Unconventional Audio Designs!

This is a fun thread! :)

Here’s the undisputed champion of unconventional audio design: the B&W Nautilus. Also takes top honours in the ‘Ugliest Speaker Ever’ Awards, winner of the ‘You Paid How Much For This Crap??’ Trophy and voted ‘Speaker Most Likely To Get You A Divorce’ since the day it was introduced.

0EA3B07E-B12A-4E79-B3DB-EE2E3F8E85C9.jpeg

The original BW Nautilus

I had listened to these while living in SF Bay area during the heydays of dot-com era at a "high-end" audio store.
IIRC they were driven by Parasound JC amps. Sounded great, but the design was/is fabulous.

Cheers,
Raghu

Tune Audio Anima​

TECHNICAL DATA

• System Sensitivity: 109db
  • Impedance Nominal: 8ohms
  • Crossover: @ 250HZ & 1500HZ
  • Recommended Power: > 3watt
  • Recommended Amplifiers: Low-mid powered, tube SETs or solid state. Low or no feedback designs are recommended.
  • Recommended Placement: Near wall or room corner is desirable.
  • Preferred clearance between speakers: >2 m.
  • Listening Distance: >3 m.
  • Dimensions: H158cm, W87cm, L87cm
  • Weight: 75Kgr each

01-tune-audio-anima1.jpg

Living Voice Vox Olympian

SENSITIVITY:105dB
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE:8 Ohms
TOPOLOGY:Four-way exponential horn.
OVERALL BANDWIDTH:70Hz–45kHz
MID-BASS:70Hz–450Hz
MID-RANGE:450Hz–5kHz
HIGH-MID:5kHz–18kHz
SUPER HF:18kHz–45kHz
POWER HANDLING:100 Watts
CABINET DIMENSIONS:W 680mm × D 620mm × H 1600mm
PLINTH:Four individual adjustable bronze feet with bronze floor protectors.
GROSS WEIGHT:210Kgs per cabinet.

01-living-voice-vox-olympian1.jpg

04-living-voice-vox-olympian.jpg.jpg

02-living-voice-vox-olympian.jpg

Examples of unconventional materials for speaker boxes, in this case, CONCRETE!

Concrete Audio B1

s1928_0019-Ausschnitt-Streifen-grau_thumb.png

Master & Dynamic MA770

concrete-speaker-master-dynamic-1-3590386001.jpeg

Elipson

elipson-vintage-e1492425168424.jpg

Last edited:
College days, we used to make these kind of speakers and amps based on TBA810 IC, Takara Car audio cassette player, etc.
Apparently you can buy them how and the tag line is "Amplify the sound of earth"
The unique name of these clay speakers, Mapuguaquén, comes from the Mapudungun language meaning “sound of the earth.” At first glance, you might think these clay vases are meant for planting or decoration, but their true purpose is revealed once you see they’ve been capped with speaker cones. Mapuguaquén speakers marry traditional Chileanmanufacturing techniques with modern technology, thus keeping alive an ancient manufacturing tradition. Their name comes from the Portuguese word ‘mapuguaquén,’ which means ‘sound of the earth.’

Related: 10 Inventive designs from budding young artists at Milan Design Week’s Salone Satellite

Instead of using large factories, Ocqueteau creates these by hand by mixing natural and technological materials. Each speaker has a raw look and earthy colors, combined with cork finishing around the central speaker

1653705104445.png

1653705200597.png

College days, we used to make these kind of speakers and amps based on TBA810 IC, Takara Car audio cassette player, etc.
Apparently you can buy them how and the tag line is "Amplify the sound of earth"

View attachment 69535

View attachment 69536

Yes! We had quite a few ‘matka’ speakers in our college hostel, being run by car decks. When placed under the bed, you got some extra rock n roll :)

Lest we forget, not all unconventional designs have to be outlandish. The Nakamichi RX505 was an amazing concept: turn the cassette, instead of the head! I could watch that side change for hours…

Yes! We had quite a few ‘matka’ speakers in our college hostel, being run by car decks. When placed under the bed, you got some extra rock n roll :)

Lest we forget, not all unconventional designs have to be outlandish. The Nakamichi RX505 was an amazing concept: turn the cassette, instead of the head! I could watch that side change for hours…

Goodness me! This cassette-flipping concept is new to me. It's fantastic. During the cassette player era, the most mind-blowing breakthrough for me was the skipping tracks feature. Up til then we forwarded and rewinded the tapes to find the start of tracks.

I recall some of B&O's designs from the 1980s and 1990s being extremely ahead of their time, completely futuristic. Let me see if I can fish these out.

Last edited:

I remember seeing a similar Nakamichi Dragon I think years ago at an owner's house in south Mumbai connected to Bose 901 speakers which my cousin had gone to buy. It could flip the cassette & had a very deep cassette holder and was a real beauty unlike any other deck I had seen.

Last edited:
B&O BeoSound 9000

This was their badass CD player.

973043.jpg

404497.jpg

Complete demonstration of the player.

Last edited:
I recall some of B&O's designs from the 1980s and 1990s being extremely ahead of their time, completely futuristic

For me, B&O design in the 80s was straight out of science fiction. I’m pretty sure Captain Kirk had one in his cabin :)

Speaking of sci-fi, here’s something from Kubrick’s A Clockwork Orange: the Transcriptors Hydraulic Reference Turntable from the 60s. Kubrick himself approached the designer to buy one for the film.
It’s a pretty radical design with an exposed look that borrows its aesthetic from skeleton clocks(!) and a paddle in silicon oil bath to control speed.

283A1A19-CFF7-453B-B603-D437DBBD9690.jpeg1A0B57F1-7982-48F1-9473-DBAE9BD15765.jpeg

Wow.. that is very quick response for a mechanical arrangement.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back