Understanding DAC

Rud31

Recently I bought Fiio K3 as I'm shifting temporarily to portable audio but my real love remains loudspeakers based system. In that domain too, till now I was relying whatever rudimentary D/A conversion that was happening in the amp itself. After hooking up my integrated to the DAC, I noticed the difference it makes in the sound output and thus realized the importance of it. For the time being my current setup will do but I'm already planning my future build and although I haven't set a budget in my mind for it, I do have few technical queries regarding it. I intend to create Digital source based setup as most of my music is either in my hard disk or on my phone or I stream. This thread is regarding the DAC, so please hear me out and clarify my doubts.
1. If a signal is to be split, for feeding to 2 amps, should it be done from Source(Digital) or from DAC?
2. If it's split from DAC then wouldn't it add noise to the analog signal? I'm visualizing passive parallel connections here. If there's a better way to do so then please do tell.
3. If 2 amps are to be given the signal then does splitting signal using an active crossover is the way or is there a cheaper option?
4. Are there DACs out there that have all sorts of digital input, Coax,Optical,USB,Bluetooth,WiFi and have similar outputs and analog inputs both RCA and Balanced XLR?
I have these doubts because I want the audio signal to be fed to 2 amps, one for driving the speakers and one for driving the subwoofers. Thus want to know what would be the best way to go about doing so.

Why not just connect subwoofer with speaker level inputs from the amplifier

You cant really have two outputs with same signal from the source and not really sure if you two analogue outs from dac work together from the dac.
Even if they work it's the wrong way to do it.

Either you connect your speakers to sub with high level outputs or better way would be give signal to sub from the amplifier

1. Split after the DAC. Else you will be doing the da conversion in the amp (assuming it accepts digital input)
2. Why?
3. If the input impedance of the amps are high enough, then you can just use a passive Y-splitter. Generally it is.
4. Yes. Most commercial dacs accept multiple inputs.

Why not just connect subwoofer with speaker level inputs from the amplifier

You cant really have two outputs with same signal from the source and not really sure if you two analogue outs from dac work together from the dac.
Even if they work it's the wrong way to do it.

Either you connect your speakers to sub with high level outputs or better way would be give signal to sub from the amplifier
What input connections does your sub accept?
I have a PolkAudio PSW110 that accepts Speaker level input but I found the bass to be all over the place when using it. Feeding it signal through the RCAs give much tighter bass. BUT this isn't the subwoofer I intend to use. I have a Crown XLS2502 that I intend to use in the future to drive 2 sealed DIY subs for L-R channel. Crown accepts both RCAs and XLR inputs but allows chaining/splitting signal only through Balanced quarter inch TRS cables when given input through XLR.

I am not sure about your budget but there are several DACs that come with both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced(RCA) outputs both driven simultaneously. e.g. Benchmark.

Consider the scenario; DAC is fed digital signal and it has only 1 pair of unbalanced RCA output such as Schiit Modi 3. Now I need to feed the DAC output to 2 amplifiers, one Integrated such as NAD and another power amplifier such as Crown. Now how to split the signal to feed both? Doing passive Y of each RCA output adds noise to the input which is perceptible. Crown has option to chain/link it's input for connecting other amplifier but AFAIK it works only for Balanced XLR inputs. So what are my options here? If I use RCA to XLR converter cable and feed Crown amp with it and then daisy chain it with NAD amplifier, would that be "less noisy"?

Well consider the scenario in my last post as that's the issue I'm currently facing. Getting a better DAC is always an option but it's an expensive solution, time for which will be later.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back