TV optical out low volume

scipath

Hi,
I have purchased a new Samsung RU7100 smart TV. The audio output I have channelled through the optical out to my minidsp 2x4 hd which goes to my stereo amplifier. I have set the sound output on TV to optical and format to PCM, since I have a stereo setup. The problem is when I play movies on Netflix, amazon prime, or hotstar app on the TV, the volume output is very low, even when it is turned high on my amp. At the same time, if I play music on spotify app, the volume is normal and music sounds as good as on my chromecast audio. So there is nothing wrong with the connections. I don't know how to fix this. There is no volume control on TV for optical out devices. I suspect the problem is with the audio format, as most of these video apps are by default 5.1, but I am not sure. I hope there is a fix. Any help is appreciated.

I see that on YouTube, most videos, the volume is normal. However, if I watch a movie I purchased on Google play movies, and I watch it on YouTube, the volume is low again. This is clearly a problem of TV apps, and not the TV itself. Even when I play Netflix through my PS4,the volume is quite low. I think the world doesn't care about stereo systems any more. I hope others have encountered this problem with TVs who can tell me the fix or a workaround. Please help!

Last edited:
I contacted Samsung support, and their suggestion was to factory reset the TV and update the software, neither of which solved the problem. I am wondering why I am not getting help in the forum. I hope I didn't start the thread under the wrong category. I will be grateful for any suggestions. Thanks.

@scipath did you find any resolution to your issue ? I'm facing the exact same issue. I have a Samsung smart TV whose optical out is going into my Marantz PM7000N, and the volume is absolutely dismal. I have to turn the volume knob on my Marantz all the way to 70+ just to make it audible enough.

This is quite common in smart TVs , mibox type android tv - optical outputs .
The solution for me personally was to use the firestick 4k to go into TV , make firestick play stereo in settings ..then take the optical output from Tv ....clear pristine stereo with ghost centre to boot .
Also firestick has the dialogue enhancer as well.
My most recent tv , lg c1 also has this problem ( albeit to a very less degree .) Basically explosions sound right but voice is barely audible ( in mibox ..it's horrible) .
Introduce the firestick 4k into the mix - Stereo direct from source.

Hi,
I have purchased a new Samsung RU7100 smart TV. The audio output I have channelled through the optical out to my minidsp 2x4 hd which goes to my stereo amplifier. I have set the sound output on TV to optical and format to PCM, since I have a stereo setup. The problem is when I play movies on Netflix, amazon prime, or hotstar app on the TV, the volume output is very low, even when it is turned high on my amp. At the same time, if I play music on spotify app, the volume is normal and music sounds as good as on my chromecast audio. So there is nothing wrong with the connections. I don't know how to fix this. There is no volume control on TV for optical out devices. I suspect the problem is with the audio format, as most of these video apps are by default 5.1, but I am not sure. I hope there is a fix. Any help is appreciated.
Is there a setting to specifically output stereo and not multi channel output? Check both global setting and app settings.

If multi channel audio is played in stereo, volume set for 5 speakers plays on 2 speakers and hence is low. Only front right and front left are played. Some systems wont even play that.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back