Two 110 volts devices connected to 220 volt source in Series.

naving

I have two 'moderately' expensive devices operating on 110 volts, I bought one step down adapter for one. But When I received another device operating on 110 volt, I just wondered if I could connect both these devices "in series" to a 220 volt line. What will happen if I do so ?

The devices I am talking about is :

1. Yamaha RX-V673

2. Klipsch HD 500 5.1 Speakers

Plain and simple. If you connect both devices to 220V line, both will blow. How do plan to connect them "in series", if I may ask? A typical 3-pin socket has L-E-N (Live-Earth-Neutral). Neutral is 0V and Live is 220V.

Even if that wasn't the case, I would be interested to know how to connect two devices in series. For example, if these were two identical AVRs, how can these be connected in series? These are not simple passive resistors you know. :)

Don't do it, either of them will get more voltage depending current draw at other. Eventually it will go kaput.

I have two 'moderately' expensive devices operating on 110 volts, I bought one step down adapter for one. But When I received another device operating on 110 volt, I just wondered if I could connect both these devices "in series" to a 220 volt line. What will happen if I do so ?

The devices I am talking about is :

1. Yamaha RX-V673

2. Klipsch HD 500 5.1 Speakers

Why not do it and check............:eek:hyeah:

If the load impedance (resistance) is the same between the two devices- then you will get 1/2 the voltage across each device.

Here the impedance will not be the same-- and thus you will get different voltage drop.

Bottom line do not do it

If the load impedance (resistance) is the same between the two devices- then you will get 1/2 the voltage across each device.

Here the impedance will not be the same-- and thus you will get different voltage drop.

Bottom line do not do it

Nooooooo. These devices are not simple resistors. As I said in my previous post 4, even if you have two AVRs of the same make/model, they cannot be connected.

It was just an IDEA I was wondering about. Needed some in-depth explanation.
Good that Thtpro somewhat explains why it can not be done.
Result is that I am going to buy another step down power supply.
Thanks to everyone who contributed but I will look forward to some more logical explanations.

I just wondered if I could connect both these devices "in series" to a 220 volt line. What will happen if I do so ?s

Voltage doesn't add up like maths..

You can run 2 devices in parallel on a 220 or 110 v socket.. like we all do at home. Put more than one plugs in a socket..
both will get the same voltage..

Current gets added like maths..
so u can run 2 110 or 220 V devices on one socket and the if both take 6 and 10A current then as long as the socket can support 16A you are good to go.. else it will burn or melt..

so u can see a lot of tiny lamps in a single line used for decoration.. they all use mA and together they add up to the current capacity of the socket..

Hope this explains..

@AshD- simple maths is correct,but when 2 devices are not same,the current requirement & load may be different.So if you connect AVR & BDp in series,AVR will draw more power which will run to BDp which doesnt need more power,so chances are that either of devices can be damaged unlike any lamp in parallel.

naving said:
but I will look forward to some more logical explanations.

Let me give it a Try.....

1. Each of your 2 devices ( of 110V AC ) will present some load to the AC supply. This "Load" or current drawn, will in this case depend on the Output Volume from that particular device.

Hence the device playing louder, will draw a larger current and also present a lower Load Resistance . ( Lower Resistance / Impedance implies it can draw more current )

Now if you have 2 devices in series, each presenting a different load, the 220 VAC will not be divided equally between them.

One of them will almost certainly receive less than 110 Volts and the other will receive more than 110 Volts ( and will probably burn out )

Actually, Frequency does not matter significantly .....

A transformer will change the voltage but not the frequency. hence if you feed your 110Volt, 60 Hz equipment with a 240 V / 110 V transformer, it will receive 110V @ 50 Hz and still operate satisfactorily.

Some brands, eg Krell intentionally insert frequency detetion circuits to Shut off their equipment if the freq is not correct. This is to restrict use of their USA market ( 60 Hz ) products being sold in Europe and India.

Krelll's USA prices are SIGNIFICANTLY lower in the USA than elsewhere and no US dealers complained that Grey Market imports were hitting their business, hence Krell resorted to frequency detection ......

@AshD- simple maths is correct,but when 2 devices are not same,the current requirement & load may be different.So if you connect AVR & BDp in series,AVR will draw more power which will run to BDp which doesnt need more power,so chances are that either of devices can be damaged unlike any lamp in parallel.
Moreover the power drawn (ampere) by the AVR is not constant like a bulb. Power consumption of AVRs constantly vary therefore "tiny bulbs in a series" principle will not work here.

Not possible from the outside. The only DIY way of converting a 110V device to a 220v one is in those devices where the transformer has 2 110V windings connected in parallel. The same primary windings can be connected in series to form a 220V secondary.

Krelll's USA prices are SIGNIFICANTLY lower in the USA than elsewhere and no US dealers complained that Grey Market imports were hitting their business, hence Krell resorted to frequency detection ......

I am confused. If krell USA prices are significantly lower in the USA then.. ??? If no US dealers are complaining, then... ?
Why there are grey market imports if the prices are significantly low?

I am confused. If krell USA prices are significantly lower in the USA then.. ??? If no US dealers are complaining, then... ?
Why there are grey market imports if the prices are significantly low?

me too confused...

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back