Unusual Choice bcos of good discount on all TVs...

rajatk

Age Old Dilemma - LED vs Plasma at same price...

Hi Friends,

After browsing hours on this forum and reading 100s of views/posts/opinions/ arguments about each category (LED/Plasma) and brands (Sammy/Panny/Sony/ LG..) I have made some choices but still not sure about that "final piece" I should go for and hence posting here:

Some Background 1st:

1. Getting 25% discount on MRP (not dealer price) of All TVs through connections in my tier-2 home (got rates for 46" LG, Samsung LEDs till now - will hopefully get discount on Sony, Panny as well.. lets see)...

2. Budget approx 65-70K after discount (hence max MRP of 90-95K will do).

3. 14 by 16 Room with approx 10-14 feet viewing distance. No direct sunlight and windows are far off..

4. Viewing habits - mostly general TV (GECs, News, Music, some sports) with some movies occasionally. Would like to have Full HD 1080 but internet/smart TV is not required. 3D is okay but not necessary and would prefer better PQ, Design instead. As fewer channels come with HD these days, do not want a TV with bad SD at all (heard about this being problem with a few Panasonics)

5. Have 2 LCDs (Philips, LG) and 1 LED (LG) in my delhi home - all 32".

6. Choices - 50/51" Plasma OR 46/47" LED.

Decision Process

Had almost decided for 46/47" LED and saw/liked few models:

1. LG -> 47LS5500 (MRP - 96K)
2. Samsung -> UA46ES5600R (MRP -89k)
3. Sony -> KDL-46EX520 (MRP - 84K), KDL-46EX720 (MRP -94K)

I liked Sony EX520 & Samsung ES5600 for their looks/sexy design & brightness (hehe).. however couple of Samsung salesmen in different dealers also suggested me to take a look at 43" / 50" Plasmas as well since they produce natural colors, wider viewing angle, blacks, price etc etc and that got me hooked. Infact all 3 samsung showrooms I visited more or less had the same view - go for Plasma since you are going for large screen. LED is more hype than content (awesome to hear such things from salesmen)...

Anyways so my research on Plasmas started and got me here and boy it has been a mind boggling experience to learn so much... so here we are with my updated list of choices:

Plasmas:

Samsung -

1. PS51E550D (MRP - 86K), new series above last years 51D550 which is apparently not available anymore. Comes with Full HD, Smart features (which I dont need) & 3D (not necessary for me).

2. PS51E470A (MRP - 63K). Every sammy showroom seems to have this as the only Plasma available / on display. The only downside is that its not Full HD - I would surely like to know if paying 15k more (discounted) is worth for Full HD considering I dont want smart features and can do without 3D. This is going to be a 5-7 year purchase so things might change on 3D, HD etc.

Panasonic

Not many dealers in my city so not seen the demo yet, Not able to find prices on its website but got some idea from other sources:

1. 50ST50D / 50ST30D -> Reviews / Specs are blowout...

2. 50UT50D / 50UT30D

3. 50XT50D

Please help with MRP/ Dealer price of these models to help me eliminate some of the choices above on budget...

Would appreciate recommendations from these for my budget and warranty, good post sales services etc.

As I will get Samsung 46" 5600R LED & Sony EX 520,720 also in my price so would like you to consider them as well...

Planning to finalize ASAP (in 2-3 days) so will appreciate quick help :) Thanks in advance...

Rajat

Last edited:
56 Views and no response :sad:

I am kinda scared about plasma especially after reading about burn in problems faced by almost every user and defected pieces of samsung reported by couple of people here... companies are reducing prodn of plasmas in favor of LEDs and 2-3 year down the line it might be difficult to even get it repaired - your views?

Shall I play safe and go ahead with Samsung 46" LED 5600 or Sony 520/720 ?? Just a reminder that with 25% discount on MRP, they will cost me 65-70k approx...

Since you don't have a lighting issue (no direct sunlight), I suppose you could go for plasma. I had to go with an LED myself coz I knew I couldn't create the perfect environment for a plasma.

And about the fullHD vs not, for 50/51" screen I think you should go with the fullHD version. Oh and btw, haven't seen a single plasma or LCD/LED that plays SD/regular TV better than a good old CRT.

About service/spares, Samsung provides 1 year warranty. Do try to buy from a dealer that provides extended warranty. Take 2 years extended (more if possible, most of them only provide 2). So that should make it 3 years of worry free viewing at least.

Since you don't have a lighting issue (no direct sunlight), I suppose you could go for plasma. I had to go with an LED myself coz I knew I couldn't create the perfect environment for a plasma.

And about the fullHD vs not, for 50/51" screen I think you should go with the fullHD version. Oh and btw, haven't seen a single plasma or LCD/LED that plays SD/regular TV better than a good old CRT.

About service/spares, Samsung provides 1 year warranty. Do try to buy from a dealer that provides extended warranty. Take 2 years extended (more if possible, most of them only provide 2). So that should make it 3 years of worry free viewing at least.

Thanks Gazal - appreciate your inputs.

So +1 for Plasma + 1080 Full HD + extended warranty :)

Interesting view on SD viewing on CRT... I have couple of 32" LCDs and they play SD almost as good as CRT if not better. May be large screen size will result in poor response as I also felt little bit in showrooms...

R

56 Views and no response :sad:

I am kinda scared about plasma especially after reading about burn in problems faced by almost every user and defected pieces of samsung reported by couple of people here... companies are reducing prodn of plasmas in favor of LEDs and 2-3 year down the line it might be difficult to even get it repaired - your views?

Shall I play safe and go ahead with Samsung 46" LED 5600 or Sony 520/720 ?? Just a reminder that with 25% discount on MRP, they will cost me 65-70k approx...

Panasonic too offers 3 yrs warranty, so shouldnt be a problem. In terms of technology, in a few years, maybe all would move towards OLED which would make all three current technologies (LCD/LED/Plasma) redundant and not just plasma.

Panasonic too offers 3 yrs warranty, so shouldnt be a problem. In terms of technology, in a few years, maybe all would move towards OLED which would make all three current technologies (LCD/LED/Plasma) redundant and not just plasma.

Thanks Sud - so you would suggest going with Plasma from Panny...

Which model you would recommend for the budget - 50ST30?

Plasma should be your choice...........I'm so glad the samsung saleman actually gave you the true picture which most salesman do not simply because they themselves are not aware how plasma is superior to LED/LCD in so many way. So, kudos to that salesman for giving you the truth and not just pulling a fast sales pitch.

Your obvious choice should be Panasonic and not just any model but only the ones with neo pdp panels. You can google and do a bit of research on neo pdp and infinite black pro and how these ground breaking plasma technologies set panasonic apart from the rest.

Coming to the models........well the panasonic 2012 line up is obviously better then the 2011 models but at a price. So if ST50 looks overpriced then by all means go with ST30 which is also a winner. Would not suggest X or U series, though they make great entry level plasma's they do not have neo pdp panels. Only S, G, V series come with neo pdp panels and infinite black.

i buy today 50xt 50 with 2 pic 3d glasses 60k.

Congrats - looks a good deal for a 50" Panny Plasma with 3D. Does it have neo PDP, Full HD also?

Which other Plasma did you consider and any idea of prices for 50ST30/50?

Plasma should be your choice...........I'm so glad the samsung saleman actually gave you the true picture which most salesman do not simply because they themselves are not aware how plasma is superior to LED/LCD in so many way. So, kudos to that salesman for giving you the truth and not just pulling a fast sales pitch.

Your obvious choice should be Panasonic and not just any model but only the ones with neo pdp panels. You can google and do a bit of research on neo pdp and infinite black pro and how these ground breaking plasma technologies set Panasonic apart from the rest.

Coming to the models........well the panasonic 2012 line up is obviously better then the 2011 models but at a price. So if ST50 looks overpriced then by all means go with ST30 which is also a winner. Would not suggest X or U series, though they make great entry level plasma's they do not have neo pdp panels. Only S, G, V series come with neo pdp panels and infinite black.

Thanks a lot Aakash so 1st choice should be Panasonic Plasma with Neo PDP (VT,GT,ST 50 series). However with budget constraints (as I expect) then what would you recommend out of Panasonic P50ST30D with Samsung PS51E550 (2012)...? Also, any idea of current market price of ST30?

Some imp development:

In Plasmas, I am getting 25% discount only on LG models? Has anyone got any experience with LG Plasmas... how are they and which model to go for in 80K-100K range - hows the Pentouch ones they have launched recently? Everyone seems to be talking about Pannasonic/Samung on this forum...:sad:

R

I too have the same question. I went to rajajinagar and realised Samsung plaza is replaced by Adishwars. So strolled into Panny showroom ..they had just opened the ST50 for display. But since its over a lac not interested. Then strolled into LG and saw the Pentouch one. When compared to the 1.5 lac 55 inch LED - I did not see much of a difference in picture quality. However compared to their LEDs, their plasma is active glasses costing 3500 each. so that seems to be the only downside

I too am willing to buy 51E550 cash down..but not even finding one at display in blore

I too have the same question. I went to rajajinagar and realised Samsung plaza is replaced by Adishwars. So strolled into Panny showroom ..they had just opened the ST50 for display. But since its over a lac not interested. Then strolled into LG and saw the Pentouch one. When compared to the 1.5 lac 55 inch LED - I did not see much of a difference in picture quality. However compared to their LEDs, their plasma is active glasses costing 3500 each. so that seems to be the only downside

I too am willing to buy 51E550 cash down..but not even finding one at display in blore

Even I am not able to find 51E550 display or even in stock, everyone is having 470 only... is it because no one but panasonic is willing to sell plasmas?

Did you see any other Plasma from LG as well - overall feedback on PQ etc? I know their LCDs / LEDs rock since I got units at my place for last 1-2 years...

i really do not know how to test a tv. I was just compared their plasmas and LEDs side by side for 2-3 mins and they looked identical.
Samsung E550 - maybe they seem to be awaiting stock. Also it comes with 3D blue ray player free..so may be that was the reason for the piece going out of stock

Latest on this...

Went to couple of Panasonic showrooms finally and saw 42XT50 (looks fab), and 2011 models 42ST30, 50UT30 all of which had good PQ but 2012 series looks sleek like any LED...

Have seen Samsung 50" 470 till now (not E550) and think its a good entry level buy as well for 55k - however will still suggest people to buy 50XT50 instead for 60-61K for entry level.

Anyways coming back to my search I surely know now that Panny has the best plasmas and would love to have 50ST50 however the price (approx 100k) is the issue and the lower model 50UT50 (approx 85k) has 3500HZ refresh rate but without neo panel. Still lower 50XT50 has 600Hz panel and without full HD (62K). About Samsung E550 (approx 75-76k) comes with 600 Hz, Full HD, 3D, Smart TV but have not seen it in action. All I see is Samsung 470 with HD, 600 Hz at 55k.

Finally the new series of LG Plasmas seems to be getting good reviews especially its 50PA6500 (600 Hz, 3D, Full HD, Premium design and very slim like Panny 2012 models) that I will get for 55k - btw 2012 50" Plasma shootout does have some LG Plasmas coming in top including LG 50PA6500 which I like - premium Full HD 50" Plasma without r Smart TV features which i dont need... checkout 50 Plasma TV: Our Top Recommended 50 Inch Plasma Televisions for 2012[/URL]

Appreciate your suggestions...

Last edited:
Continuing as the decision has not yet been made:

For 95-100K - mid premium range
Panny 50ST50 has Full HD, 3D, Smart, 2500 Hz +neo PDP panel is for 98-100k -> awesome TV ofcourse and 3 yr warranty. Clear winner in the price range.

For 80-90K - mid range

Panny 50UT50 is 50ST50 but without neoplasma panel - price 85-86k . Again 3 yr warranty.
Sammy E550 (Full HD, 3D, Smart)for 75-77k (nowadays with blue ray player) + 2 yr ext warranty will be 12-13k so total 88k approx
LG 50PZ850 Pentouch (Full HD, 3D, Smart) and most premium from LG for 71.5K (MRP 95, with 25% discount) & 2 yr ext-warranty for 10k so total 82K approx.

For 60-70K

Sammy E470 (HD Ready, No 3D) for 55-57K + 2 yr ext warranty will be 12-13k so total 68k approx
Panny 50XT50 is HD ready and 600 HZ - price 62k. Less specs but good budget Plasma for entry level with 2 yrs ext warranty. Looks awesome though...
LG PA6500 (Full HD, not smart) will cost me 55k (getting discount, MRP is 75k) + 2 years ext warranty will cost 10-11k so total 65K.

Would request fellow members to comment on the comparison and give their suggestions on each of the categories - 60/70K and 80/90K, it will help me make the final decision :clapping:

Any update of free Samsung blue ray player, when this offer is ending ?

Dont know - it started last week only so might last till mid-august, I suggest you should go for it if you are interested.

BTW Any thoughts on my choices above?

R

Dont know - it started last week only so might last till mid-august, I suggest you should go for it if you are interested.

BTW Any thoughts on my choices above?

R

I'm inclined towards Sammy E550 because of FHD, 3D, built in WiFi, power consumption is better(186W) than Panny(400W), smart app with possibilities to create your own apps using Samsung SDK.

I'm inclined towards Sammy E550 because of FHD, 3D, built in WiFi, power consumption is better(186W) than Panny(400W), smart app with possibilities to create your own apps using Samsung SDK.

Whats the price you are getting and are you taking extended warranty (price) as well?

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back