Two speakers with the same + and - terminals of the Amplifier

rwnano

Has anyone tried to connect two speakers to the same + and - terminal of each output of the Amplifier?
I am faced with this situation since my old 7.1 Amp is not working and I am subbing it with a 5.1 Amp.
Was wondering if I could put TWO speakers each to my FRONT two output terminals of the Amplifier? i.e 4 speaker wires on two Front terminal outputs in the Amp.
Thanks

Has anyone tried to connect two speakers to the same + and - terminal of each output of the Amplifier?
I am faced with this situation since my old 7.1 Amp is not working and I am subbing it with a 5.1 Amp.
Was wondering if I could put TWO speakers each to my FRONT two output terminals of the Amplifier? i.e 4 speaker wires on two Front terminal outputs in the Amp.
Thanks
Technically feasible, subject to certain variables imposed by the design of your AVR. Check out serial vs parallel wiring of speakers on Google.

But let me caution that there is a very high probability of damaging your AVR or speakers or both. I personally would never recommend to attempt it.

The combined impedance will reduce. Two 8 ohms in parallel makes it 4 ohms. Two four ohms will become 2 ohms. This is just the DC resistance. Putting them in series will increase the impedance but you will have to crank up the volume. Series is a much safer option.

2-speakers-in-parallel-at-amp-300x163.png
2-speakers-in-series-at-amp-300x163.png

assuming the speakers are identical... for 8 ohms follow image (1) and for lower go with (2)

Thanks
Which AVR and speakers are these? My cousin is using Onkyo htib and has connected rear channel and center channel in paraller. I think all those speakers are 6 ohms. So far no problem. We have been using it for many many years. But I would suggest connecting in series.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back