Universal Remote Control ; which one do i need?

virtueso

Hello,
I needed to know which urc i should purchase, as i know nothing about how they work, how they switch from one device to the other( except a vague idea) etc.
I plan to use mine for my samsung s6 lcd, airtel IPTV stb,and onkyo 3500 HTiB.
I have a ps3 too, would be nice if the urc controlled that as well, but is not a necessity.
I'd very much like to stay under 2k! Do not care about backlights,touch screens etc, only basic functionality.

Thanks in advance

One For All URC is available in ebay and flipkart also.

oneforall | eBay

yes, the price is also reasonable, but i read in hfv that they have stopped coming out with codes or some problem with codes the person was talking about, for one for all. Have u used this particular model? im mostly worried about the airtel stb, as its quite old and iptv isn't used by a whole lot of people. dth are much more common

Baiju Whats the difference between Logitech Harmony and One for All URC ?
A whole world of a difference.

Logitech Harmony remotes are based on an internet database of equipment. The programming is done via a PC based application that connects the internet database to Harmony (connected to PC via USB). You select the equipment and the software can allow standard activities to be created. For instance, you can state what TV you have, what AVR, what players, etc. all selectable from the internet database. The DB has almost all known equipment. It then programs the remote for the IR sequence. The activities can be like "Watch TV", "Watch Movie", "Play game", etc. If, by chance, an equipment is not listed, the harmony remote can learn from the equipment's original remote. Almost any device (including ACs) that are remote operated can be controlled by Harmony. Some (most) remotes have a touch screen interface. The features are too many to explain. For instance, on my remote, I have an activity called "Watch Movie on Projector". Just selecting this option turns on my BDP, my AVR, my projector and my AC in a sequence, AVR switches to BDP option. When I press "OFF" on remote, all devices are switched off simultaneously.

The All-in-One remote is more traditional universal remote based on codes for a device. It can also learn device from device's original remote. It can control devices individually but not together as an activity.

I must get one Logitech Harmony. Monsieur just4kix Where can I buy in India? Is it complex to use? Are the same buttons used for AVR TV DVD player? Can other non tech savvy people use it without problem?

Last edited:
I must get one Logitech Harmony. Monsieur just4kix Where can I buy in India? Is it complex to use? Are the same buttons used for AVR TV DVD player? Can other non tech savvy people use it without problem?
Logitech Harmony is easy to use. Check on eBay or Logitech India.

Harmony Remotes

It is designed to be used by anyone but obviously some computer knowledge is required. Harmony 900 is the best amongst the lot. Harmony 650 is equally good with some limitations like number of devices.

Once you start using a Harmony remote, you wondered how you ever lived without one - like a cell phone really.

A whole world of a difference.

Logitech Harmony remotes are based on an internet database of equipment. The programming is done via a PC based application that connects the internet database to Harmony (connected to PC via USB). You select the equipment and the software can allow standard activities to be created. For instance, you can state what TV you have, what AVR, what players, etc. all selectable from the internet database. The DB has almost all known equipment. It then programs the remote for the IR sequence. The activities can be like "Watch TV", "Watch Movie", "Play game", etc. If, by chance, an equipment is not listed, the harmony remote can learn from the equipment's original remote. Almost any device (including ACs) that are remote operated can be controlled by Harmony. Some (most) remotes have a touch screen interface. The features are too many to explain. For instance, on my remote, I have an activity called "Watch Movie on Projector". Just selecting this option turns on my BDP, my AVR, my projector and my AC in a sequence, AVR switches to BDP option. When I press "OFF" on remote, all devices are switched off simultaneously.

The All-in-One remote is more traditional universal remote based on codes for a device. It can also learn device from device's original remote. It can control devices individually but not together as an activity.

this explained several things, thanks. I would love to own the 650 or even 900 in the ftuure. As of now, in my very limited budget, it appears i have an option of choosing either the one for all:
One For All URC 7960 Smart Universal Remote Control | eBay

or the harmony H300:

Logitech Harmony Universal Remote H300 (last 20 Nos left) | eBay

Which would you recommend? airtel stb, samsung lcd and onkyo 3500 need to be operated using it

Last edited:
Last edited:
a little offtopic, does snpadeal products will be covered under warranty?
It is clearly written on snapdeal page that it has 1 year logitech warranty and listing is also from Logitech itself..They have Logitech store on snapdeal..

I recently bought Logitech harmony 650. I like the activity setting. Watch TV means this remote turns on TV and STB in one go and sets TV to proper input selected. Also remote configured on which device I want to change channel and volume. Same with watching DVD or xtreamer. One activity button - all set if all wires are in place. Once done, just switch off all with single button.

Last edited:
I recently bought harmony H300 @ 1200 and very happy with it. Limitation is it can manage 4 devices at max and no LCD screen. Very good VFM....

Harmony 300 and One forAall 7960 both cost the same, but one for all has a backlight on its center navigation buttons which looks cool :p
Any reason as to chose the H300 over OfA 7960?

I read somewhere that Harmony 300's 'watch tv' button only switches on the TV + STB and not the AVR. Is that true? Harmony 650 is sold out on most of the websites so I am contemplating H300 for 2k.

Thank you,
Rikhi

u6y5ahu3.jpg

Replaced all on left side with the one on the right...
Wallet weighs 4500rs less now :)

Technophilia catching up..

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back