Tree trunk as LP?

ranjeetrain

Read this interesting article about trunk of a tree being sliced up and put on a record player. The article describes the sound as "Hauntingly Beautiful".

This will never make a standard medium but an interesting read nonetheless. Kudos to the people for trying this out.

Do watch the video. It indeed sounds good :)

[IMG2]http://i.vimeocdn.com/video/204908177_640.jpg[/IMG2]

The rings are concentric and not a single groove like on a LP, how does the stylus 'read' all the rings ?

It must be wonderful not to be a cynic! :eek: :lol:

First, isn't it peculiar how all that results in something that sounds harmonious? Scales, chords and all.

What I see is some sort of light source and eye, with the tree rings passing under it. It is not following the rings as such and, as Shivam points out, that would only go around in the circle of one ring anyway.

So, I'll start the guess bidding with... variable optical impulses feeding synthesiser circuitry. The notes produced must have been programmed in there, otherwise I don't see how it could be anything but cacophony.

Putting away the cynic hat, and donning the art hat... in a way, it still works. It is a kind of transformation of that pattern into sound. Every tree slice is going to play a different "tune!"

I had always thought defects in media would make horrible artifacts that are not music... (0:50 and 0:55) That is a lot worse than a plain scratch :lol:

This reminded me of a Jethro Tull album cover from the days of yore.

Attachments

• JethroTull-SongsFromTheWood-Inside.jpg
    JethroTull-SongsFromTheWood-Inside.jpg
    13.1 KB · Views: 39
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back