• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Wanted Tracking force gauge

Rega

Naturelover

Staff member
Hello,
Looking for a tracking force gauge for my turntable, the Scheu Cello.
Thanks

BUYING, SELLING or TRADING indicates your automatic and mandatory acceptance of HiFiVISION.COM Trading Rules and Guidelines!

Do not blindly trust every seller or buyer! Protect yourself by following the below safe trading tips.

Safety Tips

For Buyers

1. Always meet the seller at a safe location and inspect the item before purchasing. Following this one rule will help you avoid most scams.
  2. Watch out for unrealistic offers. If it appears too good to be true, it probably is. Unrealistic offers are used to motivate purchasers to make hasty decisions.
  3. Always verify the seller's credentials. Ask the seller to provide a photo ID and proof of address.
  4. Ensure that the product you are buying is not stolen or fake. Always ask for a purchase invoice.
  5. The best way to transact is to collect the item and pay at the same time. Never transfer funds or use a debit/credit/atm card to pay someone you do not know before collecting an item.
  6. Ask for clear information on condition of the item, price, payment and delivery method.
  7. Use only those payment methods that you trust and are familiar with. Never give out your financial information.
  8. It is recommended to purchase items directly from the seller.
  9. Always test the functioning of the item before purchase.
  10. Do your research on comparative prices for the product.

For Sellers

1. Try to take the full payment at the time of the delivery. Remember to use a safe location to meet.
  2. Watch out for fake currency and money orders. Be aware that banks will not honour fake currency/money order and will hold you responsible for it.
  3. Verify the buyer’s credentials if necessary.
  4. Ensure that your product meets the features you list in your ad to avoid any misunderstanding with the buyer.
  5. It is your responsibility to prove that the product you are selling is genuine and not stolen by providing the necessary proof of purchase.
  6. Do not share your financial information except the one required for payment.

greenhorn

google for digital weighing scale - get the one with .01g resolution
they're available on ecommerce sites for ~300
accurate too - I weighed my engagement ring, and it came up with the same weight as the one at the jewelers shop

soundbuff

Greenhorn,
I presume '300' is in rupees? That would be cheap. Could you please give the link if possible. I use the Shure mechanical gauge which is readily available and reasonable good.

Naturelover

Staff member
google for digital weighing scale - get the one with .01g resolution
they're available on ecommerce sites for ~300
accurate too - I weighed my engagement ring, and it came up with the same weight as the one at the jewelers shop

Thanks. I have such a scale but it is too thick to have it on the platter while measuring. I need a low profile gauge.

jls001

why not take the platter off, and use something else to adjust for the height until it lines up?

+1.

I do this all the time. It's a bit of extra work but allows one to take correct measurement (cartridge must be at the same level as when it's tracing the record groove).

arj

Arj
Staff member
I use this to go with the mood but thats not rational just a minor OCD to keep it all Analogue :eek:

greenhorn

Naturelover

Staff member
The Scheu Cello is driven by a thin nylon thread which goes round the platter in a groove. Not sure if I will be comfortable removing it.
You can just about see it in this picture. This is not the Cello but has a similar arrangement.
why not take the platter off, and use something else to adjust for the height until it lines up?

+1.

I do this all the time. It's a bit of extra work but allows one to take correct measurement (cartridge must be at the same level as when it's tracing the record groove).

analogadikt

Thanks. I have such a scale but it is too thick to have it on the platter while measuring. I need a low profile gauge.

Take a thin Al sheet and bend it in a Z profile. Stick one side to the scale with blue-tak. You can now position the scale near the platter or atop it in such a way that the Al extension is over the platter at almost the same height.

Regards,

Naturelover

Staff member
Great idea! Thanks a lot.

Take a thin Al sheet and bend it in a Z profile. Stick one side to the scale with blue-tak. You can now position the scale near the platter or atop it in such a way that the Al extension is over the platter at almost the same height.

Regards,

jls001

Regards,

I did this with a rigid but thin sheet of plastic. Initially I thought it worked well but later I realised that it messed with the accuracy of measurement. For example, with the plastic sheet glued to the top of the scale, it ought to show X grams constantly when no other weight is placed on the scale (X grams being the weight of the plastic sheet), but it showed zero:eek:

So I reverted to the tedious method as I could not be sure whether the scale took care of the constant offset or not.

Naturelover: you can stack some blocks of appropriate height between platter and arm at rest position, and place your scale on the blocks, so that you can measure the tracking weight at the correct height. That's the method I use:lol:
Or you can invest in the Shure scale shown by arj. It works really well. I have the plastic version from ProJect which doesn't have movable weight arrangement like the Shure.

Last edited:

greenhorn

I'm ok using it on the platter, because even with the tonearm lifted by an inch or so , if my knowledge of physics is correct, the tracking force will be offset by only cosine of the VTA, which should be within 5-10 degrees, and consequently the error would be <1%

arj

Arj
Staff member
Does it matter if the tonearm is not straight ? in a balance the force by the crtridge should be the same irrespective of if it is straight or not right ?
i just remove the record and put it on the mat directly for the weight. anyway tracking weight is also a range usually. although i choose 10% below the upper end to take care of any human/zero error

Naturelover

Staff member
Just made a quick check outside of the platter. Cart at approx platter level and raised by approximate gauge thickness. The difference came to near about 15%.
These are very rough measurements merely to see if there is a wide variation.

Reactions: arj

omishra

That jewelers scale works well. I put it at place near to platter and tonearm just leaves armrest. So it could lay center on scale. For precaution i use cover on cartridge and adjust it with its 0.25gm considered.

omishra

Just made a quick check outside of the platter. Cart at approx platter level and raised by approximate gauge thickness. The difference came to near about 15%.
Was antiskate set to zero?

jls001

This is my observation too hence I insist on measuring at "cartridge tracing record" level. As greenhorn noted, I also found this absurd and didn't have an explanation but I've observed it consistently.