Trouble with my nakamichi dragon

rupy

Hi,
My Nakamichi Dragon cassette deck is sounding dull.I have cleaned the head,but it made no difference.Can anyone help?
Thanks.

I think with nakamichi dragon you can use preamp section by inputing source in to it. this way you can tell if it is head or preamp section problem.

Thanks Hiten,
I think the trouble is with the head alignment or bias or something like that.How can I resolve this?
Thanks.

Head alignment I guess should be easy. I have done it on my cassette deck. But what is head bias ? How can one adjust it ?

Dear Hiten,

The Dragon has a system for the current flow adjustment to the tape head for recording and playback of cassettes of type types.

Check the BIAS current .......I have my Nakamichi DRAGON which has the same problem.......if the Record / Playback head gets damaged than the same thing can happen......can you calibrate the Bias Current at Level 0 in the Meter before you start recording, if it fluctuates then its a BIAS Current Problem......

Thanks Deba,
I think the trouble is with the cassette opening door.This seems to be out of alignment.The playback seems to be OK towards the left side,but gets muddy when playing the right play button.

That means your auto azimuth alignment is not working when the cassette playback shifts from one direction to another.This is a very common problem with DRAGON and thus Nakamichi shifted to Manual Azimuth like in the CR7 deck which is much better.

I have serviced almost the entire range of Nakamichi decks!!!. Wonderful machines but highly sensitive to rough usage and not tropicalised!! You would need proper test tapes to make a factory alignment but since that would be difficult to procure you can use your best tape and adjust the azimuth to play well in both directions.

Once done do de-magnetize your heads!!!!!!!!!. This is the main cause for dull reproduction. Bias currents etc. are adjusted only in the recording mode. Trust this answers your quwry.

Cheers

Nagraj

Thanks Nagraj,
I do not have a demag tape.How can you help me in getting one.
Thanks.

Some of the cassette maufacturers like TDK, Maxell, Sony used to market head demagnetizing cassettes which could be played like ordinary cassettes to demagnetize the head. You could first ask at the audio dealers in Sector 17. If they don't have it, take the help of forum members in one of the metros. I'm sure they'll be glad to help.

Best of luck and regards.

you are using the system a long time???? my be the head is coverd with dusty . or the head is make to minor line on the head ,

NAK Dragon's are nototrious for NAAC problems...

That said, your first step is to give the head a thorough clean going as far as to remove the pressure pad lifter and cleaning.

If that does not solve the issue then I have a feeling your NAAC is malfunctioning which can cause that muddy sound (has happened to me before)...

Your best bet is to get the deck re-calibrated but without the right calibration tapes and other gear it is hard to do that and I doubt you will get all that in India...Even here in the US it is hard to do that without going to reputable folks like ESLabs (really high $$$ - usually repair cost is higher than the deck itself) or Willy Hermann...

Issues with the NAAC is why I perfer the CR7 over the Dragon (I happen to own both) - at least that part is manual and so less to go wrong...

Hi,

Kalam of Chittaranjan Park, New Delhi was recommended to me as a competent mechanic for audio equipment. Has anyone got his cassette deck serviced from him? How good is he and how expensive? I have a Nakamichi RX-202 that needs servicing.

Regards.

Last edited:
AK have banned my office - Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here

Use a spirit to clean the head. THere are many cleaning detergents which are non-volatile that can clean for this purpose. Don't forget to use a brush with it! It helps

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back