True Wireless - the new confusion

Glyde71

First it was the wired ones .. then the bluetooth with the small wire round the ... and now these rascals - TWS or True Wireless...

over the years I've bought around 8-10 wired in-ears of various grades, from run-of-the-mill to studio pros (senn, beyer, bose, shure) the lot.
Around 2-3 BTs - Samsungs, Jabra and couple others recently.

The only ones i never i've been reasonably sure of my decision have been my overhead cans - have about 4 solid pairs. with a few good headphone amps.

Y'all must be thinking of the hindi proverb - Nalaayak ka busta bhaari.. and you'd be right... its the consequence of poor advise or not taking any in some cases.

I don't want to go down this binge buying spiral on this one.
Today there is plethora of these to choose from - headfonezone, amazon etc. are awash with them.

The confusion - what is criteria to judge - which makes most sense to buy. I've watched several reviews of several models. I've sampled quite a few myself. some of the sub 8000 sounded better than some 20K plus ones. Invariably most reputable reviewers say that connectivity, sound quality, built quality, battery are the key factors, in that order. I'm quite lost on what is good price to pay and what constitutes 'good' TWS.

want to get out of this abyss..

Nice post ! can completely underatand where you are coming from, having gone through a number of in-ears. Since ive lost/misplaced so many of them its perhaps better that i have tried mostly the budget end, with the most expensive ones being Klipsch.
Have found a way out of the "abyss" on the very sensible advice of my better half who has correctly observed that a scatterbrain like me would be losing/misplacing a pair of TWS every week !
I have also found Bluetooth in general to be a very fussy,glitchy and inconsistent interface.
Thought there are generic products avaialbe quite cheap, im willimg to wait this out for the hype around the product to settle down and the prices to reach saner levels. 25k for Sennheiser Momemtum is bonkers in my opinion, specially if theres a risk that one of them goes missing .....

First it was the wired ones .. then the bluetooth with the small wire round the ... and now these rascals - TWS or True Wireless...

over the years I've bought around 8-10 wired in-ears of various grades, from run-of-the-mill to studio pros (senn, beyer, bose, shure) the lot.
Around 2-3 BTs - Samsungs, Jabra and couple others recently.

The only ones i never i've been reasonably sure of my decision have been my overhead cans - have about 4 solid pairs. with a few good headphone amps.

Y'all must be thinking of the hindi proverb - Nalaayak ka busta bhaari.. and you'd be right... its the consequence of poor advise or not taking any in some cases.

I don't want to go down this binge buying spiral on this one.
Today there is plethora of these to choose from - headfonezone, amazon etc. are awash with them.

The confusion - what is criteria to judge - which makes most sense to buy. I've watched several reviews of several models. I've sampled quite a few myself. some of the sub 8000 sounded better than some 20K plus ones. Invariably most reputable reviewers say that connectivity, sound quality, built quality, battery are the key factors, in that order. I'm quite lost on what is good price to pay and what constitutes 'good' TWS.

want to get out of this abyss..
RHA trueconnect, safe bet

Nice post ! can completely underatand where you are coming from, having gone through a number of in-ears. Since ive lost/misplaced so many of them its perhaps better that i have tried mostly the budget end, with the most expensive ones being Klipsch.
Have found a way out of the "abyss" on the very sensible advice of my better half who has correctly observed that a scatterbrain like me would be losing/misplacing a pair of TWS every week !
I have also found Bluetooth in general to be a very fussy,glitchy and inconsistent interface.
Thought there are generic products avaialbe quite cheap, im willimg to wait this out for the hype around the product to settle down and the prices to reach saner levels. 25k for Sennheiser Momemtum is bonkers in my opinion, specially if theres a risk that one of them goes missing .....

I coming around to the same thought - wait a bit. have a shortlist of the ones that make most sense.... the value-for-money factor is gonna decide it for me

RHA trueconnect, safe bet
aah ... i'll surely give it a listen .. saw one going for around 10K on headfonezone... may drop as well taking into account that many of them are now going through a price correction...bose was down to 13K a while a ago ..but only briefly ...

Cross-posting from another thread - My view on wireless headphones I have + adding 1 that I sold off

Jabra Elite 65t -
Like it for the decent SQ
hate it for the garbage call quality (at the receiver end- gone through 2 of them and the microphone/noise cancellation) is terrible
Gets uncomfortable after an hour or so

Anker Sound Core Liberty -
Like it as it came cheap and is really good for the price
On the flip side, The mids are weak.. call quality is worse than garbage..
Gets uncomfortable within 30 minutes or so

Airpods 1 and 2
Daily drivers - Love them both for the comfort (this is really really important to me, it doesn't hurt my canals like IEMs and I can comfortably use them for hours)
The SQ is acceptably good , call quality is excellent, flipping between devices is not a game of guessing which device it actually connected to when you switch it on

On the flip side, they are no good when in a noisy environment like a flight- too much background noise comes in

Plantronics Backbeat Go3

My 2nd fav

Very comfortable for an IEM (though not as comfy as airpods) , excellent SQ - probably the best of the lot I have
Call quality is acceptable though not as good as airpods
On the flip side, it is not true wireless although the connecting wires are rather unobtrusive

Given a choice to do it again. I'd probably pick the airpods 2 and Plantronics for the specific use cases they serve

Soundsport Free

Although I don't have this anymore, on 2nd thoughts I'd have retained it over the Jabra
The SQ was good and the fit was more comfy than the Jabra.
I found a ready buyer hence sold it as I preferred the comfort of the AP over this.
Hard to say if the SQ of the Plantronics is better or this as I didn't have them at the same time.

My biggest bugbear with all BT/TWS headphones (other than AirPods) is this
In my use case, I need them linked to multiple devices and need the ability to flip between them as needed (2 phones, tablet, laptop and ATV)
With all BT sets, you need to disconnect from the device it was last connected to before connecting to the one you want to.
Half the time I don't remember what device it connected to last so I need to go on a wild goose chase checking the BT settings on all devices till I find the culprit.
The Jabra can do two but good luck if the current device is the 3rd one in sequence
With the AP, I don't need to do that as it will actively disconnect from the current device if you ask another paired device to connect to it
This may seem like a small thing but makes a huge usability difference

Have a Bose tws. Call quality is excellent. Bluetooth connection stability and range is excellent too. Battery life very good. Music is reasonable.

The bose sound sport is quite good. have tried its wireless version. was very impressive. built quality was that of a premium product. no wonder it was priced as such. if its TWS sounds just as good then it sure is a beast.

Airpods 1 and 2
Daily drivers - Love them both for the comfort (this is really really important to me, it doesn't hurt my canals like IEMs and I can comfortably use them for hours)
The SQ is acceptably good , call quality is excellent, flipping between devices is not a game of guessing which device it actually connected to when you switch it on

On the flip side, they are no good when in a noisy environment like a flight- too much background noise comes in
Did you go for the AirPods Pro that came later? Because they'd take care of the only grouse you had with the APs - background noise. If you did, wonder how has been your experience? Please share.

Did you go for the AirPods Pro that came later? Because they'd take care of the only grouse you had with the APs - background noise. If you did, wonder how has been your experience? Please share.
Hey @sachinchavan 15865 .. long time!

Yes, I currently have all 3 variants i.e. the AP, AP Pro and the AP Max
The AP is a decent and comfortable earphone where you pay more for the convenience and less for the SQ.
The SQ is not bad, not particularly good either - I presume one could find far cheaper earphones with same SQ although usability and call quality is another story.

The AP Pro improves significantly on the SQ and thats the one I would recommend to most folks. There is an all round improvement across the lows, mids & highs and the noise isolation is quite splendid.
The added advantage is that the AP Pro (and the google pixel series) are the only TWSs that don’t make me feel uncomfortable due to some sort of pressure equalization vent they have .. Some people (including I) feel very uncomfrtable in other TWSs due to the positive pressure they create on the ear canal side.
I think one can find sub 10K TWSs that can comfortably compete on SQ with the AP pro but lose out on comfort and convenience.

The AP Max is a major step jump on SQ but nowhere as comfortable as the AP Pro (or vanilla AP)
As much as I like the SQ and also the Noise cancellation improvements, I can’t use it for extended periods the way I can use the AP Pros.

Hope this helps

Hey @sachinchavan 15865 .. long time!

Yes, I currently have all 3 variants i.e. the AP, AP Pro and the AP Max
The AP is a decent and comfortable earphone where you pay more for the convenience and less for the SQ.
The SQ is not bad, not particularly good either - I presume one could find far cheaper earphones with same SQ although usability and call quality is another story.

The AP Pro improves significantly on the SQ and thats the one I would recommend to most folks. There is an all round improvement across the lows, mids & highs and the noise isolation is quite splendid.
The added advantage is that the AP Pro (and the google pixel series) are the only TWSs that don’t make me feel uncomfortable due to some sort of pressure equalization vent they have .. Some people (including I) feel very uncomfrtable in other TWSs due to the positive pressure they create on the ear canal side.
I think one can find sub 10K TWSs that can comfortably compete on SQ with the AP pro but lose out on comfort and convenience.

The AP Max is a major step jump on SQ but nowhere as comfortable as the AP Pro (or vanilla AP)
As much as I like the SQ and also the Noise cancellation improvements, I can’t use it for extended periods the way I can use the AP Pros.

Hope this helps

Hi @superczar … yeah, I’ve been less active here off late. Nice hearing from you.

Many thanks for the detailed feedback on the AirPods range. You are right. I was doing some research over the past weekend and found a few (supposedly) audiophile options under 10k - like from Lypertek, Final and Nothing. There might be some more. But most of them are poor in call quality (esp. how your voice is heard on the other side). I guess this is where the Apple products shine. Even with noise cancellation the voice sounds natural. And they also offer some unique features if one has more than one Apple gadget (I have a few).

Based on this, and your feeeback, the Pro seems to be the one to go for. The venting of pressure you pointed out seems an important factor for me. I find it difficult to wear my Etymotic IEMs (what pure SQ!) for more than say half an hour. The Pro also have a better fit than the AP, which will help.

I am lookimg for something that’s more mobile. So not considering the Max.

One question - when noise cancellation is activated, how does your own voice sound to you? Does the earphone feedback a part of your voice (also called side-tone) to you? Do you sound to yourself like how you’d when you speak directly on the phone, or muffled/distant (to what extent)?

Also, though as you’ve said, one can get better SQ in lower priced phones than AP Pro, how good is the AP Pro’s sound quality in absolute terms (without considering price)? Does it, as an audiophile, engage you enough? More specifically, is it sufficiently balanced, dynamic and clear? Is it say, at least 80% of similarly priced audiophile IEMs on these counts? Does the sound quality make you forget that your are using TWS, or it constantly reminds you of it when you are intently listening to music (say during travel etc when you can focus on it)?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back