Tube buffer/gain stage

rajan-

Has anyone played around with tube buffer or gain stages ?

the idea is to make the DAC output to sound "better" feeding into the preamp (while used as a buffer, or adjust the gain as a gain stage)

Any proven / recommended ones ?

here is one I have been considering

I have used tube buffer, but it adds colouration and not to my taste. But many do like the tuby sound, especially mids, but it will depend on the tube used.
In general, buffer also helps in overcoming impedance mismatch between pre and power, especially when using a passive preamp. On such scenario the buffer should be place between the passive pre and the power amp.

Those who are just looking for the tubish sound, put the buffer after the pre and before the power amp.

That said there are some good FET-based unity gain SS buffers also like the (Nelson Pass) First Watt B1 buffer.

I needed a buffer to integrate the sources and feed more than one preamp. I built the Glassware ACF-2 buffer, based on the 6SN7. Transparent and complements the chain well. No complaints.

By the way, I built the Pass B1 before that but didn't like it. Maybe it was because my equipment is mostly Sansui's and tube at that time. With the ACF-2 they all sound great.

Hey,
If you’re still looking for suggestions the
IFI iTube 2 is a fantastic starting point for a tube buffer.
I personally liked it and ran it between my Pre and power SS Amp before I went all tubes with the Pre and power and removed it from my chain.
Cheers!

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back