TV room setup

Vivek Batra

Hi Guys

I am looking for a small setup to fufill the following.

1. Should be connected with TV
2. Streaming capabilities
3. Ideally A+B speakers ( I want to play in 2 zones)
4. FM support
5. Two Zones (Bedroom and a terrace outside)

I want to keep minimal things in front of me while watching the TV. So planning for in ceiling speakers and a sub woofer.

To start with I had a look at Klipsch in ceiling speakrs (CS- 16 C II) around 16K for the pair and was suggested to go with Yamaha WXA-50 amp. I am already a Klipsch user so know how Klipsch sounds. Rather I listened to Polk wall mounted speakers, they sounded better than Klipsch, wall mounted suits for my Zone 2.

One thing is sure, I am gonna need a subwooder with these 2 options. Are there any Full range speakers, that can do without a sub? Or are there any better options in terms of amplifier?

I do not want to spend over 1 lac on everything combined that includes An amp, minimum 4 speakrers and a sub.

Thanks in advance.

Vivek

So not much inputs here, have decided to go for 5.1 and provision of 7.1 for future. It would be looking like below. LCR with sub in front and 2 surrounds in the ceiling above the bed.

1679638638602.png

Bose sound bar 900

Check out this one. Except for fm this covers all your requirements. It has decent bass however if you need more you can add a bose sub and later wireless surrounds. Additions only if you feel like it.

MaSh

Bose sound bar 900

Check out this one. Except for fm this covers all your requirements. It has decent bass however if you need more you can add a bose sub and later wireless surrounds. Additions only if you feel like it.

MaSh
Hi @MaSh

Thanks for the inputs. Well I am already using a soundbar Sony HT-ST 5000 it has a nice wireless sub as well from few years already. We often get annoyed with vocals not clear from various sources, like YouTube, Some OTT platforms. Eventually we need to shift to TV speakers and thats not funat all. This sony sound bar is not bad, good for music but dialouges are not crsip as it shoud be.

I don't know much about Bose sound bar, could be better than the Sony but need to check. No doubt, the sound bar solution is easiest and cleanest as well. Its just the current experience that is pushing me towards little big and nice speakers.

Vivek

Hi @MaSh

Thanks for the inputs. Well I am already using a soundbar Sony HT-ST 5000 it has a nice wireless sub as well from few years already. We often get annoyed with vocals not clear from various sources, like YouTube, Some OTT platforms. Eventually we need to shift to TV speakers and thats not funat all. This sony sound bar is not bad, good for music but dialouges are not crsip as it shoud be.

I don't know much about Bose sound bar, could be better than the Sony but need to check. No doubt, the sound bar solution is easiest and cleanest as well. Its just the current experience that is pushing me towards little big and nice speakers.

Vivek
Is the Sony sound bar multi channel or stereo? I too have noticed when tv tries to send a multi channel audio signal to a stereo sound bar or speaker system, the vocals are muddy. Switching the audio signal in the tv to send stereo over arc or optical improves the vocals. Have you tried this? Did it work?

Bose sound bar is a multi channel sound bar with around 9 drivers in it including up firing Atmos channel. It's got left right and center channels built in. I would suggest you demo it at a bose store and decide.

Alternatively you can even consider the samsung q99x series which is also very good.

All this said sound bars in general cannot better typical bookshelf/tower speakers for obvious reasons, however these speakers are not high on aesthetics and simplicity. This is what makes sound bars lethal. Had your budget been lesser, I would have not suggested a sound bar lesser than the bose and samsung mentioned.

MaSh

Is the Sony sound bar multi channel or stereo? I too have noticed when tv tries to send a multi channel audio signal to a stereo sound bar or speaker system, the vocals are muddy. Switching the audio signal in the tv to send stereo over arc or optical improves the vocals. Have you tried this? Did it work?

Bose sound bar is a multi channel sound bar with around 9 drivers in it including up firing Atmos channel. It's got left right and center channels built in. I would suggest you demo it at a bose store and decide.

Alternatively you can even consider the samsung q99x series which is also very good.

All this said sound bars in general cannot better typical bookshelf/tower speakers for obvious reasons, however these speakers are not high on aesthetics and simplicity. This is what makes sound bars lethal. Had your budget been lesser, I would have not suggested a sound bar lesser than the bose and samsung mentioned.

MaSh
The one I have is 7.1 with 2 up firing Dolby drivers. STB is directly connected to the sound bar so less issue with STB. Issue is when the audio is routed from TV via eARC. I will see if I could find something around that in TV settings.

Thanks for the pointer though

Hi @MaSh

Well some good news and feeling stupid as well. We were tolerating the crap audio from around 4 years and I never tried to figure out why. Just thinking, it is what it is.

I found a setting in my Sony TV, the audio output was set to " multi channel compressed", other 2 being "not compressed" and "pcm". I changed it to un compressed and wow, suddenly YouTube audio is much better as it should be.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out.

Hi @MaSh

Well some good news and feeling stupid as well. We were tolerating the crap audio from around 4 years and I never tried to figure out why. Just thinking, it is what it is.

I found a setting in my Sony TV, the audio output was set to " multi channel compressed", other 2 being "not compressed" and "pcm". I changed it to un compressed and wow, suddenly YouTube audio is much better as it should be.

Thanks a lot for pointing this out.
Ahh that's great news. It's a different kinda high when such silent upgrades happen.

Uncompressed i would guess is Sony's terminology for bitstream. If it is then the tv is sending raw signal to the sound system to decode which is exactly what is needed. Maybe someone who knows more about this can chime in.

MaSh

One thing is sure, I am gonna need a subwooder with these 2 options. Are there any Full range speakers, that can do without a sub? Or are there any better options in terms of amplifier?
It is very difficult to find full-range in-ceilings sir.
Maybe, you could find some PA speakers if you look around.

So not much inputs here, have decided to go for 5.1 and provision of 7.1 for future. It would be looking like below. LCR with sub in front and 2 surrounds in the ceiling above the bed.

View attachment 75990
This will be much better, sir, and provide a much better experience than in-ceilings.
All the best

Hi Guys

I am looking for a small setup to fufill the following.

1. Should be connected with TV
2. Streaming capabilities
3. Ideally A+B speakers ( I want to play in 2 zones)
4. FM support
5. Two Zones (Bedroom and a terrace outside)

I want to keep minimal things in front of me while watching the TV. So planning for in ceiling speakers and a sub woofer.

To start with I had a look at Klipsch in ceiling speakrs (CS- 16 C II) around 16K for the pair and was suggested to go with Yamaha WXA-50 amp. I am already a Klipsch user so know how Klipsch sounds. Rather I listened to Polk wall mounted speakers, they sounded better than Klipsch, wall mounted suits for my Zone 2.

I do not want to spend over 1 lac on everything combined that includes An amp, minimum 4 speakrers and a sub.

Thanks in advance.

Vivek

Have you considered a good Home Theater in a box package. I think in that budget there would be quite a few options which would fulfill all of your requirements.

Have you considered a good Home Theater in a box package. I think in that budget there would be quite a few options which would fulfill all of your requirements.
Hmm,realising that already. The budget is too tight for a 5.1 system. Will see how much I can spare. Only for watching tv and occasionally movies, I think it's not worth spending more than 1 to 1.5 lacs.

A sound bar seems more apt solution. Let's see.

Hmm,realising that already. The budget is too tight for a 5.1 system. Will see how much I can spare. Only for watching tv and occasionally movies, I think it's not worth spending more than 1 to 1.5 lacs.

A sound bar seems more apt solution. Let's see.
Sure it is totally your call. The only drawback with a soundbar is it is delivering a virtual surround sound. With a HTIB, even an inexpensive one, atleast you get sound from 5 individual speakers. When placed correctly that gives you a good sense of realism and feeling when watching movies. I think you can easily get a HTIB in the 1 to 1.5 lakh range.

Sure it is totally your call. The only drawback with a soundbar is it is delivering a virtual surround sound. With a HTIB, even an inexpensive one, atleast you get sound from 5 individual speakers. When placed correctly that gives you a good sense of realism and feeling when watching movies. I think you can easily get a HTIB in the 1 to 1.5 lakh range.
I am using a sound bar, not a cheap one still not very happy with the dialogues. We miss the dialogues many times so thought of upgrading the sound system for tv. I have the time to do all kind of fittings at the moment.

What would be your recommendations for HITB, btw?

I am using a sound bar, not a cheap one still not very happy with the dialogues. We miss the dialogues many times so thought of upgrading the sound system for tv. I have the time to do all kind of fittings at the moment.

Check Taga 5.0 pack like 607 or 606 and Denon x550bt 5.1 avr. In your budget.

I would definitely recommend to atleast run the wiring for a 5.1. Even if you don't end up doing a full surround system you have a lot of options with the wiring in place. To be very honest I don't think the brand makes the difference. If you place your speakers correctly and do even a basic calibration any system in the budget you are looking at is going to give you a good experience. My suggestion would be before making a purchase visit some demo rooms in your area or maybe even listen to some setups at a friends house and see what system sounds good to you because listening is very subjective.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back