Trance Lover's Speaker Quest

vectorhawk

Hi all

My room size is about 17 x 11 feet.. with a double bed at the centre and a floor high wallsized shelf on one wall which has a door. And 11 feet wide (Full width) window on the other wall.

I am a trance music fan and listen to Armin Van Buurens State of Trance and DJ Tiestos Club Life episodes which are released every week. This being about 90% of the music I listen to. Apart from this I listen to lounge, instrumental, fusion music from artists like Buddha Bar, Anoushka Shankar, Ravi Sharma, etc. but this is just about 10% of the time.

I seek your valuable suggestions for a good music setup. Preferably, two speakers and an amp (with a woofer, if you suggest).. My priority is the quality of music.. No budget constraints as such but still would prefer toppin it off between 1L to 1.5L..

I have thought about Bose 901s but I think they may be too big for my room. Have heard Wharfedale 9 series with Marantz Receiver at a friends place, they seem ok. Another friend had Bose 301s with Yamaha Amp and really used to love their sound..

These are intended to be used primarily for music as a standalone music system. I look forward to your inputs. Thank you in advance.. :)

Ohh yes, I also would appreciate inputs for equipment to play the music.. All my stuff is in mp3 format on my external HDD. Is there anythig worthwhile in the market that i could directly to my HDD and the speaker system and play it all... i dont mind buying a special HDD just for the sake of the music system.. or anything you guys suggest.. My music folder will be about 50 GB as of today and growin.. :)

Thanks again guys..

Hi all

My room size is about 17 x 11 feet.. with a double bed at the centre and a floor high wallsized shelf on one wall which has a door. And 11 feet wide (Full width) window on the other wall.

I am a trance music fan and listen to Armin Van Buurens State of Trance and DJ Tiestos Club Life episodes which are released every week. This being about 90% of the music I listen to. Apart from this I listen to lounge, instrumental, fusion music from artists like Buddha Bar, Anoushka Shankar, Ravi Sharma, etc. but this is just about 10% of the time.

I seek your valuable suggestions for a good music setup. Preferably, two speakers and an amp (with a woofer, if you suggest).. My priority is the quality of music.. No budget constraints as such but still would prefer toppin it off between 1L to 1.5L..

I have thought about Bose 901s but I think they may be too big for my room. Have heard Wharfedale 9 series with Marantz Receiver at a friends place, they seem ok. Another friend had Bose 301s with Yamaha Amp and really used to love their sound..

These are intended to be used primarily for music as a standalone music system. I look forward to your inputs. Thank you in advance.. :)

Check out the Speakers from Cerwin Vega , JBL, Klipsch and Polk Audio. These speakers have very good Low end and can satisfy the Trance fans. For amplifiers look for Yamaha and Rotel. Even Bose with Yamaha is not a bad option for Trance and lounge Music. Have a Blast dude.:yahoo:

Ohh, thank you for the replies, guys...

Soundofmusic, theres many many models in all those brands... could you please help me with specific model numbers? Any website you visit will have literally scores of models... is quite confusin to go thru all... please help me with model numbers... you say, bose with yamaha is good; how about bose 301 with their SA-3 ampli, any idea about that combination?

audiodelic, thanks for the tip... will look them up... :)

hi vector hawk,

try the cervin vega's CLS215 speakers, they should suffice for the sound you are looking for. Check the link out.

CLS-215 | cerwinvega.com

CLS215_LG.jpg

These also won't need very high amplification as their sensitivity is a deadly 97db's :)

Last edited:
Look out for Bowers & Wilkins speakers,,, Mordaunt SHort Mezzo 6/8, Mordaunt SHort Aviano 6/8 speakers.... and Marantz amps (PM8003) .. or even higher... go for Emotiva Amps.. UPA2 or XPA 2.... I am sure u will reach the trance level after listening to dese combos...

Ohh, thank you for the replies, guys...

Soundofmusic, theres many many models in all those brands... could you please help me with specific model numbers? Any website you visit will have literally scores of models... is quite confusin to go thru all... please help me with model numbers... you say, bose with yamaha is good; how about bose 301 with their SA-3 ampli, any idea about that combination?

audiodelic, thanks for the tip... will look them up... :)

for my room size, wouldnt bookshelfs be okay or do you suggest Floorstanders?? It would be pointless if i would be using just about 20-30% of the total energy deliverable by the speakers!!

Thank you all for your inputs though... really appreciate it..

Klipsch RB-61 or RB-81 you would no be disappointed with these especially for trance. These are bookshelves and it shud suffice for your room size.

Any decent amp would be able to drive these. I would suggest a tube amp even though your preference of music is trance coz these speakers need very lil power to drive them anythg more and it could be bad for your ears and possible your neighbours too. :)

i am giving the details of its India distributor which I got from their website below and they would be able to tell you regarding the availability in Mumbai.

CINERAMA PVT LTD
16A Industrial Suburb
2Nd Stage, Yeshwantpur
Bangalore 560022
India
Phone: 0091 80 233 70220

RB-81 II Bookshelf Speaker - Overview

Last edited:
Listening Trance or techno I am completely satisfied with PSB Image B6. I would suggest you to have an audition. Dealer member "Lakozy Electronics" would be able to help you in audition.

Last edited:
Second Rem on the Klipsch Book Shelves, you can get their demo at Linking Road, Bandra @ Cinebels. Meet Manoj & he will give you a good demo of the speakers. Wonder how a tube amp will sound though as far as trance is concerned :rolleyes: but no harm in trying :)
Cinebels only use marantz receivers/amps though.

Denom you are right in saying tube amp may not be good for trance. I just suggested that since it was Klipsch. I have seen people suggesting Jolida tube amps for these.

For trance as you said he could go for Marantz or NAD in the lower range.
PSB would be a really good all rounder would be good for all kinds of music.

Ideally OP should listen to Klipsch, PSB and Cerwin vega before taking the call.

Brother, you might want to go for floorstanders as the LFE you need might not be come from a bookshelf. The furniture and curtains in your room should be able to take care of boominess.

While most floorstanders would be able to provide good bass, what you might want to focuss is on the treble side. Bad speakers combined with trance music can give you an ear fatigue in no time. I would be careful with Klipsh or Cerwin Vega (even Usher at the higher end for that matter) with your choice of music. Let me be quick in adding that they are awesome speakers without doubt, its just your musical taste. Try PSB like suggested earlier, Monitor Audio is another option.

One more approach would be to go for bookshelves and combine them with a good subwoofer. In the bookshelves, check out Epos.

On the amplification front, look at Marantz, NAD (Though you might find it a bit bright), and Creek. I have not really heard Yammy 2-channel amps but if the music quality of their AVRs is anything to go by, they are definitely an option.

Surprised, no one is talking about a nice powered sub which i think is must for trance............but again music is very personal :)

Well, first i would like to finalize the speakers... a matching amp will be pondered over subsequently..

for Floorstanders, my primary concern is the boominess... the speakers are intended to face the walls with no furniture or curtains... i may need to apply some porous wallpaper or something like that which unfortunately is not something i look forward to...

anyways, all your suggestions are welcome... really appreciate it, guys...

anybody there who has the same taste of music and has a setup to suggest from his own experience?!

can anybody comment on these combinations:

Bose 301 + Bose SA-3 amp + a subwoofer (if its possible to connect it)

Wharfedale pair of bookshelves or floor standers with a sub and a compatible ampli <-- if so which wharfedale model/range and which amp?

"Price for PSB T 6 loudspeaker is Rs:71925/- incl of all taxes
with NAD C356 Rs 44000/-" <--- quotation for PSB T6 speakers in mumbai

any suggestions for above?

why don't you start demoing the options given to you???? Best judge for whats good for you is YOU!!! Take your fav Cd's & head to the stores having the speakers discussed here & then take a call.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back