Turntable Cartridge - Philips Type15 GA242/01S, 2-Speed Stsreo

UcSam

I have Philips Type 15 GA242/01S, 2-Speed Stereo Made in India Turntable. I changed cartridge from EG1400 to Classic 700 almost 25 years ago. Ever since I changed, output was pathetic and cart never settled. To save my LPs I stopped using the TT since and it has been gathering moss and mold.
1. I want to be sure if there is someone who has replaced his Cartridge on Philips Type 15 GA242/01S. Please advise what will go SAFE;
2. I also need a Belt for it. Which one would work fine?

Will be grateful if someone helps me out with this. I am in Pune.

UcSam
AF Veteran

I have Philips Type 15 GA242/01S, 2-Speed Stereo Made in India Turntable. I changed cartridge from EG1400 to Classic 700 almost 25 years ago. Ever since I changed, output was pathetic and cart never settled. To save my LPs I stopped using the TT since and it has been gathering moss and mold.
1. I want to be sure if there is someone who has replaced his Cartridge on Philips Type 15 GA242/01S. Please advise what will go SAFE;
2. I also need a Belt for it. Which one would work fine?

Will be grateful if someone helps me out with this. I am in Pune.

UcSam
AF Veteran
a cartridge replacement can have unfavorable results generally under the following circumstances:
1) mismatch of cartridge type and loading with amplifier input (which can be ruled out assuming you know your stuff :) )
2) incorrect wiring
3) incomplete circuit, especially for the LG or RG or both connectors, caused by wiring or head shell seating in tonearm
4) incomplete grounding
5) incorrect mounting in relation to overhang
6) incorrect tonearm calibration
7) improper stylus seating
8) damaged, faulty or worn stylus
and finally
9) faulty phono stage in the amp
10) faulty cartridge
Assuming you have these Top-10 pointers already covered, a good option would be to try another cartridge. There are so many 1/2 inch mount options available these days.

a cartridge replacement can have unfavorable results generally under the following circumstances:
1) mismatch of cartridge type and loading with amplifier input (which can be ruled out assuming you know your stuff :) )
2) incorrect wiring
3) incomplete circuit, especially for the LG or RG or both connectors, caused by wiring or head shell seating in tonearm
4) incomplete grounding
and finally
10) faulty cartridge
Assuming you have these Top-10 pointers already covered, a good option would be to try another cartridge. There are so many 1/2 inch mount options available these days.
Reubensum,
I did this exercise over 20 yrs ago. Some issue with the performance of Classic700 which was been concluded even by couple of professionals at delhi and Pune.
The headshell and the four coloured wires are fine. All i need is to know if there is anyone here who has replaced the cartridge on this 1/2" headshell with eliptical styli and if that is available in the market. Frankly purchasing an AT VM or VMN 95E in India would be possible for ones with deep pockets. I would rather wait for it to be brought in by someone traveling to India from west.

The next was on the Large size Belt. Since I dont have any specs nor remember the belt shape anymore, in fact even the broken belt is not available, nor any manual, which belt do I look for, and from where?

I need help with both these issues.

Incidentally, I had someone guide me with my Philips 15 GC 032 3 speed TT, nearing 50 yrs. Motor still running fine but idler wheel has lost its properties. The gentleman has led me to a fabricator in Ahmedabad who has the wheel I need. He is looking for the correct belt size and type/ tension etc and would get back to me. It turns out that this genetleman is a hardcore committed and passionate vinyle world geek. He has fabricated a TT, has some 150 english LPs which he wants to give away at throwaway price but the full lot in a go. Mr Naresh Goswami. The videos of the TT he designed and developed are large size. He sent them on whatsapp to me. I am enclosing a picture of it.

Attachments

• LPs Video.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 7
  • Designed and Developed TT.png
    Designed and Developed TT.png
    272.4 KB · Views: 21
Yes, Mr. Goswami is an amazing fabricator and tube amp veteran. He sells belts and idler wheels for various Indian turntable models. The 242 is a nice turntable, many don't bat an eyelid these days when this model is mentioned but back in 1977, it was launched in India as one for the conscious music listener. Many consider it to be India's very first high-quality turntable. This was before the Japanese direct drive rebadged turntables or turntable kits, took over the Indian upper-end market courtesy brands like Cosmic, Sonodyne and HMV (as EMI Sonic).

Good Read on the Philips 242

Nice to meet an old timer. I started off in 1975 :)

Yes, Mr. Goswami is an amazing fabricator and tube amp veteran. He sells belts and idler wheels for various Indian turntable models. The 242 is a nice turntable, many don't bat an eyelid these days when this model is mentioned but back in 1977, it was launched in India as one for the conscious music listener. Many consider it to be India's very first high-quality turntable. This was before the Japanese direct drive rebadged turntables or turntable kits, took over the Indian upper-end market courtesy brands like Cosmic, Sonodyne and HMV (as EMI Sonic).

:) 1975? That was close. You seem to be elder to me coz I had began buying vinyl from DU from around that time, one or two each year while still in school. While in service, I lost many LPs, some taken by coursemates who started their music collection with vinyl, and ofcourse, some broke. Music was almost shut as we got busy. Initially with Sonodyne and GC032, wherever I moved, the music would unpack first and then I would establish my accommodation. When GA242 came in, i wanted to upgrade into a proper system. I had seen Enn Bee during Asia72 expo and it was on my mind ever since. I also saw an EnnBee quadro in Bidar. I was still under training and there was no time for music then. LPs, cassettes, then CDs, later computer got connected to source music. The Enn Bee system took several variations. All that it lacked was USB and Bluetooth until recently, when I began missing the analogue music and those familiar LP scratches ;)

In fact, I had joined this forum sometime back in searching for answers to Enn Bee repairs. Never had the time or peace of mind to get the music system going. Happy to have found some lovers of music who hand-hold those seeking advise and help. Sincere Thanks to you.

Cheers!

What would be the cost of an idler pulley for GCO32, please. Thank you.
Incidentally, the belt is likely to cost between 850 and 1400 and will come in a set of two - Large and Small. He is unsure of the price. When he makes a visit to the factory where all kinds of belts are manufactured, he will let me know. He asked me not to make any payment for the belt as yet.

FYI
Cheers

Just an update on Goswami. He is working on manufacturing hand made stylii and carts. he had been working on it since past few years.
🤓 India has talent. Ludhiana guys seem to have moved to Gujarat.

What would be the cost of an idler pulley for GCO32, please. Thank you.
Hi,
The idler wheel reached today and installed. The diameter of the original is 40mm, but I received it at 42mm from Goswami. I tried to adjust the speed by adjusting the height of the motor/spindle.
I also installed the Toner GP-204 and both 78 and LP are working fine.
The good news is, I found a new Belt and my oldoriginal Philips Multipurpose Preamplifier 821/3PA. For now, I do not have my Enn Bee up and running, but I have a Philips 2.1 on which I will modify the 5-Pin scart to some other format by which I could play either on computer or the Philips speaker, or I have an Old Original Pioneer Valvce system radio (3-band) with magic eye and it has a PU port. Lets see. It is an exercise.
Incidentally, I used earphone buds instead of Grommet. Though they dont need C-clips, but I want to make sure the motor is safe and does not fall off. I am short by one c-clip. Ear buds work PERFECT.
BTW, I recalled I used to listen to LPs without amp those days especially on late nights before sleep. It was to make sure neighbors dont get disturbed. Trust me the clarity was great. Now that I have severe loss of hearing, I tried to keep a mob on call with another and heard from the second mob in the next room. I played Love over gold and Anne Murray. Unfortunately, some 78s have non standard centre hole and it was not fitting in the TT. I will locate the ones that fit and will play that as well and check.
I also found a GP 212 cart but old stylus still not traceable.
Adding a couple of pictures for reference. The new fabricated idler wheel and the pre-amp. I am still to ascertain the serviceability of pre-amp.

Attachments

• 20230416_010424.jpg
    20230416_010424.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230416_010333.jpg
    20230416_010333.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 21
Just an update on Goswami. He is working on manufacturing hand made stylii and carts. he had been working on it since past few years.
🤓 India has talent. Ludhiana guys seem to have moved to Gujarat.
Hi,
Goswami's wheel is working though the dia of the wheel is 42mm and the old wheel is 40mm. Even if it were 41mm and if it has worn out to be at 40mm now, I have so far been able to get close to the speed. The idler wheel reached today and installed. I tried to adjust the speed by adjusting the height of the motor/spindle.
I also installed the Toner GP-204 and both 78 and LP are working fine though 78s are yet to be checked..
The good news is, I found a new Belt and my old original Philips Multipurpose Preamplifier 821/3PA. For now, I do not have my Enn Bee system up and running, but I have a Philips 2.1 on which I will modify the 5-Pin scart to some other format by which I can play either on computer or the Philips
speaker, or I have an Old Original Pioneer Valvee system radio (3-band) with magic eye and it has a PU port. Lets see. It is an exercise.
Incidentally, I used earphone buds instead of Grommet. Though they dont need C-clips, but I want to make sure the motor is safe and does not fall off. I am short by one c-clip. Ear buds work PERFECT.
BTW, I recalled I used to listen to LPs without amp those days especially on late nights before sleep. It was to make sure neighbors dont get disturbed. Trust me the clarity was great. Now that I have severe loss of hearing, I tried to keep a mob on call with another and heard from the second mob in the next room. I played Love over gold and Anne Murray. Unfortunately, some 78s have non standard centre hole and it was not fitting in the TT. I will locate the ones that fit and will play that as well and check.
I also found a GP 212 cart but old stylus still not traceable.
Adding a couple of pictures for reference. The new fabricated idler wheel and the pre-amp. I am still to ascertain the serviceability of pre-amp.

Attachments

• 20230416_010333.jpg
    20230416_010333.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20230416_010424.jpg
    20230416_010424.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 20
2) incorrect wiring
4) incomplete grounding
and finally
10) faulty cartridge
Hi, long time.
I got both my EG1400 and Classic 700 re-tipped from Mr Mony. They shipped in yesterday. I was hopeful I would get back with some vinyl sound, BUT, one of the sleeves of the thin wires came of :mad:
🥵
Also, One Nut is misplaced. While I can get the nut from local shop, i seem to be struggling with my memory as I cant recall the colour coding and the fixing of cart to the she, that is screw and nut sequence. I plan to first start with Classic700.
I have a choice of:
1. Either solder the wire which has its tip fallen off and then mount the cart;
2. Or replace the wires and after connecting, mount the cart.

The mission seems far from being accomplished, history seems to repeat, Murphy HAS STEPPED IN.
Please advise what may be the way forward from here.

Warm Regards

Retire the old one and buy a new one. Don't have to worry about the cartridge for 2 years at least.
🙂I agree. But I need some time before the new one can make it. It could be anywhere from 4-5 months to a year. I am on a spree to repair my old systems and get my music up and playing.
I 1925 HMV101 Portable came from home scrap to life, with no spares added so far. The shellacs are waiting to be cleaned. Here is a journey of its yesterday and today and I also do not know what comes out from the shellacs. A quick glimps of it as of 23 Apr 2023 attached...

Attachments

• From Scrap to Regal.pdf
    8.7 MB · Views: 14
  • After Servicing - 23 Apr 2023.pdf
    228.8 KB · Views: 7
  • First Run post servicing-1.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 14
  • First Run post servicing-2.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 10
Hi. Great to see your avid interest in restoring the HMV 101. Hope it sounds good.
What is your experience of the retipped EG 1400 and Classic 700? Is it cost-effective soundwise to buy this rather that aftermarket ones from abroad?. Do send a photo of the detached wire and the misplaced nut( the other piece). I may have a spare and send it to you in an envelope, with my compliments.

Colour coding of carts: Red=Right channel positive; Green= Right channel earth. White= Left channel positive; Blue = Left channel earth.

Hi. Great to see your avid interest in restoring the HMV 101. Hope it sounds good.
What is your experience of the retipped EG 1400 and Classic 700? Is it cost-effective soundwise to buy this rather that aftermarket ones from abroad?. Do send a photo of the detached wire and the misplaced nut( the other piece). I may have a spare and send it to you in an envelope, with my compliments.
Hi. I missed your message. Thanks for the encouraging words on HMV101. It still sounds good, Original and the unit continues to get some grooming touches.
As for the EG1400 and Classic 700, I got stylus both re-tipped from Mr Mony (Trivandrum). he advised to keep sapphire tips and these were Chinese, unless I wanted a diamond tip. His advise - Since I had decided to buy a new TT, it does not make sense in putting a 2800 tip as opposed to a 700-800 Sapphire. I also sent two cartridges of Philips 3 Speed GC032, which were GP 204 and GP242> GP 204 was fine so he did nothing to it, but put a single chinese ceramic tip (a red case) and almost changed the entire internal casing as it had got damaged. With shipping from and to Pune, it cost me less than 2600 for all and the biggest gain is, a friend and professional in Mr Mony.
The response can not be measured as yet (cost and effort versus quality of sound), since my pre-amp 821/3PA is not a completely serviceable one and i am playing on Philips bookshelf, a 2.1 ampli-speakers. My Enn Bee is yet to come on line and waiting for one component since past many weeks One channel is down. I have tried only Classic 700 which without the Enn Bee high caliber MM/MC partially Intelligent circuit of Phono pre-amp, would not sound good. EG 1400 could sound better but Mr Mony believes both are good. he has tested the performance of sapphire to be able to deliver about 300 hrs, depending on factors you are better aware of. Have a word with him, share your side of system status and your wish-list. He may be able to advise you the best way out. He is 87 yrs old, started repairing systems at the age of 13. A marvelous gentleman I enjoy speaking with.
Incidentally My HMV101 sounds better ;) . So it isnt the cart/stylus that could be questioned, but the pre-amp because even the 3-speed GC032 is also sounding worst than the broken gramophone.
BTW, I managed to solder that one thin wire to top right pin as viewed from the rear. It reminds me of an old poster i used to have in my room as a bachelor - Ïn my room, the following rules apply...."... in short, nothing needs to be moved from wherever it is lying however unkempt it may look, as I wont be able to find it even, the scorpion is not replaceable ;)
So not much update, nor encouraging as yet.
Just to add and share with you, since you had been supporting since the beginning, I have invested in a Bosch GRO cordless (equivalent of a Dremel) and a GSB 185 Li Cordless to become a handy tools to catch up with several things I wanted to do. They need more Lieutenants like Wood Cutter, Bench, Sander, Polisher, Planer.... which I realised would keep taking away my affordability of AudioTechnica 120 further into next 5yr plan, so I am keeping busy in studying how to build these addons on my own. One of the tasks is making ampli-Speakers which I plan to finally sell with the GA242 for anyone wanting to acquire a ready to play system. If the success with speakers would be encouraging, I will add to my existing speaker system as the amp is capable of adding 4 times the existing speaker setup. They may take a couple of years to study and understand and yet still, it will be a rookie speaker set.
Will keep the furnace building the steam :)
Solong!

Last edited:
Colour coding of carts: Red=Right channel positive; Green= Right channel earth. White= Left channel positive; Blue = Left channel earth.
It was the Red link which had broken. For now, I had soldered and it is holding the fort because of its will-power after all these years also. It sure is a challenging nerve testing activity requiring patience unlimited. 🤓

That's Real Antique. Will require lot of efforts to renew it. Hopefully you are able to get the parts required. best of luck.
Luckily, the old fiber (desi-Ghee) saved my day. She is a old blond still going strong, still attractive and as always, confusing onlookers 😄🙌

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back