• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Un-buttoning Two Fine Dames from England !!!!!

Wharfedale Speakers

yogibear

Mods, please don't get mad at me for this "Racy" live account of my new finds....... I promise to share only the foreplay and keep rest behind curtains !

These were lovingly brought home but brutally handled by the "Sky Pirates", so keeping my fingers crossed. So here they are both, snugly packed with "vital" parts facing each other in two different boxes:

IMG_3921 copy.jpg

Both separated:

IMG_3922 copy.jpg

After the first uncovering.......

IMG_3923 copy.jpg

Second box:

IMG_3924 copy.jpg

yogibear

My heartbeat is racing now.......

IMG_3925 copy.jpg

The rear sides.....

IMG_3926 copy.jpg

So far so good, a final peak now.... Do or Die....

IMG_3927 copy.jpg

Voila !!!!!!

IMG_3928 copy.jpg

One of the few finest pair on earth, Goodman's Twin Axiette 8" Full Range Drivers......

yogibear

I know one of the screw terminals is missing. But it got loose while packing and is hiding inside the magnet assembly and does not want to come out.

I am sorry if my post heading is too racy.....

These have been compared with WE 755A and some consider them to be superior. I have NO idea. Of course, Open Baffle for me with these ones. Only time will tell.

NEXT: Twin Axiettes singing with Single Ended Pure Class A Tube 45 amp based on Tamura Iron.....

Naturelover

Staff member
Well, what's life if not a little risqué ;)
Ah, my mind goes back fondly to the days, not so long ago, when there used to be much fun and friendy banter on these pages.
Mods, please don't get mad at me for this "Racy" live account of my new finds....... I promise to share only the foreplay and keep rest behind curtains !

These were lovingly brought home but brutally handled by the "Sky Pirates", so keeping my fingers crossed. So here they are both, snugly packed with "vital" parts facing each other in two different boxes:

JayaRaa

Congratulations on the goodmans, are these reconed? Some more info on these particular units acquired from & ball park price landed to you, would be most appeciated, thanks.

yogibear

@arj, @raghupb, @JayaRaa, @trushar, @Naveenbnc, @arunkvivek, @Naturelover, @JayaRaa, thanks for your replies and as varied as this post.

Most posts on the forum nowadays are straightforward and kind of serious so I thought of making one interesting and as racy as "Demi Moore" and as adventurous as "Sherlock Holmes" .....

One screw terminal of a driver was loose and it got dropped inside the basket surrounding the Alnico magnet. It refuses to come out so I had to pack them as is and worthy of air baggage transport. It moves a bit inside but will not come out.... My bad, that only seems to be my disappointment for now.

These measures a perfect 13.6 and 13.8 ohms for DCR.

Nope, these are 100% original, undamaged or without any repairs, straight from the original cabinets.

These have the cast frame of original Axiette 8 and original cones and surrounds of 8 II and have a whizzer cone which makes them sing to 18K Hz.
I have not heard a pair till now which is more musical and climbs as high as my Matsushita 8PW1 and I am anxious to see how these fare... I have heard great things about them with some audiophiles consider them to be the "end of road" on Full Range path. These were the last of Axiette series, created by Ted Jordon.

These will pair up with a new DIY pure Class A, Single Ended Tube 45 amplifier with Tamura Iron in Open Baffle, crossover-less setup.

yogibear

What is so special about Tamura iron?

Considered to be superior to Tango and Hashimoto. Are hand wound inner-leaved permalloy transformers and not in production anymore. Single 8 ohm output tap. Very musical sounding with surprising bass too, as I have been told by some Master Crafters of tube amps. Vintage Philips and Hammonds are great too. I recently grabbed Philips pair and the ST35 has vintage Hammond and not the Dynaco ones. Have a distinct sweetness to vocals which stays in memory even if I am listening to a different one, at times.

Yet to all above experience, so my own views will take time to agree or differ....

Reactions: arj

Rajiv

@arj, @raghupb, @JayaRaa, @trushar, @Naveenbnc, @arunkvivek, @Naturelover, @JayaRaa, thanks for your replies and as varied as this post.

Most posts on the forum nowadays are straightforward and kind of serious so I thought of making one interesting and as racy as "Demi Moore" and as adventurous as "Sherlock Holmes" .....

One screw terminal of a driver was loose and it got dropped inside the basket surrounding the Alnico magnet. It refuses to come out so I had to pack them as is and worthy of air baggage transport. It moves a bit inside but will not come out.... My bad, that only seems to be my disappointment for now.

These measures a perfect 13.6 and 13.8 ohms for DCR.

Nope, these are 100% original, undamaged or without any repairs, straight from the original cabinets.

These have the cast frame of original Axiette 8 and original cones and surrounds of 8 II and have a whizzer cone which makes them sing to 18K Hz.
I have not heard a pair till now which is more musical and climbs as high as my Matsushita 8PW1 and I am anxious to see how these fare... I have heard great things about them with some audiophiles consider them to be the "end of road" on Full Range path. These were the last of Axiette series, created by Ted Jordon.

These will pair up with a new DIY pure Class A, Single Ended Tube 45 amplifier with Tamura Iron in Open Baffle, crossover-less setup.

Hi,

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Goodmans Twin Axiette 8 drivers. Very good sounding drivers. I heard a pair long ago. Smoother sounding than the Goodmans Axiom 301 and 201 that I had. Your drivers don't look to be the alnico magnet version but the later version using the Feroba II magnet.

A word of caution, the aluminium voice coils don't like to see more than the rated power so careful if driving with a higher power amp . I have learnt the hard way.

Since you like full range drivers let me give you a tip. Look out for the Ampex 620 and variants of ampli speakers. These came bundled with the Ampex reel recorders. The JBL 8 inch full range driver that Ampex used is one of the best I have heard. The whole package is very good sounding. I have been eyeing a pair that are in Madras but the owner is not parting with them.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Ampex-620-Tube-Amplifier-JBL-Speaker-Suitcase-273532442095.html

Regards
Rajiv

yogibear

Hi,

Congratulations on your acquisition of the Goodmans Twin Axiette 8 drivers. Very good sounding drivers. I heard a pair long ago. Smoother sounding than the Goodmans Axiom 301 and 201 that I had. Your drivers don't look to be the alnico magnet version but the later version using the Feroba II magnet.

A word of caution, the aluminium voice coils don't like to see more than the rated power so careful if driving with a higher power amp . I have learnt the hard way.

Since you like full range drivers let me give you a tip. Look out for the Ampex 620 and variants of ampli speakers. These came bundled with the Ampex reel recorders. The JBL 8 inch full range driver that Ampex used is one of the best I have heard. The whole package is very good sounding. I have been eyeing a pair that are in Madras but the owner is not parting with them.

https://picclick.com/Vintage-Ampex-620-Tube-Amplifier-JBL-Speaker-Suitcase-273532442095.html

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajivji. I was waiting for you to chime in and advice. Yes, these are not Alnico and I wonder how these compare with the similar Alnico 8" version of Goodmans, Knight KN818 ? These ones:

IMG_3932 copy.jpg

IMG_3934 copy.jpg

Since you mentioned, Ampex, I did bring an American pair of large 12" Zeniths, Alnico, 49CZ852, highly rated by Kevin of glow in the dark audio, well above the pricey brands of FR:

http://www.glowinthedarkaudio.com/zenith-49cz852.html

These huge, 12" FR, came home, un-scathed it seems. I am yet to take them apart. Even Santa, who brought them, seems to be in approval of these:

IMG_3930 copy.jpg

IMG_3931 copy.jpg

Thanks for your advice on Al VC. About power, Yes, I intend to run them only through low power tube amps. My current Matsushita 8PW1 are Alnico and rated only 8 watts @ 8 ohms and have sung well from as much as 17.5 wpc of EL84 PP sound. And after 5.5 wpc of SE EL34 liquid sound, now I intend to experience, as how good just 1.5 wpc of Tube 45 sounds or rather whats so special about them ?

Regards,
Samir.