Traveling to US: help needed in HTiB/ AVR Purchase

snorkel4u

Hi All,

So I have a good friend of mine who is going to US just for a month and is traveling relatively light. He has agreed to go the extra mile and get me any "heavy" Hi-Fi units that I am interested in.

Extra baggage and Customs, of course I have to bear, if any.

So, my history @ HFV, I started with getting a Onkyo 5300/ 7200 from US earlier. But then gave up the idea when it came to logistics, customs, shipping etc.

Not to add, the loss of warranty and the cost of the extra step down transformer.

Also jsanand, put some sense into my head and advised me to go with a trusted, risk free and not-too-expensive option of Onkyo 3300 and that too from India for 22-23K. This seemed a good deal. But then some one put a word in my ear about getting a yamaha/ Denon 1311/ 1611 AVR and then a nice set of Polk speakers.

Now I am confused. I still have my friend who is going to US and that seems a tempting option.

My budget is 30K max. I already have a PLayON HD media Player and a P42V20D Full HD Plasma TV.

My usage is 70% Movies and 30% for Music. As I already have a BOSE Sounddock and Companion series so they get along well with the Audio. but once in a while I would like to enjoy music on loud speakers as well.

I need a complimenting HT for the same.

Now can you guys help me out with deciding whether I should get
a.) Onkyo HT 5300 from US and then get a Step down transformer here (Active Sub, more future proof than 3300, total around 25K)
b.) Only get a decent AVR (Denon etc) from USA and then get the speakers from India?
c.) Vice versa of (b), i.e. get the Speakers from USA and AVR from India?

Like I said my total budget is at 30K for now,and I can't stretch it anymore.

Do you guys think, it makes any sense to still get anything from US or just buy everything from India itself?

Thanks in Advance for your inputs!

Last edited:
My usage is 70% Music and 30% for Music. As I already have a BOSE Sounddock and Companion series so they get along well with the Audio. but once in a while I would like to enjoy music on loud speakers as well.

It will be easy if you say 100% Music :lol:. I will opt for option B.

Thanks for the correction. So if its just an AVR (a sigh of relief for my friend as well), then which one should it be? Denon 1611? Is it better than Onkyo 5300/3300's AVR?

I will dig in the forums and find out the differences, I know there're many threads.

Get the AVR from USa... U will get Denon 1911 within 30k there..
Speakers are bulky so u hav to pay extra baggage...and mishandling at the airports might damage dem....So its advisable to for the AVR....

Thanks Hemant,
I checked the Amazon price for Denon 1911, one step advanced than the 1611. Its 385 $ including free shipping in US, so thats 18500/- Approx

I also liked these features

---> Up-Scaling to 1080p
The receiver also upscales standard-definition video inputs to a 1080p HD signal. You'll be able to enjoy older media, such as VCR and DVD, in richer detail. It also allows you to connect all of your devices to your TV with a single HDMI cable, reducing cable clutter.

--> Powered Sub woofer, so better BASS sound than the 3300 (still not sure how much can I ask my neighbors to handle) lol.
--> iPhone connectivity.
--> The Denon has Audyssey Multi-Eq, which automatically calibrates the receiver for use in your room (a mic is provided). The Onkyo has a similar but less versatile Audyssey 2EQ.

I'll need to get a demo of the 1911 in Delhi/ NCR and get a feel of it.

Last edited:
Hi All,

So I have a good friend of mine who is going to US just for a month and is traveling relatively light. He has agreed to go the extra mile and get me any "heavy" Hi-Fi units that I am interested in.

Extra baggage and Customs, of course I have to bear, if any.

So, my history @ HFV, I started with getting a Onkyo 5300/ 7200 from US earlier. But then gave up the idea when it came to logistics, customs, shipping etc.

Not to add, the loss of warranty and the cost of the extra step down transformer.

Also jsanand, put some sense into my head and advised me to go with a trusted, risk free and not-too-expensive option of Onkyo 3300 and that too from India for 22-23K. This seemed a good deal. But then some one put a word in my ear about getting a yamaha/ Denon 1311/ 1611 AVR and then a nice set of Polk speakers.

Now I am confused. I still have my friend who is going to US and that seems a tempting option.

My budget is 30K max. I already have a PLayON HD media Player and a P42V20D Full HD Plasma TV.

My usage is 70% Movies and 30% for Music. As I already have a BOSE Sounddock and Companion series so they get along well with the Audio. but once in a while I would like to enjoy music on loud speakers as well.

I need a complimenting HT for the same.

Now can you guys help me out with deciding whether I should get
a.) Onkyo HT 5300 from US and then get a Step down transformer here (Active Sub, more future proof than 3300, total around 25K)
b.) Only get a decent AVR (Denon etc) from USA and then get the speakers from India?
c.) Vice versa of (b), i.e. get the Speakers from USA and AVR from India?

Like I said my total budget is at 30K for now,and I can't stretch it anymore.

Do you guys think, it makes any sense to still get anything from US or just buy everything from India itself?

Thanks in Advance for your inputs!

You may consider to buy used A/V recvr on website AudiogoN high-end Audio for sale, high end HiFi classifieds, audiophile auctions, audio forums
which is a US bsed site and offer used hi-end audio and a/v gears at very attractive prices . My experience has been good over last many years on this site. The reason I am suggeting this to you is : with your tight budget of 30k INR , you will get better value of a/v recvr.

Guys,

A friend of mine is coming from USA in mid-June. He is willing to carry electronics for me.

* What AVR should i get ? AVR budget 20k. Overall budget 80k-100k

* Anything else that i can get from there ?

Cheers

Guys,

A friend of mine is coming from USA in mid-June. He is willing to carry electronics for me.

* What AVR should i get ? AVR budget 20k. Overall budget 80k-100k

* Anything else that i can get from there ?

Cheers

Denon 1911 .....368$ (~17000INR) ,,, get the speakers here in India.... u will save around 20k for the speakers if u get the denon from US... its abbt 38 here...

Thanks guys...

I bought the denon 1911 from US for 380 total...
The above price doesnt include 20$ shipping...

You can get it 10$ cheaper, for 380$ on Crutchfield... I bought mine from there... there might be cheaper one's on eBay as well.. not sure....

And yes, its a beautiful AVR!

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back