Unable to run Spotify on Apple Mac OS 10.9

I use a deprecated version of Spotify - suitable for 10.9 MacOS.
https://www.spotify.com/us/download/other/
When I try to login - with my email address and password - it says - Proxy firewall error. It seems like the 443 port that Spotify uses is being blocked by MacOS in some way.
How to solve this?
You can turn off firewall temporarily and check if spotify then works. Which macbook is this? You can upgrade the OS using opencore patcher and then run the latest spotify and apple music. If this is upto 2012 model, then you can open the bottom lid and change the hard disk to SSD and upgrade the RAM to 16 gb DDR3. That's what I have done for my 2011 model. Apple is lying when it says that the max memory this model supports is 8Gb. I have put two modules of 8 gb each and have tested to confirm that it uses 16gb.

1684467536552.png

I have used the same to upgrade my 2014 mac mini to ventura. The mac mini I have re-purposed to play apple music. I have also tried the same on my 2015 macbook pro. But if you are not too much into macos, then you can install ubuntu, fedora, etc and they perform many times better than mac os and will never crash once in the lifetime. Spotify very much works on these mainstream linux distros (unlike the distros for raspberry PIs).

I have guided at least two members here to upgrade their mac mini and macbook pro using the below

Last edited:
Which macbook is this?

MacBook Pro Mid 2010 13 inch
2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB DDR3. 256 GB SSD as the Hard drive is ALREADY there.

You can upgrade the OS using opencore patcher and then run the latest spotify and apple music. If this is upto 2012 model, then you can open the bottom lid and change the hard disk to SSD and upgrade the RAM to 16 gb DDR3. That's what I have done for my 2011 model.

Software OS X 10.9.5

Turned off firewall temporarily - Spotify did not start. Seems like they have deprecated the App, Spotify has.
In other news, even web.spotify player is not working on this.
The only thing that is working is YouTube.

Turned off firewall temporarily - Spotify did not start. Seems like they have deprecated the App, Spotify has.
In other news, even web.spotify player is not working on this.
The only thing that is working is YouTube.

That's what happens with the apple and micorosoft eco system. Once they stop releasing new OS version, everyone else folllows suit. Upgrade the OS to big sur/monterey/ventura or just put linux.

I'll have to put Linux it seems - taking a backup of the laptop now.
Or Maybe run OpenCore patcher and update MacOS.

Mac OS is not as efficient as LInux and so will run slower. So if you want to run opencore patcher, then it would be nice to upgrade the internal hard disk to ssd.

The downside of linux is that you won't get the UI that you have got accustomed to. But linux UI is as good (gnome3). Few things may not work out of the box and may require you get help from people like me :p

1) Suspending the laptop when you close the lid
2) Sound
3) wireless card will require you to do some additional steps after OS installation

Last edited:
The safest thing is to just open the back cover, put a new hard disk and start the installation. Just watch any ifixit video. It is not difficult. A 500 gb SSD doesn't cost much now days.

So I have taken a backup of the laptop...now the easiest way to run Spotify on it would be to flash Linux or OpenCore for MacOs? Will prefer not to open the laptop...an pressed for time.

So I have taken a backup of the laptop...now the easiest way to run Spotify on it would be to flash Linux or OpenCore for MacOs? Will prefer not to open the laptop...an pressed for time.
Easiest is to flash linux. Installing linux involves
1) creating a live bootable usb disk by downloading a distribution and then burning it to a usb stick
2) boot your macbook using the usb stick. You have to hold the Alt key after pressing the power on button
3) Follow onscreen instructions

For opencore there are multiple steps
1) Download macosx using the steps given on the opencore patchter site.
2) Download opencore patcher on an existing macos system
3) run opencore on the macos system to create bootable usb stick
4). Boot macbook with the usb stick just created
5) Follow onscreen instructions

Last edited:
Which macbook is this?

MacBook Pro Mid 2010 13 inch
2.66 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
Memory 4GB DDR3. 256 GB SSD as the Hard drive is ALREADY there.

You can upgrade the OS using opencore patcher and then run the latest spotify and apple music. If this is upto 2012 model, then you can open the bottom lid and change the hard disk to SSD and upgrade the RAM to 16 gb DDR3. That's what I have done for my 2011 model.

Software OS X 10.9.5
I missed reading this post yesterday. This has a faster processor than my 2011 model. This should run good with linux

Theres a way to "try out" Ubuntu using a USB stick attached to my PC. But is there a way to install Spotify in that USB stick's UBUNTU, so that whenever I attach the USB stick to my MacBook, it boots Ubuntu from the USB stick and loads spotify as well?

update: rmoved the macbook pros 13 year old internal SWOLLEN Lithium Battery.
Its running fine on UPS power. :)
Swollen batteries are bombs :)
You can still get batteries. I replaced the batter this year. Memory is now 16Gb. Hard disk is still the slow 5400 rpm mechanical hard drive. The kind of daily writes I do, SSD do not last that long. I have had atleast 3 SSD failures on other macbooks running photoshop. This macbook of 2011 vintage is stil running with a new lease of life with fedora 38. This remains till date my favourite desktop for core development (C, C++, Shell and Linux). Mac OS has been thrown out and replaced with a far superior OS that has never crashed even once since 2011.

I use a silicon keyboard cover over the keyboard of all my macbooks. Some how I always press hard on the 'M' key and the letter on that key goes away within few months. It looks like my right hand middle finger is very strong (probably due to most used finger till date). Last year I managed to find these silicon covers that protect my 'M' key

IMG_20230802_230228397.jpg

IMG_20230802_230333922_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230802_230507549.jpg

My new macbooks don't get that much attention as this old one. That's why it has no covers, etc
IMG_20230802_232100608.jpg

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back