written..now read again!!.. Are not they planets apart?
There is no mention of Sq in my post so Why can't I compare the re400 and the altones?? There is no mention of SQ in my post is there!!?

All audience want a great deal for their Money they put in and that is the basis of my post. I have had various TWFK iems and know they can't do bad!! To get a dynamic driver along with it is just class leading if anything..especially for that kinda money!!

The re400 is great vfm and in many ways my idea for what a bargain should be like. But then altones came in!! I doubted the altones for poor SQ until clieos confirmed they are top of the list!!

P.S> please stop injecting your own bias into my posts!

How will these suit Indian classical, jazz, folk, etc? Or would any other IEM be better in similar price range?
Naturelover, check ljokerl thread on iem comparison on head-fi. You will get all the info you want. :)
Btw, try to go for IEMs that do not have sibilance issues.
A lot of our desi recordings, be it classical or bollywood, will be very difficult to bear with iems that are unforgiving of bad recordings.
You could look at Shure, hifiman range etc

Hi iaudio,

We have promoted our brands through various online review blogs and website but still if regular customer don't wanna read those reviews and can't understand them so what one can do?

As per our experience, only those things gets sold in India which has highest popularity even it has the average trait for what it is known for and that trait is known as sound.
There are crores of people in India in which lacs are interested in audio so how one can spoon-feed lacs of people in India?

As you said fear of taking a risk, SoundMagic has the most failure rate of stopped working, broken because of the average build quality and still people are buying it so doesn't my statements above makes it true?

The people who said that "What cheap chinese product have you bought for 3000 rupees?" don't even know that how many chinese things they might be using at their home.

I have not heard Altone200, this model is designed for the local market as we have been informed by the CEO of T-Peos.

Abhi, This is not something unique to India. Its true for the middle east and many other nations of the world. Other wise, Apple would have bought Vsonic for millions rather than Beats.

I answered your post very well my friend it's just you took in other way. Kindly re-read my previous post again.

I did not injected anything personal in my post. I have written the facts which only ignorant people would ignore, when someone buy an IEM so first he needs to understand that what does he want, his budget, his sound signature preferences, quality of sound, after sales support, local warranty and these are the traits I have written in my post. Sad to see that you took it as a bias.

People here mostly think that I am just pushing the brands here which is not true at all.

Ask one member audiodoc, he was looking to fix his Klipsch Image S4 (which is being getting sold like hot cakes in this forum as well as several place in India, until he bought HiFiMan RE-400 from us and then his perception of sound quality changes like anything. After bought it he thought that he have bought it from overseas online store :eek:hyeah:

That is why I written one word in bold unawareness.

Hi again by 'bias' i mean your point and again on unawareness that you seem to hug around this forum.

You have judged your own reply as 'good' which is 10 feet too short but I find your point on not comparing 2 Iems based on target audience a load of horse poop!!

While I know somethings are marketed with terms like 'audiophile' and 'reference', I really do not think those companies care what sort is the buyer ... consumer or pro! There is a large leap of space between intention and its effect!
But for the sake of argument, Clieos at In-Ear Matters(link above which I am sure you have not checked) has declared the Altone 200 to be a more friendly and consumer oriented version of the Tpeos H-200 which falls in the same category as the RE-400, consumer oriented sound! He has infact grouped it with the RE-400 in regard to Sound Signature(Warm+Sweet).!

But my shock here is the complex architecture they are able to offer for such a price. I have not heard the Altones myself just amazed at its price! I acknowledge that there is only one way to judge audio,viz. one's preferences but more drivers especially from a tried & tested company like Tpeos means a promise to me in many ways!!

P.S> Let me apologize as I came across as harsh in tone which I did not intend to convey.

Chao,
~A

Last edited:
And with regard to your statement on not comparing earphones based on target audience.. please explain how some of the most reputed reviewers like Clieos and |joker| have a long list comparing any and all IEMs they get their hands on!

Please see this list for your convenience

In Ear Matters: The List

There is everything from a $1000 Lear custom in ear to a cellphone user's MH1c!!

And the Altones have topped the universal list!

Regards,
~A

Turgid, thank you for introducing this IEM by putting up the thread.

Abhi, I can urderstand your frustration. As you say awareness is a big issue. As far as the regular customer is concerned, it is up to the manufacturer to promote and make available his products. Only enthusiasts will take the pain to dig up info or source from somewhere else than a normal retail chain.

The second factor is the fear of taking a risk. People,even enthusiasts are wary about buying from a lesser known boutique brand, apprehensive about product failure, service support and also to a great extent the question, " What cheap chinese product have you bought for 3000 rupees?"

Edit: Any idea how the Alteone 200 compares with Gr07? Especially mid range quality, imaging and sibilance?

Firstly Tpeos is Korean!! While for cheap IEMs with a lot of risk - I have bought a GH-ERC-DMS TWFK dual BA japanese IEM that I got replaced under Warranty by sending it back to Japan!!. I even went further to mould it into a custom but India Post lost it in Transit.

You should follow the link I have sent, there is a couple of points by Clieos himself comparing the Altones to the GR07!

Cheers,
~A

P.S> I love Chinese gadgets, I have a chinese phone that costed a lot actually!!

yes, I second the comment on choosing IEMs without sibilance as long as its Indian classical. Best pick up IEMs that are slightly rolled off in the treble like the SE-535 by Shure. Though you might lose a lot of air around some instruments like cymbals of drums and clarinets, they will be enjoyable none the less and any shrillness in the treble will not be present.

As Clieos indicated the rolled off treble and the smoothness uptop for the Altones, I dont see why this is not a good choice for any genre! Besides he has categorized it as Warm+Sweet which is the best choice genre by genre from my personal experience!

Go for it!!

Last edited:
|jokerr| and Tai gives the comparison of different IEMs in the main IEM review just to show the similarities and dissimilarities of the other IEMs so that one can easily understand what user wants if he wants to upgrade.

Tai has nowhere mentioned the name of RE-400 in his Altone200 review and you are saying that Tai mentioned the altones and the RE400 actually have a similar signature which Tai has actually remarked in the review.

Re-400 and Altone200 has different sound signature.

Joker and tai uses a scoring system based on their preferences of SQ!! At the end one might still find their own preferences different!! Similarities and differences is just an extension of ones preferences....are you really small in the head yourself to take their reviews in any other manner??

And I can actually confirm you are blind when tai has actually put the altone 200 in the same category as the re400 that is warm+sweet signature

I am tired arguing!! Read the review again the altones and the re400 have the same signature, at least to tai!! You have not even heard the altones... I mean seriously what the foot are you ranting about .. Just can't convince myself to go any lower in IQ than this...so suit yourself with the below post that is part of the review!!

Last edited:
Tai has nowhere mentioned the name of RE-400 in his Altone200 review and you are saying that Tai mentioned the altones and the RE400 actually have a similar signature which Tai has actually remarked in the review.

Re-400 and Altone200 has different sound signature.
:clapping:

See for yourself your highness Mr blindness!!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-07-24-22-51-06.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-07-24-22-51-06.jpg
    6.6 KB · Views: 82

Joker and tai uses a scoring system based on their preferences of SQ!! At the end one might still find their own preferences different!! Similarities and differences is just an extension of ones preferences....are you really small in the head yourself to take their reviews in any other manner??

And I can actually confirm you are blind when tai has actually put the altone 200 in the same category as the re400 that is warm+sweet signature

I am tired arguing!! Read the review again the altones and the re400 have the same signature, at least to tai!! You have not even heard the altones... I mean seriously what the foot are you ranting about .. Just can't convince myself to go any lower in IQ than this...so suit yourself with the below post that is part of the review!!

Kindly read what I have written thoroughly and now read what you have written..now read again!!.. Are not they planets apart?
There is no mention of Sq in my post so Why can't I compare the re400 and the altones?? There is no mention of SQ in my post is there!!?

All audience want a great deal for their Money they put in and that is the basis of my post. I have had various TWFK iems and know they can't do bad!! To get a dynamic driver along with it is just class leading if anything..especially for that kinda money!!

The re400 is great vfm and in many ways my idea for what a bargain should be like. But then altones came in!! I doubted the altones for poor SQ until clieos confirmed they are top of the list!!

P.S> please stop injecting your own bias into my posts!

Hi again by 'bias' i mean your point and again on unawareness that you seem to hug around this forum.

You have judged your own reply as 'good' which is 10 feet too short but I find your point on not comparing 2 Iems based on target audience a load of horse poop!!

While I know somethings are marketed with terms like 'audiophile' and 'reference', I really do not think those companies care what sort is the buyer ... consumer or pro! There is a large leap of space between intention and its effect!
But for the sake of argument, Clieos at In-Ear Matters(link above which I am sure you have not checked) has declared the Altone 200 to be a more friendly and consumer oriented version of the Tpeos H-200 which falls in the same category as the RE-400, consumer oriented sound! He has infact grouped it with the RE-400 in regard to Sound Signature(Warm+Sweet).!

But my shock here is the complex architecture they are able to offer for such a price. I have not heard the Altones myself just amazed at its price! I acknowledge that there is only one way to judge audio,viz. one's preferences but more drivers especially from a tried & tested company like Tpeos means a promise to me in many ways!!

P.S> Let me apologize as I came across as harsh in tone which I did not intend to convey.

Chao,
~A

:clapping:

See for yourself your highness Mr blindness!!

Hi Turgid,

I was on Head-Fi looking at Reviews / Comments about the Altone 200...a google search got me to this thread. Thanks for engaging people in a dialogue on what appears to be a very good IEM. Your passion for IEMs is evident.

That said, not sure what triggered the 'back and forth' between you and Abhi which is hard to follow to some extent. But for my .02, it seems counter-productive - especially when it degenerates into name calling. In the end, it may turn potential viewers away from a thread that could help them make a great IEM purchase...which would be a shame!

Anyway, regarding some of the points that you and Abhi discussed; a couple thoughts...just my opinion/view.

While I value the work and opinions of Tyll, ljokerl, ClieOS, and other 'experts', they aren't the end all, be all. Each has their own biases / preferences that color their reviews / rankings / declarations. My thought is that they provide useful information to be considered in relation to other reviews, etc.

On the one hand, your 'small in the head' comment to Abhi about 'differences / preferences' acknowledges this. Yet shortly thereafter, it appears you're holding up ClieOS' Ranking List declaration that the RE400 and Altone200 are the same sound signature as authoritative...simply to beat Abhi into submission...this confuses me a bit.

FWIW, I'd use ClieOS's list to illustrate the point that we all hear differently and should take each other's opinions with a huge grain of salt. His list also says the RE-ZERO and the TripleFi 10s are in the same sound signature -- 'Balanced'.

I've owned both of these IEMs for a while and don't agree with his categorization. My view? The RE-ZERO is 'Balanced' but boring for the most part (prefer the HF5) and the TF10s are more 'Fun'. Many Head-Fiers use the terms 'Fun' and 'V shaped' for the TF10 -- including ljokerl.

Lastly, I love a hi-fi bargain as well. However, I got into headphones/IEMs because of my love for music. Being able to own so many different 'sound signatures' for a fraction of the cost of my stereo equipment has allowed me to more fully experience my music collection.

I am grateful for this hobby every day and hope that others get the chance to re-discover their music collections as well by reading threads like yours that spread the latest good news about a high value headphone.

Hi Turgid,

I was on Head-Fi looking at Reviews / Comments about the Altone 200...a google search got me to this thread. Thanks for engaging people in a dialogue on what appears to be a very good IEM. Your passion for IEMs is evident.

That said, not sure what triggered the 'back and forth' between you and Abhi which is hard to follow to some extent. But for my .02, it seems counter-productive - especially when it degenerates into name calling. In the end, it may turn potential viewers away from a thread that could help them make a great IEM purchase...which would be a shame!

Anyway, regarding some of the points that you and Abhi discussed; a couple thoughts...just my opinion/view.

While I value the work and opinions of Tyll, ljokerl, ClieOS, and other 'experts', they aren't the end all, be all. Each has their own biases / preferences that color their reviews / rankings / declarations. My thought is that they provide useful information to be considered in relation to other reviews, etc.

On the one hand, your 'small in the head' comment to Abhi about 'differences / preferences' acknowledges this. Yet shortly thereafter, it appears you're holding up ClieOS' Ranking List declaration that the RE400 and Altone200 are the same sound signature as authoritative...simply to beat Abhi into submission...this confuses me a bit.

FWIW, I'd use ClieOS's list to illustrate the point that we all hear differently and should take each other's opinions with a huge grain of salt. His list also says the RE-ZERO and the TripleFi 10s are in the same sound signature -- 'Balanced'.

I've owned both of these IEMs for a while and don't agree with his categorization. My view? The RE-ZERO is 'Balanced' but boring for the most part (prefer the HF5) and the TF10s are more 'Fun'. Many Head-Fiers use the terms 'Fun' and 'V shaped' for the TF10 -- including ljokerl.

Lastly, I love a hi-fi bargain as well. However, I got into headphones/IEMs because of my love for music. Being able to own so many different 'sound signatures' for a fraction of the cost of my stereo equipment has allowed me to more fully experience my music collection.

I am grateful for this hobby every day and hope that others get the chance to re-discover their music collections as well by reading threads like yours that spread the latest good news about a high value headphone.

Thank you! That's all I was trying to explain him but don't know why he started fighting with me and using bad language against me. But still, it's ok with me.

I told him in a different way that ClieOS categorization of different IEMs in a same sound signature doesn't make them sound similar.

But sad to see that mods/admin of this forum has given me a warning and deleted all my posts in which I have never abused any member of this forum till to date.

Hi to Mr truce seeker and abhi himself...my first post here is just so that some of you can end up catching the bargain !!and not commenting on the SQ whatsoever coz simply I have not heard it. I compared the deal to the re400 coz its another bargain in my opinion
I don't really know why abhi started ranting on the target audience stuff when he himself has not heard the iem. I am just comparing bargains and not the IEMs!! Have you missed this point greame and how abhis post and his basis of comparison is just not in anyway related to mine??
If you think my resorting to clieos is some kinda forced submission ..you are miles away from my intention!!
Any review is just an approximation to your purchase....what it sounds like is actually up to you and your ear.

What I find counter productive to your honorable self is that some.one is making up an argument on something that he has not heard or auditioned....I feel silly.

Abhi......you can add the warning from the mods as another 'qualification '... Just kidding :D

Have a great day

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back